• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
ITT: Americans learn what it is like to be ignorant of the international offensive context of a common social reference.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
The music was so lame that they just replace it with some of the actually pretty cool score. Good lord this stupid-ass movie.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Well when they haven't seen it yet, they have to find legit ways to tear it down that doesn't come back to "I won't see this movie because reasons, but I will still trash it!"
Saw it, enjoyed it, the Glitter song was one of the more uncomfortable moments in the thing. They should take it out. You can criticise something like this and not have it be part of a conspiracy to bash the movie. Some things are a bit more important than comic book movie dick measuring contests.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
User Warned: Inflammatory Generalization
ITT: Americans learn what it is like to be ignorant of the international offensive context of a common social reference.
I mean it might not even actually be ignorance, Roy Moore only barely lost his election despite being a pedo. Maybe Americans just really like pedos?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Shhhhhhhhh, stop making sense. This doesn't fit their narrative.
i believe that criticism of this movie, its politics and premise is valuable. but the end-game of criticism is not necessarily "don't engage with this thing at all". bad or problematic movies have good things to teach us if we look at them critically. I don't think that the people who began this all intended to create such a firestorm, but their voice has become so amplified that any nuance in what they intended to say just doesn't translate with the way they phrased their initial comments.

In an ideal world, this would have been and still could be an opportunity to look at why violent disaffected white male loners are seen as compelling protagonists, and how that both reflects reality and vastly homogenizes it.

having that conversation is more important than stopping people from seeing a single movie, and has more influence on movie culture as a whole

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It was made by a director who lashed out at "woke culture" of course people are gonna go to bat for this movie, would it be the internet it that wasn't reason enough. Like I haven't heard many actual bad reviews but even if its a good movie people really need to chill out

I detest comic book/superhero stuff, and even I want to see this film. You can't deny this is a really shitty fucking choice though, the ignorance excuse doesn't fly, I see the same shit written about black face.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing to be learned here is to stop crying wolf about everything Joker, then serious stuff like this will actually get registered.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I am getting sick of all the woke Joker threads/articles too, it mostly seems like people are just trying to get a "gotcha" moment on people who liked the movie. But, this song is a legit criticism. The song choice is obviously going to rightfully bother a lot of people even if they otherwise enjoyed the movie. I really wish they didn't use it.

Different people are gonna have a different line that needs to be crossed when it comes to troublesome artists artwork. Being convicted of pedophilia should probably be well over that line for most people. Now, that piece of artwork being a small part of another larger artwork? That just muddies things again on whether the bigger piece of work is just as guilty and will definitely move that line for a lot of people, but it is still a problematic part of the picture.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I detest comic book/superhero stuff, and even I want to see this film. You can't deny this is a really shitty fucking choice though, the ignorance excuse doesn't fly, I see the same shit written about black face.
I'm probably gonna see the movie too but yeah it is fucking tasteless and just oh whoopsies accidentally making a convicted pedophile money doesn't cut it as an excuse

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
people really like making threads about this movie, huh?

I guess I should go watch it and see what all the fuss is about.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
people really like making threads about this movie, huh?

I guess I should go watch it and see what all the fuss is about.
I mean the worst criticism I've heard from people who watched if thinking it was just ok nothing special and lots of people seem to think it's amazing so you'll probably at least enjoy it a little

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
You know what is even more disturbing?

Penn State still plays Gary Glitter's Rock And Roll Part 2 at Football games.

A school that nearly was given the death penalty for harboring a pedophile, still plays a pedophiles music at their sporting events.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
So out of the many movies and sporting events this song is featured, this is the one that gets called out for it? What is it with this movie and the press? Are they that pissed that people like it?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the media are trying to wring and squeeze every last drop of outrage out of this movie.

I thought the song didn't really work in the film, though. It's played while Joker is doing this elaborate dance down a stairway, and Rock & Roll Part 2 is not really a "dancing" kind of song. It's more for head-bobbing and fist-pumping. Joker's dance is such a notable part of his character, it's weird that they would set his biggest dance to a song that's really not all that dance-able.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you've been in a highschool marching band you've played this song. Most don't know the name of the song, who wrote it, or who originally composed it. For me it's just "the football song."

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You know what is even more disturbing?

Penn State still plays Gary Glitter's Rock And Roll Part 2 at Football games.

A school that nearly was given the death penalty for harboring a pedophile, still plays a pedophiles music at their sporting events.
To most Americans, it's just "that sports song"
People neither know nor particularly care about the problematic aspects of the people who make the culture they consume. Look at Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Polanski, Chris Brown... The list goes on. It's mostly ignorance, for sure, but even if you told people flat out "hey you know this song the school marching band is playing is by a pedophile" most people would maybe say "oh that's a shame" and move on with their day

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
He's rich, he can absolutely still get money in jail, they don't play by the same rules as the poor
HAH, Glitter's assets were taken away from him not long after the first news broke, he aint worth shit and he's been in and out of prison since cause he's a slab of shit who can't stop touching children.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So out of the many movies and sporting events this song is featured, this is the one that gets called out for it? What is it with this movie and the press? Are they that pissed that people like it?

I mean I feel like this is something that's more easily recognized by the public in Europe, where I understand most of the positive press for this movie has come from? So it's all kind of weird in that regard.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean the worst criticism I've heard from people who watched if thinking it was just ok nothing special and lots of people seem to think it's amazing so you'll probably at least enjoy it a little
I loved the dark knight, but besides that I don't really care too much about batman.

I do like the concept of a supervillian movie though, kinda surprised we don't get more of them considering the superhero movie trend.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I mean I feel like this is something that's more easily recognized by the public in Europe, where I understand most of the positive press for this movie has come from? So it's all kind of weird in that regard.
In general the European press doesn't seem to have the same hate boner as the media in the US has for the movie; certainly not nearly the level of outrage bait or moral panic is coming from that side of the ocean

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
To most Americans, it's just "that sports song"
People neither know nor particularly care about the problematic aspects of the people who make the culture they consume. Look at Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Polanski, Chris Brown... The list goes on. It's mostly ignorance, for sure, but even if you told people flat out "hey you know this song the school marching band is playing is by a pedophile" most people would maybe say "oh that's a shame" and move on with their day

Understandable. However an institution that was rocked by a pedophile scandel shouldn't be so tone deaf, and just take that song out of their library.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard that Marc Maron once played Stairway To Heaven in a Guitar Center.
tumblr_lxa7im1wLZ1qz6f4bo1_1280.jpg

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the media are trying to wring and squeeze every last drop of outrage out of this movie.

I thought the song didn't really work in the film, though. It's played while Joker is doing this elaborate dance down a stairway, and Rock & Roll Part 2 is not really a "dancing" kind of song. It's more for head-bobbing and fist-pumping. Joker's dance is such a notable part of his character, it's weird that they would set his biggest dance to a song that's really not all that dance-able.
very true.

It almost seems like it was originally planned to be some other song that they couldn't get the rights secured for, and it had to be changed at the last minute.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
This guy is like, synonymous with the idea of turning out to be a pedo in England, so this whole thread seems sketch as fuck. Like the idea you'd see his name and not immediately cut the song is mad.

Americans have a very different relationship to this song. You heard it and still hear it everywhere when it comes to sports and no one can really name the singer. It's just ingrained in our pop culture now.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Americans have a very different relationship to this song. You heard it and still hear it everywhere when it comes to sports and no one can really name the singer. It's just ingrained in our pop culture now.
And that can be changed. Just because something has been used for a long time doesn't mean it's impossible to stop using it or that we should continue to use it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they "nearly" got the death penalty. NCAA pretty much had their arm-twisted by all the bad media coverage.

Penn State got a fine and a slap on the wrist, and the sanctions imposed against them were quietly rescinded as soon as the press died down a couple years later. The NCAA even reinstated all the victories they were supposed to have wiped from the record -- they couldn't even be bothered to go through with the most inconsequential and symbolic of punishments. In retrospect I think it's clear they probably didn't actually want to do much of anything about the scandal.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I'm surprised at so many people who don't know about Gary Glitter , even I know about his crimes :O

Edit: Also, Fuck Penn State.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Penn State got a fine and a slap on the wrist, and the sanctions imposed against them were quietly rescinded as soon as the press died down a couple years later. The NCAA even reinstated all the victories they were supposed to have wiped from the record -- they couldn't even be bothered to go through with the most inconsequential and symbolic of punishments. In retrospect I think it's clear they probably didn't actually want to do much of anything about the scandal.

What, the NCAA, of all orgnizations...corrupt? Next you'll be telling me that public media gets regular donations from the Koch Bros., or that the NFL buries evidence of long-term physical harm caused by participation in their sport!! What is this world coming to

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
The craziest part about Gary Glitter turning out to be a pedo is that his best song is literally called "Do you wanna touch me (oh yeah)"... no one could have seen this coming!

(Posting the Joan Jett version for obvious reasons)

youtu.be

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts "Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah)" OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO

Official video for "Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah)” by Joan Jett & the BlackheartsListen to Joan Jett & the Blackhearts: https://JJatBH.lnk.to/streamYD Subs...

Some highlights:
Cry at night
No one in sight
Every girl an' boy
Needs a little joy
Right or wrong
Don't it turn you on

Americans what the fuck! Stop putting pounds in the pockets of a pedo!

Didn't Subway become the largest fast food chain in the US while Jared was their mascot?

Last edited:

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Good lord. This song is played at every middle school, high school, and college sport in the country. Outrage culture.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they "nearly" got the death penalty. NCAA pretty much had their arm-twisted by all the bad media coverage.

The only reason the NCAA didn't get PSU the Death Penalty was because of the amount of people that would be directly affected by it. If PSU had to close up shop football wise for a year or two, so many people and businesses would've went bankrupt.

The NCAA didn't have the balls to punish PSU to the level they deserved.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of course the moral panic over this film was completely overblown, most of the negative reaction at all imo minus some of the pushback to the director's comments on comedies and them banning press from the red carpet. Not everything has to be dismissed outright.

But something like this is a shame, you'd think someone would have flagged it somewhere down the line. he's in prison so wouldn't have much access to any royalties at least. I just don't get why people have to do frame in the context of what's gone on before. this is dissapointing in isolation

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's been replaced over the last decade by the Black Keys. Because his crimes became more widely known.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sick of this manufactured outrage over this filum.

This all stinks of the Rockstar playbook of viral marketting.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Had no clue that was a Gary Glitter song to be honest. It's just something you hear at sporting events as far as I'd always known. Made sense within the context of the movie.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Didn't Subway become the largest fast food chain in the US while Jared was their mascot?

We should have known something was up with the way he kept trying to get into smaller and smaller pants

(Posting the Joan Jett version for obvious reasons)

Semirelatedly, what happened to Jackie Fox was unconscionable. (I don't lay that at Jett's feet -- it's 100% on Kim Fowler -- though I do look askance at the way she's described her involvement in the event in interviews. I'm absolutely not going to hold someone who was probably 17 at the time herself responsible.)

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Im not sure, this one seems an excuse to be outraged. Yes it's strange to include Glitters music in anything these days, I do agree with that point but not outrageous.

A more interesting point about Gary Glitters shunning is that while great, it does highlight how society has double standards with other convicted entertainers.