• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen Joker so I don't have a horse in this race. I'm also from the UK, so I know full-well Gary Glitter is a monster.

That being said, If people convicted of crimes don't deserve to profit from their previous works, then that's a situation for the justice system to sort out - not filmmakers. As it stands, I'm pretty sure people convicted of crimes (however heinous) can still own and earn money from intellectual and physical property.

There might be an argument to be made that being convicted of a certain severity of crime should come with a forfeit of those rights, but again, that would be a world-changing judgment that would need to be made at the highest echelons of judicial review.
It's not a question of whether he should be profiting from his work, it's a question of whether people are OK with listening to a fucking pedophile singing sweet nothings into their ear holes. That song and many others could well have been recorded just hours before or after he fucking raped a defenseless at risk child.

As we've seen many times already with other people who rape children, some people are apparently happy to continue listening to their work or watching their work.

I can't. It's vile. I don't care abiut the film one way or another.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's not a question of whether he should be profiting from his work, it's a question of whether people are OK with listening to a fucking pedophile singing sweet nothings into their ear holes. That song and many others could well have been recorded just hours before or after he fucking raped a defenseless at risk child.

As we've seen many times already with other people who rape children, some people are apparently happy to continue listening to their work or watching their work.

I can't. It's vile. I don't care abiut the film one way or another.
I was literally responding to someone who said he shouldn't be profiting from his work, which was why my post was targeted at the ramifications of that.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I had to look the song up to remember what it was. It's probably been at least a decade since I last heard it, so the artist has obviously been successfully cancelled.

But here we are... All these fans of Baby's First Taxi Driver trying to defend every questionable decision over this mediocre movie without fail, demonizing the press for even pointing it out. This truly is Trump's America.

Sir this is a Wendy's. Please place your order and pull forward.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I had to look the song up to remember what it was. It's probably been at least a decade since I last heard it, so the artist has obviously been successfully cancelled.

But here we are... All these fans of Baby's First Taxi Driver trying to defend every questionable decision over this mediocre movie without fail, demonizing the press for even pointing it out. This truly is Trump's America.

This is really the first thing I've found about this movie to be remotely questionable. All of that incel shooter fear-mongering bullshit was exactly that. Bullshit.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Gary Glitter was as "cancelled" as you can possibly get, and still gets his music in movies like this. And you still get people in this very thread complaining about everyone getting cancelled, as if they won't just ignore people's concerns anyway.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The Hey Song is everywhere and it has been like that for a while, although I agree that Glitter is massive piece of shit.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Gary Glitter was as "cancelled" as you can possibly get, and still gets his music in movies like this. And you still get people in this very thread complaining about everyone getting cancelled, as if they won't just ignore people's concerns anyway.
People aren't really complaining about things getting cancelled I don't think, it's just that in America this song is everywhere. All major sporting events, all high school sporting events, I definitely played this song in marching band after Gary Glitter was a convicted pedophile. It's nice that this will hopefully inform more people about how shitty Gary Glitter is and maybe less people will use this song now, but most of the US population knows this song, but has no idea who gary glitter is. Even whoever decided to use the song in the movie probably said something like "let's use the HEY song from baseball games at this part.". It just seems like a really dumb thing to get outraged about, like Joker has some shitty pro pedophile agenda or something, when in reality this is just a ubiquitous song in US pop culture that's just kind of there, like take me out to the ball game, or let's get ready to rumble, or duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh CHARGE!

Aine

May 27, 2019
People aren't really complaining about things getting cancelled I don't think, it's just that in America this song is everywhere. All major sporting events, all high school sporting events, I definitely played this song in marching band after Gary Glitter was a convicted pedophile. It's nice that this will hopefully inform more people about how shitty Gary Glitter is and maybe less people will use this song now, but most of the US population knows this song, but has no idea who gary glitter is. Even whoever decided to use the song in the movie probably said something like "let's use the HEY song from baseball games at this part.". It just seems like a really dumb thing to get outraged about, like Joker has some shitty pro pedophile agenda or something, when in reality this is just a ubiquitous song in US pop culture that's just kind of there, like take me out to the ball game, or let's get ready to rumble, or duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh CHARGE!

As others in this thread have said, cultural ignorance is not an excuse.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
As others in this thread have said, cultural ignorance is not an excuse.
It kind of is though imo. I dont even give any shit about this movie, but if we're gonna cancel people for using this song then we have to cancel all of US sports and a ton of other shows and movies. The office definitely used this song after Gary Glitter was a known pedophile too.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
welp, guess it's time to grab our pitchfork to cancel something that's related to someone that's related to another thing who's related to someone else... /s

let's find a reason to cancel everything, bc if you connected enough dots, you probably fucking could!

era trippin over themselves to be offended by something as usual

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, its Todd Phillip's right? The one who think comedy died because of the left wing. Also same guy who filmed a scene where they masturbate a baby and went out of the way to make sure the mother wouldnt be aware right? Seems like the type of guy who'd be bothered whether or not hes paying a pedo...

Honestly the actual scale of defense force for this dude is really ringing alarm bells.

Aine

May 27, 2019
It kind of is though imo. I dont even give any shit about this movie, but if we're gonna cancel people for using this song then we have to cancel all of US sports and a ton of other shows and movies. The office definitely used this song after Gary Glitter was a known pedophile too.

Why are you more concerned over the cancellation than the child rapist continuously getting rewarded while in prison?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Why are you more concerned over the cancellation than the child rapist continuously getting rewarded while in prison?
To be clear, fuck gary glitter to death, definitely. Please don't try to paint me as pro child rapist because I'm not outraged that someone is using that HEY song in a movie.

I also dont give a fuck about this film, and I think the Joker is fucking lame. But people bending over backwards to be outraged by this stupid ass movie is ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean, would it be better if the author wasn't paid? The guy is serving a prison sentence, prison sentences don't usually revoke intellectual property rights...

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
So," FUCK EVERYONE WHO WORKED ON THIS MOVIE" is the better answer?

I don't think they knew who Gary Glitter is, like everyone out of UK, and I think they should change the song for the home video release. But It's not like the only istance where this guy gets money from.
I'm undecided, it's pay the paedo or don't pay anyone... or don't watch it, but I'm going to watch it. I agree the song should be changed on home release.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
Even whoever decided to use the song in the movie probably said something like "let's use the HEY song from baseball games at this part.". It just seems like a really dumb thing to get outraged about, like Joker has some shitty pro pedophile agenda or something,
This is very Dunning-Kruger. The music supervisor on this film as well as the lawyers in charge of securing rights to its use will absolutely have known about the songwriter's legal history because that is literally part of their job, and there was a similar kickback against Glee using Gary Glitter songs a few years ago which you'd expect them to have taken a professional interest in, and they decided that they still wanted the song in the film.

The second part of your statement that I left in the quote is really the crux of the issue though. No one is saying Joker is a pro-pedophile movie, no one is calling people who enjoyed it pedophiles, all anyone's said is that it's really shitty for them to be using a song written by a known and (in the UK at least) high profile pedophile, and for that pedophile to now be profiting off this film's success kinda sucks. I thought the film was actually really good apart from that.

edit: grammar

Last edited:

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure Glitter no longer claims royalties from his songs. There was a massive rumour he got £500k from Oasis when they sampled one of his tracks then somebody came out and said they're the ones who receives all the money Glitter would get because he sold his catalogue shortly before being arrested the first time round.
I mean, his music still shouldn't be played for the most part due to most people's association of him, at least in the UK. Edit it with another song. I haven't seen the film though, so maybe that wouldn't work.
As much as I think we should bury a fallen artists work, I also think we should allow others to use it if they so wish then bare the consequences of doing so.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Oct 26, 2017
Nah... It might be different in America but in the UK you just don't play Gary Glitter songs. He has been scrubbed from music channels and even edited out of reruns of old music shows. You don't license his songs because he's a fucking paedophile. This is a huge movie. They know what Glitter did. It wasn't made by some backwater hillbillies who consider international affairs to be anything outside their state and just think it's a good theme for a local baseball game or whatever.
People even get embarrassed if his songs appear in a re-run of a movie from decades ago (the Full Monty has a couple of his songs and they can't be edited out because they are important scenes).
He was literally a paedophile sex tourist who raped countless young girls, some of his accusers being pre-pubescent at the time. This is not a "technically it's ephebophilia" story of someone who got mixed up between ages of consent being 16 here and 18 in America. Nor is it a "he said/she said" story. He was convicted on multiple counts for a crime that is exceptionally hard to prove, so god knows how many other crimes he got away with.

But I guess it's all good in America because it makes a really cool sports intro or something and we have to think of the hockey fans.

Yuup. The amount of indifference in this thread is a fucking yikes from me.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I heard this song when I was at a Citifield Mets game two years ago. I haven't seen the movie yet but I can't imagine any scene in which this song would fit after having seen some leaked clips of the tone it sets. What an odd choice.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is kinda funny as I didn't even really know it as a Gary Glitter song. I heard it in the film and was like 'oh, it's that Doctor Who song. I didn't think this Doctor Who song was around then but anyway...'

For those who don't know what I'm talking about it is this:

Had no idea it was a cover or anything. Always thought the Doctor Who song was original until now.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Glitter no longer claims royalties from his songs. There was a massive rumour he got £500k from Oasis when they sampled one of his tracks then somebody came out and said they're the ones who receives all the money Glitter would get because he sold his catalogue shortly before being arrested the first time round.
I mean, his music still shouldn't be played for the most part due to most people's association of him, at least in the UK. Edit it with another song. I haven't seen the film though, so maybe that wouldn't work.
As much as I think we should bury a fallen artists work, I also think we should allow others to use it if they so wish then bare the consequences of doing so.
The BBC and Billboard both reported different instances of him receiving royalties for his work in 2014. Has anything changed since?

With that said there really is an obvious agenda against this movie. All of a sudden there is a backlash but it was no big deal all of these RECENT years when its was being used in higher profile situations. Direct the backlash against everyone, dont single out the movie if you want to be viewed seriously.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Joker' is the latest case of commerce masquerading as art

New piece by the cnn. This movie truly doesn't deserve to be called art.
Translation: "These uppity comic book movies should know their place!"

Trash take. This is the most bizarre viewpoint:

The most significant gripe about "Joker," in fact, is that there's no real reason for it, beyond the expectation -- accurately, as it turns out -- that the name recognition, wedded to the talent involved, would prove to be a box-office draw.

How dare they try to ensure the movie is successful?!

This movie continues to do a number on peoples brain.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
With that said there really is an obvious agenda against this movie. All of a sudden there is a backlash but it was no big deal all of these RECENT years when its was being used in higher profile situations.

It's not something personal people have against the film. In the UK we do not play Gary Glitter, even if Rock & Roll #2 is a banger. It's been like this since long before people started complaining about 'cancel culture'.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, its Todd Phillip's right? The one who think comedy died because of the left wing. Also same guy who filmed a scene where they masturbate a baby and went out of the way to make sure the mother wouldnt be aware right? Seems like the type of guy who'd be bothered whether or not hes paying a pedo...

Honestly the actual scale of defense force for this dude is really ringing alarm bells.
Wait what? Can you provide some context for this?

Oct 2, 2018

It's not something personal people have against the film. In the UK we do not play Gary Glitter, even if Rock & Roll #2 is a banger. It's been like this since long before people started complaining about 'cancel culture'.

Somewhat ironically, the rocker bro dude on glee is a pedophile. Mark Salling killed himself

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Can you provide some context for this?

There was an article linked about it in a previous thread. There was some quotes in there too about the situation with him explaining to the dad why he shouldn't tell the mother because hes a fan of his other films. Can't find it immediately with a google search but I'll check my history and see if I can find it again.

Edit: think it was this one https://web.archive.org/web/2010021...-the-hangover-as-hangover-week-continues-7054

The website is kind of half functional for me now though so I'm a little unsure of its authenticity now. Will try see if there's an original source

Last edited:

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I'm undecided, it's pay the paedo or don't pay anyone... or don't watch it, but I'm going to watch it. I agree the song should be changed on home release.

I don't think it's gonna be changed on DVD/Bluray.
Maybe in the UK Edition but not the rest of the world.

This song often plays on Thai sports news too (Mostly on Recap)

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is weird lately. No E3. Confirming PS5 release window without so much as a hype video.
Edit: Wrong thread lol

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
1. Holy crap THIS is the song? It's so iconic; you hear it at least once a month somewhere

2. This was in "Joker?" I haven't seen it yet but it feels like a strange song to be in that movie. *shrugs*