• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That cinematography, wow.

9tj83abun3q21.jpg
giphy.gif

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I wasn't particularly impressed and it looks ''ok''.
The cinematography is nice though.

Edit: hopefully he turns into Joker at least halfway through the film that looks like the fun part of this.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I wasn't too hot on it the first time. After a couple of viewings though, damn, it really is one of the best trailers I've seen in years.

Movie might be just ok but this trailer was fantastic.

Oct 26, 2017

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Every generation thinks the same thing... because they are SO special and unique. See also Fight Club and Taxi Driver.
I'd wait till it comes out before comparing it to Taxi Driver in any way. Taxi Driver is one of the greatest films of all time. Just because it aims for the same tone and themes doesn't mean it succeeds.

Oct 26, 2017
The amusing thing is I can't tell if you're talking about Batman or Joker because they'd both qualify.
If only that "both sides of the same coin" thing had been discussed endlessly before now! Oh wait...

Regardless, Batman is a billionaire that fights crime. The Joker is far more possible and as he seems to be portrayed in this trailer would fit in with the other well known serial killers.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think they'll play out that scene he did in The Dark Knight Returns where he murders everyone on set when he was on a late night show in the scene where we see Robert De Niro in the trailer? (Or perhaps in the movie at all) It'd be crazy if so.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only that "both sides of the same coin" thing had been discussed endlessly before now! Oh wait...

Regardless, Batman is a billionaire that fights crime. The Joker is far more possible and as he seems to be portrayed in this trailer would fit in with the other well known serial killers.

Yeesh chill with the snapping tongue dude.

That's the whole reason this movie even exists. The people working on this aren't doing a comic book movie. He may wear clown makeup and have a sinister laugh, but he isn't going to be some criminal mastermind with a grand plan to swamp Gotham in laughing gas.

This is clearly about a mentally ill and unstable adult who loses his mother, his anchor, and as he descends further into madness without her, rather than help him, the world begins to idolise him (as shown by the people with "Jokerface") because, really, it's as broken as he is and his desire to "bring laughter and joy to the world" is twisted into something monstrous.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It looks like it could be something special. Definitely a mix of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy from the looks of it.

Figuring Joker kills the entire audience there somehow.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i would have loved to see David Fincher make this. Have a feeling its gonna be PG-13/12. And not as dark as some might want.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So many people already jumping to conclusions how this movie is going to expect the audience to sympathize with The Joker. I doubt they'll be that stupid.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
an adaptation can be its own thing. it doesn't need to be defined by its relation to something else, even its source material.

Of course, and if the movie's ultimately good, it won't matter, but the trailer is so serious and the source material is so silly that I personally find it odd. It would be like if there was an intimate relationship drama about divorce set in the Harry Potter universe and all the characters were muggles. Sure you CAN do it, and maybe it'll be good, but why even bother setting it in that universe to begin with?

That said, it's just my initial reaction to the trailer. I'm not a Todd Phillips fan, but I'm keeping an open mind because I'm sure Joaquin Phoenix is gonna kill this shit.

Oct 2, 2018
watched it this morning and didnt know what to make of the trailer.

I just thought "I'm not sure how they're going to align this loser dude = super villian". He can barely function in society.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This looks excellent. Treating comic book movies as its own genre with specific formats, rules, etc is honestly something I feel is holding them back, and just making comic book inspired films that cover all sorts of genres and the entire spectrum of cinematography is the next step forward. I hope this succeeds in a way that allows more of these kind of endeavours in the future.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
There's a limit to how seriously I can take super hero shit and this trailer blew right passed it.

It feels like you're coming in here to aggressively stake your claim that you don't take super hero/villain movies as seriously as other people do.

Which is weird.

Superhero movies have taken over the film world, of course they're going to keep getting darker, grittier, deeper, more serious, etc. I personally love it!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
This looks excellent. Treating comic book movies as its own genre with specific formats, rules, etc is honestly something I feel is holding them back, and just making comic book inspired films that cover all sorts of genres and the entire spectrum of cinematography is the next step forward. I hope this succeeds in a way that allows more of these kind of endeavours in the future.
Same. I am tired of Marvel movies, but there is such a rich plethora of characters and stories that can be told using the medium as inspiration that just has me hopeful for more more like this, Logan, and Spider-Verse.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before you go around calling this a "real film", I think you should go look at the writer/Directors IMDB page.

This all looks great so far, but try and keep your hype in check.
legitimately had no idea Todd Philips had a hand in Borat until this post. maybe I was wrong about him.

Officially on the hype train