• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I know standalone movies are good, but if this is really a good movie I kinda want a trilogy. A 2nd one told from Jokers perspective still, with Batman, as the main supporting character, and a final bring it around full circle Logan esque ender.

I think there's potential here.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

I actually think DC would be better served by just doing that really. Just make separate films like they used to.

Copying Marvel isn't working anyway.

I think they can do it just fine, they just had to get rid of some people. DC/WB are now in a pretty good place to build up the universe with their solo films coming up and down the line they can start reconnecting them and do a team up properly this time. See the current DCEU as a restart post-Snyder.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This is Todd Phillips first CBM and first serious drama directed movie

His past MOVIES RT

War dogs : 60
Hangover 3: 20
Hangover 2: 33
Due Date: 40
The Hangover: 78

Point to note : Russo brothers had a similar terrible movie record before their first marvel movie

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like you're coming in here to aggressively stake your claim that you don't take super hero/villain movies as seriously as other people do.

Which is weird.

Superhero movies have taken over the film world, of course they're going to keep getting darker, grittier, deeper, more serious, etc. I personally love it!

Naw, I really like a lot of super hero movies, but if you don't think there's a level of silliness to a billionaire dressing up as a bat and punching a psychotic clown, I don't know what to tell you. Silliness isn't a bad thing, and is inherent in the vast majority of super hero comics, which is why I find it weird that people get so excited when it's absent in the film adaptations.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, I really like a lot of super hero movies, but if you don't think there's a level of silliness to a billionaire dressing up as a bat and punching a psychotic clown, I don't know what to tell you. Silliness isn't a bad thing, and is inherent in the vast majority of super hero comics, which is why I find it weird that people get so excited when it's absent in the film adaptations.
Fantasy is/can be silly too, doesn't mean every fantasy story/movie/show has to be an over-the-top D&D-style hero's journey adventure. Superhero stories can be as horrific as Animal Man, noirish and psychological as Moon Knight, earnest as Superman, pulpy as Batman. Not all stories have to embrace the silliness

It's not getting excited by the absence. It's being excited by the different approach. I love Logan but I'd like a comic-accurate X-Men movie too. Gotham and Tim Burton's super-stylized gothic-art-deco approach are just as valid as Nolan's grounded Batman

Oct 26, 2017

His past MOVIES RT

Point to note : Russo brothers had a similar terrible movie record before their first marvel movie
He's hit or miss, but like you pointed out, other comic book movie directors have had spotty track records as well and made great films.

A lot of this movie feels like a passion project of his as well from what I've read (him doing a Taxi Driver styled film in lieu of a remake).

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

His past MOVIES RT

War Dogs is underrated.
You are missing a few there.

Starsky and Hutch 62
Old School 60
Road Trip 57

And he was a writer on Borat.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that this joker could work because is an interesting take to see how the joker evil thanks to the society making his mental illness worse, rather than him being evil just for the lolz/acid. That makes him a more scarier villain since it will be someone that already exists in the real world

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Whether or not the film ends up good, at least we'll always have that trailer. It looks terrific and I love Joaquin.

Oct 26, 2017
Please.

THis has never happened ever, every time you give a backstory to a well known charterer that character is ruined. It's not evil anymore, it's just another victim.

Rubbish
Don't "please" me. Your take isn't THE take. What I said is perfectly reasonable approach to this and is based on an analysis of the character as a whole. You and others criticising this have no clue what they're going to do with this story but yet you're coming at it as if it's already a problem.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Don't "please" me. Your take isn't THE take. What I said is perfectly reasonable approach to this and is based on an analysis of the character as a whole. You and others criticising this have no clue what they're going to do with this story but yet you're coming at it as if it's already a problem.
Oh yeah, perfectly reasonable, because we have so many examples of movie characters improved by that point of view, isn't it? It's not like your approach has been done thousands of time and it has always had result from mediocre to rubbish.

Let me complete the sentence, Please stop pushing a banal and lame approach that almost never worked pretending it to be somewhat deep

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
The thing with a movie like this that takes a pre-established character and makes their own spin on it is that it can't possibly "ruin" the character for anyone by proxy of its nature. If you have a favorite Batman canon, watch/read those stories and forget about the others. This movie won't be connected to any other film or comic in the franchise, and that's a beautiful thing.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's hit or miss, but like you pointed out, other comic book movie directors have had spotty track records as well and made great films.

A lot of this movie feels like a passion project of his as well from what I've read (him doing a Taxi Driver styled film in lieu of a remake).

This doesn't really feel like it's meant to be a comic book movie, either. Phoenix wanted to do a character study and this is a relatively low budget movie. There probably won't be any big set pieces or wacky schemes like holding the city hostage with laughing gas. The scale will probably feel pretty small.

Feels more like a movie about a guy with mental health issues and a very tenuous grip on reality slowly losing his mind, only to snap and become something monstrous. I'm not even sure he'll become a criminal mastermind in this or if his actions will simply inspire other broken people to do terrible things in his name.

There's no way we're getting a sequel to this after all, Phoenix only signed up to this because there wouldn't be, so it's not going to set up future movies or anything like that. This seems like it's a self-contained exploration of not just the Joker, but Gotham as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, perfectly reasonable, because we have so many examples of movie characters improved by that point of view, isn't it? It's not like your approach has been done thousands of time and it has always had result from mediocre to rubbish.

Let me complete the sentence, Please stop pushing a banal and lame approach that almost never worked pretending it to be somewhat deep
People love him because he's easy to categorise. Simplistically evil. He's the unrestrained force of nature people wish they could be, which is why he's ALREADY loved and admired by many as a character.

But here's a question for you: Do you love serial killers, do you respect them, forgive them for their actions despite many of them being abused as youngsters? Because that's a reality of the real world that you live in right now. I for one find them to be monstrous and their actions so beyond the pale that no backstory could ever make up for it.

I for one would like to see a more realistic take on the character. I want people to feel a little sick to their stomach that they saw a little of themselves in an ultimately abhorrent character.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy is/can be silly too, doesn't mean every fantasy story/movie/show has to be an over-the-top D&D-style hero's journey adventure. Superhero stories can be as horrific as Animal Man, noirish and psychological as Moon Knight, earnest as Superman, pulpy as Batman. Not all stories have to embrace the silliness

It's not getting excited by the absence. It's being excited by the different approach. I love Logan but I'd like a comic-accurate X-Men movie too. Gotham and Tim Burton's super-stylized gothic-art-deco approach are just as valid as Nolan's grounded Batman

I totally agree with this, but in every example you've mentioned, there is still plenty of silly and fantastical elements. They're still there, they're just not front and center at all times. Like, yeah, you could make a fantasy movie that's just two characters sitting in a hobbit hole ruminating about death for 2 hours, but then why even bother making it a fantasy movie? That's what this trailer feels like to me.

And again, this is only based on the trailer. That's what I'm reacting to. The final film could be very different.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

His past MOVIES RT

This is what im talking about

Shazam and Aquaman had directors that never tried their hand in a super-hero movie, and they actually did good to great jobs.

Maybe warner found its way

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

His past MOVIES RT

The Russo's career pre-MCU was far more impressive than Todd Phillips'. Yes, the Russo's didn't have the most impressive movie track record, but their tv stuff was very well received. I mean, they were one of the parties behind the start of what is considered by many to be one of the best comedy shows of all time (Arrested Development). And of course they were one of the main creative forces behind Community, a show that is also loved by many and a critical darling.

Todd Phillips' most notable career achievement is co-writing Borat and, uhm, giving the world The Hangover, I guess.

There's also the fact that this seems to be DC doing a Logan-esque film (where the director basically has full say over what kind of movie he wants to make), which is vastly different than the MCU Russo films, which have been mostly devoid of a personal touch. It's very obviously trying to evoke classic Scorsese films, which is a type of film Todd Phillips has never, ever made before, so of course people are a bit wary considering (almost) all Todd Phillips has done so far are middle-of-the-road comedies and not strong character drama.

Now I'm also looking forward to Joker, the trailer looks interesting and the concept sounds good, but comparing Phillips with the Russo's is weird. This movie seems to be something totally different than what the MCU is going for.

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Why is Joker putting a smile on Bruce Wayne's face? Bruce seems rather young with a 40 something joker. By the time Batman is in his mid 20s, Joker would be 60ish. Weird.

It's an Elseworld story, so this isn't necessarily the same Joker that Batman is always fighting. This universe may never even have a Batman, for all we know.

Oct 25, 2017
Got some bad news for you.
7051.jpg

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
This looks terrible. It reeks of 'Oscar bait' from the trailer. It's also one of the most unnecessary films of all time - I don't want or need to know the Joker became a psychotic killer because his mum was ill and he was bullied at work. It ruins the character and reduces everything about him.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This looks terrible. It reeks of 'Oscar bait' from the trailer. It's also one of the most unnecessary films of all time - I don't want or need to know the Joker became a psychotic killer because his mum was ill and he was bullied at work. It ruins the character and reduces everything about him.

It doesn't ruin the character any more than AVP ruins Alien/Aliens.

If it works it wcould be an interesting take on a character in a "what if?" style. If it doesn't, it won't undo all the great moments the character has had and will have.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This is not the same Joker as those other Jokers though. This ain't the backstory of Heath Ledger's, Jack Nicholson's or Mark Hamill's Joker, this is something completely different and you will probably never see this same Joker in anything ever again after the movie. So I'm not sure how this "ruins the character and reduces everything about him".

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Jesus...

And remakes ruin the original, right?

Don't watch the movie and you'll be just fine.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh don't worry, you won't be alone. I'm pretty confident comic book fans are going to hate this movie. I can't see this movie going down super well with that crowd and that's just from this trailer.