• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I could see this proto- Joker hearing about the Wayne's deaths on TV and making a trip to the Manor in the hopes of putting a smile on an orphan boy's face.
Or visiting him after killing his parents.

Absolutely. The whole teaser is him putting on a happy face he doesn't believe.
There's a childlike innocence too with this depiction of the Joker that will make his fall much more tragic.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a weird opinion, but I think my favourite part of the trailer is at 0:53 with Arthur sitting down with the girlfriend and you can see the sadness in his eyes while trying to smile.

Nope, it's one of the small details I noticed too. The flicker of sadness after the smile. Phoenix is an acting god.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This looks terrible. It reeks of 'Oscar bait' from the trailer. It's also one of the most unnecessary films of all time - I don't want or need to know the Joker became a psychotic killer because his mum was ill and he was bullied at work. It ruins the character and reduces everything about him.

It's not self-congratulatory enough to be Oscar bait.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
lolwat

That's bullshit

Did you actually read the article? It's not. Entertainment regularly uses mental illness as a quick explanation for why a character is villainous; which reinforces stereotypes about people who do struggle with mental illness, even though they are more likely to be a victim than a perpetrator. It's often used to describe people in the real world who engage in criminality because it's easier to accept as an answer than the simple fact that some people are just evil, and most of us possess the capability to cross that line. It also ignores how many people actually do suffer from mental illness by presenting them as some kind of aberration.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Entertainment regularly uses mental illness as a quick explanation for why a character is villainous
And that doesn't seem to be what this movie's doing. It looks like he's a victim for a long time before he turns to crime and murder. The Joker in The Dark Knight was a character who was simply pure evil, but not this depiction. The movie to me looks like it's criticizing how places like Gotham deal with mental illness. He's not simply evil because of mental illness here.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
And that doesn't seem to be what this movie's doing. It looks like he's a victim for a long time before he turns to crime and murder. The Joker in The Dark Knight was a character who was simply pure evil, but not this depiction. The movie to me looks like it's criticizing how places like Gotham deal with mental illness.

The article does specifically state that this could be the case with this movie; it uses the fact that the early part of the trailer focuses on his mental illness as a jumping off point to talk about a larger issue.

Also, the tweet in question explicitly says "if" and asks a question. It's surprisingly not clickbaity at all. Again, is anyone reading the article?

OP
OP
Gravity Insanity
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty cool.
qY3H0MH.png

https://www.instagram.com/anarchy_graphics/

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018

Such bulshit

From what I could gather from the story:

He is mentally ill, probably has been for all of his life. His mother is also mentally ill (probably hereditary), and that's why she goes to Arkham.
Arthur is already very lonely, lives only with his mother, and after she passes away (when he cries in the subway / smashes his head in the phoneboot), he snaps.

Not because of his ill per se, but because society was fucking shit to him. We see people mistreating him during the trailer.

If the movie critices the way mentally ill people are treated by society, how is that a bad thing? My cousin is mentally ill and sometimes I wonder how bad is his life.
Almost no friends, no job, being bullied for all of his life ...
If they turn a spotlight on this subject It would be a plus to me.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
His journal reads:

The worst part about having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't.

This really got me.

From someone that has been dealing with panic attacks, overwhelming anxiety, clinical depression and social phobia for years (of course, while doing treatment and slowly/painfully getting better), i do believe this movie will generate a lot of very important discussions about how media should tackle these sensitive topics and the dangers of potentializing dangerous behaviours through outside validation.

Feels like they nailed the portrayal of someone that have been over an insane amount of stress for a long time, and, from all fronts possible. The subtle yet effective expressions of someone's who seems to be ready to snap at any time, is completely unnerving, relatable in a level that scares the hell out of me.

It's hard, very hard, but i really hope we can give credits to the filmmakers, considering it's a very powerful study of character, even while being one that's very hard to swallow.

Of course, seeking professional help is always the best course of action and i'm hopeful that the movie will contextualize why in this specific case it was simply too much for Arthur, with so little to compensate. This world is way too big and it's important to paint a picture for this specific perspective, otherwise people are doomed to commit similar, irreparable mistakes.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What if they surprise us all and have his life prejoker (basically this trailer) only be like the first 30 minutes? I'd love to see how crazy and maniacal Phoenix could be as a full on Joker

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
This is still unsubstantiated, so I didn't think it was thread-worthy, but a leaked script of Joker may be going around, and it's not great.

Original tweet:

Some more context:

Some responses from people who would be in a position to see a leaked script:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This is still unsubstantiated, so I didn't think it was thread-worthy, but a leaked script of Joker may be going around, and it's not great.

Original tweet:

Some more context:

Some responses from people who would be in a position to see a leaked script:

This seems worthy of a new thread? Also, media-illiterate morons on the internet were always going to flock to this fucking thing. That should have been expected.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who saw that trailer would know that the movie would glorify its protagonist, on a certain level. And the superficial is what people with that inclination would inevitably glom onto. Just like those who argue Light is the hero in Death Note.

The importance, I think, comes from the nuance. Surely, while conveying a sympathetic story from the perspective of the villain protagonist, there are substantial elements which properly underline the fact that he's not a good person, and admonish his actions.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Bigots, misogynists, homophobes, the alt-right and incels are always inundated by a significant number of people who see the Joker as an aspirational figure. You'd hope the creators of any media featuring the Joker would internalize that and stay aware of how they present and frame the character.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Bigots, misogynists, homophobes, the alt-right and incels are always inundated by a significant number of people who see the Joker as an aspirational figure. You'd hope the creators of any media featuring the Joker would internalize that and stay aware of how they present and frame the character.
And I got blasted here months ago for saying that the Joker could be a little too inspirational to some people with this movie

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
And I got blasted here months ago for saying that the Joker could be a little too inspirational to some people with this movie
Heh Hype probably blinded a few people. Though in general critically thinking about what exactly a movie can reinforce in an audience is something many people want to ignore. More people need to come to terms with the idea that media doesn't make anyone do anything but it is capable of fortifying the ideals and mindsets already present in a person.

Not making any solid judgment calls but I just hope that when I'm about to buy my ticket, I won't hear about any "Joker did nothing wrong" type shit from people who end up seeing the movie.

Sep 12, 2018
This trailer played for me before Endgame and whether it turns out to be good or not I appreciate the fact that DC are making their movies visually striking as opposed to the MCU's very flat, grey and soft approach.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Such bulshit

From what I could gather from the story:

He is mentally ill, probably has been for all of his life. His mother is also mentally ill (probably hereditary), and that's why she goes to Arkham.
Arthur is already very lonely, lives only with his mother, and after she passes away (when he cries in the subway / smashes his head in the phoneboot), he snaps.

Not because of his ill per se, but because society was fucking shit to him. We see people mistreating him during the trailer.

If the movie critices the way mentally ill people are treated by society, how is that a bad thing? My cousin is mentally ill and sometimes I wonder how bad is his life.
Almost no friends, no job, being bullied for all of his life ...
If they turn a spotlight on this subject It would be a plus to me.

That sounds like a great premise for a movie about mental illness but I'm unsure whether having Joker being the centre of that story is a good idea.