• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Are we going to live in a society were the Joker wins not one but TWO Oscars for two different movies?

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And so? Joker is also a symbol of silly gamer rise up and mocking edgelord memes. Do you expect DC to kill off the character and never use him again because some bad people make use of him?

Frankly it's kind of annoying how MCU fans are trying to bring up a moral panic over a film just because they're mad at critics/award committees for not properly praising Kevin Feige and his films. Marvel doesn't deserve awards for simply existing. No one does. The billions of dollars they've earned at the BO should be enough for them and their fans.

Which is all funny considering it used to be DCEU fans who were the ones raging at critics a few years back.

Damn dude you went hard. I do agree with you though.

I think we should at least wait for the movie to come out first before we all start acting like we've all actually seen the movie.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
And so? Joker is also a symbol of silly gamer rise up and mocking edgelord memes. Do you expect DC to kill off the character and never use him again because some bad people make use of him?

Frankly it's kind of annoying how MCU fans are trying to bring up a moral panic over a film just because they're mad at critics/award committees for not properly praising Kevin Feige and his films. Marvel doesn't deserve awards for simply existing. No one does. The billions of dollars they've earned at the BO should be enough for them and their fans.

Which is all funny considering it used to be DCEU fans who were the ones raging at critics a few years back.

When have I ever come across as an MCU fan? Please let me know.

And I don't expect DC to "kill of the character". I'm pointing out the connection that even The Guardian is reporting on, though they obviously come to a different conclusion.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Damn dude you went hard. I do agree with you though.

I think we should at least wait for the movie to come out first before we all start acting like we've all actually seen the movie.

I don't even like most Marvel or DC fans. It's just when you look at the tweet history of Twitter users concern trolling over this movie they're usually Marvel fans.

Marvel films are doing gangbusters at the BO. They're cultural touchstones. Why should their lack of excellent critical praise and awards stop you from enjoying them? If it does you're just greedy. Try being a fan of indie films and horror films like I am. You don't see me raging all over twitter because films like Booksmart and Midsommar aren't making billions of dollars.

Deleted member 5260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are already putting together online harassment "gangs" inspired by the movie. #JokerGang is one on Twitter. Won't be long until they move it to real life and start beating up people while wearing clown masks.

Are you referring to Batman Beyond or real life?

Era doesn't have a problem with Joker being a good film. Just a few salty MCU/Disney fans seem to though.

Yup. Always a tough scene when so much of your identity is wrapped up in the products of a mega corporation that you feel attacked when another mega corporation puts out a product that some people like more.

Oct 28, 2018
This is truly it. The alt right has won the culture war. There's no going back.

/s

Last edited:

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I can't wait for the internet fall out when Joker gets a best picture nom and not Endgame.

Anyway, very unexpected honestly. I had no idea Todd Philips had it in him.

Endgame was real good but hardly deserving of any kind of writing or directing Oscars. I haven't seen Joker so I can't speak to how I feel about its quality and I refuse to pontificate about it until I see it. Those limited view kiddies raging about Avengers really need to expand their film repertoire. It's insane.

Regarding Todd Philips I'm unsure of how to phrase it. He made specific choices with his early stuff and it seems to me they were based on career forwarding less so crafting prestige level films. All his comedies made huge amounts of money so it stands to reason he did too and continued along until Joker came to his head and he decided to make it a passion project. This sort of trajectory happens all the time in the industry.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I had no idea the new Joker was being used by the alt-right. How?
What I'm reading here in Europe about the movie is quite the opposite. Reviewers are saying the movie reflects on the gap between classes, social injustice, and echo movements such as Occupy Wall Street.
"The workers' rage turned here into street violence finds in a clown's face the symbol of an uncomfortable revolution, which mobilizes the bases against the powerful, against the same sick society that has created its new champion of social justice".

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This is truly it. The alt right has won the culture war. There's no going back.
giphy.gif

Already the most entertaining movie of the year and it's not even out yet.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Great, I cannot wait for people to use the movie as an excuse to commit atrocities that would otherwise have never been committed without the propaganda that is Sir Todd Phillip's "Joker". Fuck you Todd and fuck you too violent videogames!

/s

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I had no idea the new Joker was being used by the alt-right. How?
What I'm reading here in Europe about the movie is quite the opposite. Reviewers are saying the movie reflects on the gap between classes, social injustice, and echo movements such as Occupy Wall Street.
"The workers' rage turned here into street violence finds in a clown's face the symbol of an uncomfortable revolution, which mobilizes the bases against the powerful, against the same sick society that has created its new champion of social justice".
Also regarding co-opting clowns, even if not Joker specifically. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clandestine_Insurgent_Rebel_Clown_Army
The Clandestine Insurgent Rebel Clown Army (also known as CIRCA and Clown Army[1]) is an anti-authoritarian left-wing activist group that uses clowning and non-violent tactics to act against corporate globalisation, war, and on other issues. The group originated circa 2003 in the United Kingdom.

CIRCA has active groups in the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Denmark, Germany, and Israel, and many other groups have appeared that have been inspired by the work of the original group

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I watched the king of comedy today. Nice movie not good as Taxi Driver obviously . Joker themetically fits perfect to combine them

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Manabyte got permabanned for whining on Twitter about his temp ban for trying to derail this thread in bad faith. Rip

Also the director of the Hangover movies has come a loooong way