• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
untitled-1kqjwhckdep.gif

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all really need to just, like, go outside or something.

Anyway, that's pretty damn cool. Fingers crossed the movie lives up to the hype for me.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
This is sort of why I like that the DCEU crash and burned. Not everything needs to be in a cohesive extended universe, so this is allowed to be its own thing divorced from anything else and not beholden to a style or any kind of standard so that it "meshes". That lets something like this take risks and be actual art while the MCU will simply keep putting out toy movies that won't tarnish the brand.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's not the film's fault that the Joker became a meme during the time that it was being made, and most of the world doesn't even know about the meme.

Unless the film really is a cynical, hateful turd, this pre-release backlash is gonna seem super weird in a few years once the meme is long forgotten.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
David Ehrlich in full defensive mode after this wins Venice post his negative review. Seems to confirm his bias in this matter rather than respecting others opinions

I really don't understand why people give this guy any legitimacy. He's always got some kind of grudge or agenda. It's tiring. Just ignore him like I do.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of funny, whatever happened to "the we read the script" people for joker ?

Nothing? I just don't feel like arguing my 100% accurate assessment of the film with people who think "movie about sad white man wins award" is some kind of vindication of their opinion of a movie they haven't seen. "Joker and Polanski win top honors" is maybe not the headline to gloat about.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure but I am starting to think that this movie is actually going to be really good.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why people give this guy any legitimacy. He's always got some kind of grudge or agenda. It's tiring. Just ignore him like I do.

I think his opinions are mostly very good and he's one of the best film writers in the business, his reviews are a joy to read a lot of the times, but a lot of his statements about Joker made me believe that he's too hung up on potential reactions of other societal groups rather than his own.

It's Indiewire, after all. Sometimes they are spot on, other times you can't believe you even visit the site.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm sure it's a great movie. My concern is more rooted in that, combined with the financial popularity of comic book movies in general these days, studios start green lighting more movies that are made with a comic book veneer over other films that are not.

I've got nothing against comic books, but I am concerned that studios start making decisions on whether to produce films based on the monetary gains they get from such a decision more than because the movie itself is worth making. If comic book movies are now winning awards at prestigious film festivals, there's even less risk funding them now. I'm also concerned that they don't give attention to films that deserve to be made because they're a bigger financial risk because they're not rooted in a comic book foundation.

It's all basically just me being paranoid about capitalism.

just watch korean cinema, french cinema, chinese cinema, polish cinema, spanish cinema ... you know. lol not everything has to be so USA centered

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
calling it: joker wins BO and endgame isn't nominated. the next decade of comic book movie discussions are going to be lit. absolutely lit. my blood hasn't burned this intense in a long time.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be more excited if The shape of Water hadn't won back in 2017 (didn't like it) but still, awesome news, hopefully!

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
calling it: joker wins BO and endgame isn't nominated. the next decade of comic book movie discussions are going to be lit. absolutely lit. my blood hasn't burned this intense in a long time.

Why would endgame be nominated for anything other than like VFX tho. Im sure they are well aware it wont get much attention there outside of technical noms

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
As if i wasn't already sold after the first teaser,became a big fan of his work after watching You Were Never Really Here.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
All the Midwestern guys with Joker tattoos will be taking queues from Phoenix and not Ledger from now on and honestly that's the biggest change.

ph2tfo5goiv21.jpg

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I swear this movie is helping me separate those who review movies as movies rather than those who score a movie based on their personal non-movie related views

movie twitter equating Joker movie with 2 controversial men. You can already tell what narrative they are trying to manufacture.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Why would endgame be nominated for anything other than like VFX tho. Im sure they are well aware it wont get much attention there outside of technical noms
oh come on. it's plainly obvious there is a huge desire to see endgame nominated and actually win from the mcu fandom.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Today was an important moment in film history, a before and after. DC now makes films (dare I even say Kino? ) and Marvel makes movies (cape-flicks). Money doesn't matter anymore, Joker burnt all of it. Transcendence has been achieved. I'm drunk.

As if i wasn't already sold after the first teaser,became a big fan of his work after watching You Were Never Really Here.

That movie needs more love. Lynne Ramsey and Joaquin had an interesting process. I really love Joaquin's physicality and how he challenges his own body. No actor in Hollywood is doing that. He is almost like a dancer, contorting in every shape to tell something about the character's inner life.

Edit: outside of motion capture artists like Andy Serkis obviously

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The tantrum from movie critics on twitter is funny. No different from the outrage and infighting in review threads here. I guess they are torn on it because of the comics roots. I wonder if their opinion would have been different if Phoenix was simply playing a common dude and not a well known comic antagonist.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tantrum from movie critics on twitter is funny. No different from the outrage and infighting in review threads here. I guess they are torn on it because of the comics roots. I wonder if their opinion would have been different if Phoenix was simply playing a common dude and not a well known comic antagonist.
Critics rise up!

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Naw. Plenty expect this movie to signal boost the alt-right and inspire violence.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is sort of why I like that the DCEU crash and burned. Not everything needs to be in a cohesive extended universe, so this is allowed to be its own thing divorced from anything else and not beholden to a style or any kind of standard so that it "meshes". That lets something like this take risks and be actual art while the MCU will simply keep putting out toy movies that won't tarnish the brand.

I like you.