• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
DC have really turned things around since the Snyder days, I'm really happy for them and I'm looking forward to watching this.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be so cool if this opened up the way for other solo villain movies like Mr. Freeze.

Best Picture 2022 – Calendar Man

All anyone had to do was watch his portrayal of Claudius in Gladiator to realize he's perfect for Joker
Was my first exposure to Phoenix and I thought this guy is either really high or kind of hilariously into it. He even tried to stick his tongue out at one point and I was like, oooh someone saw a statue in Italy and got an idea

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Can't believe some of the reactions from critics, are they this afraid of cape books trying to do something more than a tentpole? Comes off as a whiny "muh culture?!" type of stuff.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Would anyone mind explaining why some people are saying this movie is alt-right? I'm totally out of the loop and have only seen one of the trailer that came out a long time ago.
It's assumed by some that the subject matter- a white man with mental issues being bullied and not being given help by society before turning to harming innocents instead of seeking help himself- might inspire the alt-right in some manner, or that it might be used to try to recruit young men to the alt-right.

... but realistically, the alt-right (the alt-light in particular) does this with every piece of remotely popular media that can be implied to apply to their world view at some point in the story. So unless the film objectively portrays the Joker as spouting blatant white nationalist talking points and implies he is completely in the right to do so, there's really nothing to worry about. And it doesn't seem like that's even remotely the case.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I can't wait to see it. Been hyped since the first trailer.

Wonder what direction Todd Phillips goes in next.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That thread has always been terrible.
tbh i don't really begrudge ppl from making assessments given the material available. i just think the idea that 'alt right incels' would feel more energized/culturally influenced by a movie about a comic villain than the literal leader of the free world openly courting that same demographic reeks ass of similar PMRC/CCA hysteria

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
It's assumed by some that the subject matter- a white man with mental issues being bullied and not being given help by society before turning to harming innocents instead of seeking help himself- might inspire the alt-right in some manner, or that it might be used to try to recruit young men to the alt-right.

... but realistically, the alt-right (the alt-light in particular) does this with every piece of remotely popular media that can be implied to apply to their world view at some point in the story. So unless the film objectively portrays the Joker as spouting blatant white nationalist talking points and implies he is completely in the right to do so, there's really nothing to worry about. And it doesn't seem like that's even remotely the case.

This.

There's a lot of people who consider themselves cinema literate who miss the point of films like American Psycho, Taxi Driver and Fight Club and think they're endorsing the nature of the lead characters. And then go online and rant and rave about how dangerous they are, when the truth is you have to already be batshit insane to watch those films and think the lead characters are in the right.

Sane people don't watch Natural Born Killers and relate to Mickie and Mallory.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible, we went from that pile of shit 'damaged' (Leto) Joker, to this one.
I wonder what DC is doing for their universe in grander scheme of things, especially post acquisition.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Joker |OT| Il leone nella società

On topic: I've read a lot of reviews and I'm still not quite sold on it, I think something's afoot but I'm happy to eat crow if it turns out to be such a masterpiece like they're selling it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How many indications that is a masterpieces do you need?

Generally watching it yourself and making your own opinion on it? I'm amazed so many people in this thread calling it a masterpiece has already seen the movie.

It would be hilarious if this gets a Last Jedi style split between critics and audiences.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Generally watching it yourself and making your own opinion on it? I'm amazed so many people in this thread calling it a masterpiece has already seen the movie.

It would be hilarious if this gets a Last Jedi style split between critics and audiences.
you are saying this on a video game fourm of all places. Where the biggest thread here are reviews threads in no one has played the game.

Oct 27, 2017

By all accounts, Black Panther should have been considered a masterpiece with it's high metacritic/tomatometer/reviews/award nominations. But did most here think it was?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
yeah but the tone of this thead this is a total 180 from the reactions in the script leak topic

I think it could be argued that the worst aspect of the leak wasn't actually in the film. Outside of that I feel like the whole 'discussion' is focused on an extreme view that not many people hold in the idea that the movie's going to start mass shootings and I don't think anybody here's suggest it should be banned. By far the most upset individuals are coming off as those who oppose criticism of films based around the time of their release, e.g. someone might not enjoy the movie due to them seeing it as being sympathetic towards incels, which could be a fair criticism that others look over even if it's certainly not the mainstream one. It seems silly to shoot down any criticism before the film sees a wider release and that's what I read a lot of the Joker topics as mostly being.

As for the idea of incels adopting the character as some kind of icon; it's kind of an inevitability given comic book audience, subject matter, and the fact the alt-right will co-opt harmless unrelated shit like Pepe in this day and age. People should be able to discuss whether the film handles it's themes well or even responsibly without getting distracted by the meme bullshit.

I just feel like there's a better conversation to be had (though probably not until after release) and whilst both sides can potentially do things to distract from having it in good faith one sides clearly louder than the other right now and it's not the side the the supposed era hivemind's meant to be on.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, it just hit me Leto it the DMC2 of Jokers, he ruined the streak.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
User Banned (5 days): inflammatory thread derail
People are already putting together online harassment "gangs" inspired by the movie. #JokerGang is one on Twitter. Won't be long until they move it to real life and start beating up people while wearing clown masks.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Eh, still not sure about this movie, Venice isn't the biggest festival. Still waiting for some top critics on Rotten Tomato before I form an opinion.
Not saying that winning the big award at any festival (no matter how big) translates to anyone finding a specific film good (something that very well applies to "top critics on Rotten Tomatoes" consensus as well), but trying to downplay the status and importance of the Venice Film Festival is extremely silly.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People are already putting together online harassment "gangs" inspired by the movie. #JokerGang is one on Twitter. Won't be long until they move it to real life and start beating up people while wearing clown masks.
images

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
In other words the movie is already daMAGing American society. And it's not even out yet.

266121723697430528.png

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad that Joker is being so well received!

I'm still quite anxious about the movie, but seeing a DC movie do so critically well brings a tear to my eye ;;

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I hope this leads to big movies with a darker tone becoming a thing again. I like Comic book related stuff but generally dislike comic book movies becuase they're usually the opposite of the movies that I really like. But Joker looks like it could be really interesting

Deleted member 5260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why everyone is so mad about Joker doing well. DC returning to a state where they're outclassing other comic book movies does not mean we all have to stop enjoying our kiddie, dumb, turn-your-brain-off, assembly line Marvel movies. We can enjoy both.

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much. Everyone in that film can grow old knowing they had a part in a modern masterpiece and soon to be classic. Not much to worry about at that point in terms of legacy
BR2049 is one of my favorite movies of all time but Leto was the weakest link in the movie imo.