• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Respected by who? The man thought some Snyder fan put a hit on him 😂
giphy.gif

LOL. There is no way this is true lol

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just watched this recently (one of the only Scorsese films I hadn't seen) and my god, it's not even remotely funny. It's arguably as dark as Taxi Driver and shares similar themes and subtext.

Brilliant film but just brutally, unflinchingly disturbing.
Taxi Driver and King Of Comedy are huge influences on this film, not just aesthetically but themes and subject matter. DeNiro is a host of a popular show that Joker wants to be on, much like DeNiro wanted to be on Jerry Lewis' show in King Of Comedy.

Stop the metacommentary about other members.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Enough with the metacommentary about individual users and their bans/behavior. Let's get back on topic.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Real talk, I'm super excited to see this movie. I've long thought that Joaquin Phoenix is one of the best leading actors currently working and it sounds like this film is going to give him a chance to really show off his dramatic acting chops. I wouldn't say he's underrated (how underrated can an actor be with 3 oscar noms) but I feel like he's left out when people discuss fantastic actors.

I understand he's supported some...controversial organizations in the past, but hot damn can the man act.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
might wanna take your own advice before comin' in so hot next time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Buddhism
I don't understand this post.

A. My post was in jest.
B. Is it not also used in Hinduism?
C. Is Hinduism not older than Buddhism? In fact, Gautam Buddha is considered one of the avatar's of Vishnu in Hinduism.
D. My post was in jest.
E. If you want to be anal about it, Hinduism paragraph is longer than Buddhism paragraph in you link...
F. I should have also mentioned Jainism because why not?
G. I am slowly turning into joker, joker into turning slowly am I...
H. Actually, the symbol predates all of these religion, so...my conculsion is that society wins.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this post.

A. My post was in jest.
B. Is it not also used in Hinduism?
C. Is Hinduism not older than Buddhism? In fact, Gautam Buddha is considered one of the avatar's of Vishnu in Hinduism.
D. My post was in jest.
E. If you want to be anal about it, Hinduism paragraph is longer than Buddhism paragraph in you link...
F. I should have also mentioned Jainism because why not?
G. I am slowly turning into joker, joker into turning slowly am I...
H. Actually, the symbol predates all of these religion, so...my conculsion is that society wins.
ugh how did i not see that, i can't even tell what's real anymore lol. i guess what they say is true, stare into the clown long enough, and the clown stares back

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Venice film fest tends to pick some real stinkers as Golden Lion winners so I'm not sure if this makes me more or less optimistic about the movie.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This popped up on my YT recommends. I thought some might like to watch it before they go see a new interpretation of the Joker.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Venice film fest tends to pick some real stinkers as Golden Lion winners so I'm not sure if this makes me more or less optimistic about the movie.

lmao yeah Joker is in the hall of shame with legendary piece of shit Rashomon. The desperate spin around this movie is like nothing I've ever seen.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
lmao yeah Joker is in the hall of shame with legendary piece of shit Rashomon. The desperate spin around this movie is like nothing I've ever seen.
What are you talking about desperate spin? I'm just saying that, personally, a lot of the choices for Golden Lion have been pretty bad. Looking at the list quickly the only films I've really loved that have won it are Still Life, A City of Sadness, Vagabond and Vive L'Amour. Hana-bi, Rashoman and Three Colors: Blue also stand out as good but not ones I've really loved.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
What are you talking about desperate spin? I'm just saying that, personally, a lot of the choices for Golden Lion have been pretty bad. Looking at the list quickly the only films I've really loved that have won it are Still Life, A City of Sadness, Vagabond and Vive L'Amour. Hana-bi, Rashoman and Three Colors: Blue also stand out as good but not ones I've really loved.

They may just be "good" movies to you, but those ones you picked are loved by most critics.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
They may just be "good" movies to you, but those ones you picked are loved by most critics.
I mean those are the good ones in the list. There's a lot of real stinkers that won the Golden Lion too (Shape Of Water, The Story of Qiu Ju and Lust, Caution come to mind at first looking at the list). Obviously this is all subjective, but a festival that historically is more likely to not match with my tastes vs one that is adds to my skepticism. That's all

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Does it?

It is obviously open to interpretation but I think there's a good chance all of that was just his delusion, which is what most of this film is predicated on. I'm not entirely certain but that's how I was leaning at the end of the film.

This is in context to Taxi Driver, where the ending is often interpreted as a fantasy but which is both not well supported and weakens the satirical bite of the ending.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Okay. But i'm still waiting for the only review that truly matter, Kojima twitter.

i'm joking. Nice to know it got review well, can't wait to watch it

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the talks of the King of Comedy, for some reason i had this giant blindspot where i thought it was some comedy documentary for some reason. I knew Scorsese was involved but for the life of me its like one of the only movies of his i never saw. Just saw it and damn, what a bleak fucking movie. Like, Joker might legit be some wierd messed up remake of that. In fact, it seems DeNiro is in Joker.

The final scene of King
his standup bit, where he reveals how fucked up his life was and he was abused and beaten and how somehow the mom he has been screaming to in his basement has been dead for years, and the crowd is in hysterics at everything he says. Got goosebumps during that.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
You were probably confusing it with Kings of Comedy which is a popular comedy documentary

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
King of Comedy is that rare kind of movie that's far more relevant nowadays than it was at it's release 35 years ago, it almost feels prescient. It's absolutely brilliant and deserves the recognition it didn't get at release, at the very least Joker will make more people aware of it.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Originally I thought this film was a bad idea but I got on baord when I heard they cast Phoenix. He's a great actor and he usually picks good roles.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
King of Comedy is that rare kind of movie that's far more relevant nowadays than it was at it's release 35 years ago, it almost feels prescient. It's absolutely brilliant and deserves the recognition it didn't get at release, at the very least Joker will make more people aware of it.
Videodrome would be another one. Its themes about media consumption and radicalization are disturbingly relevant and scarily prescient in the age of social media, 8Chan, Youtube algorithms, etc