• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I would say at least once the show is over as some actually wait to watch until that point. Isn't that pretty fair? And I don't think it's too much to ask for people to take a couple seconds to think about it when making a title with something that would be a major spoiler back in the day, regardless of the time that has passed.

That's a pretty big ask, given that the show premiered over eight years ago. If you're not making a reasonable effort to keep up, the burden is on you to avoid spoilers.

As someone with kids, I wasn't able to see Endgame on opening weekend. I stayed off of most social media, but I was appreciative of the people who helped prevent spoilers from floating around. But since I was very interested in Endgame, I went to see it as soon as I could.

My rules of thumb:
1) If it's a TV show, spoilers are fair game once the next episode has aired.
2) If it's a movie, people get two weekends to see it before spoilers are allowed.

Even the folks behind Endgame lifted their spoiler ban after two weekends, I think it's a reasonable amount of time - if you're interested, that should be enough time to see it. If you're not interested, why does it matter? And if you're interested but don't see it... well, now it's your job to avoid spoilers.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus holy fucking god damn dude!? I've only seen the first season, and haven't been able to watch the rest yet. But thanks.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you all feel better, my grandma spoiled the Mountain vs Viper fight for me.

She's such a shithead I'll never forgive her.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be LSH who resurrects him. Jon's story arc has been the one i am most interested in to see continue in Winds of Winter. The narrative potential is huge. Which is what really bums me out about how the show handled this. The missed potential.

I suppose could be lsh but priestess is still the most likely

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe that priest just up and spoiled Judas backstabbing Jesus on Sunday morning like it was nothing.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its not even that much of a spoiler, it's just something that happens in the middle of a huge series. If you're watching the show late the whole thing from death to resurrection is resolved in about 2 hours of an 80 hour show.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can almost smell the lack of basic empathy in this thread.

Oh, I have empathy for them if they get spoiled, kinda sucks I guess. However, the title was about something that happened 3 years ago, and has been a hot topic of discussion for just as long, has had parody videos made, has had meme's made...for years. You really expect people to be vague about something that happened years ago on a tv show, because some people haven't watched it yet, despite it being extremely well known? Like, sorry but no.

Jan 31, 2018
It's kind of weird how there's a different standard for spoiling TV shows versus movies. Mass consensus to not spoil Endgame for anyone for example and it's worked for me thus far at least. On the other hand, can't go anywhere on the internet without getting bombarded with GoT stories; 'Guess who died in last night's shocker' with a picture of the character who died. 'The romance is dead in GoT' with pictures of the all characters who've been in relationships. Sad Ghost pictures with the title 'How could do Jon to that?' And so on and so forth.

And this has been going on for years. I wanted to avoid watching the show until it was near it's end so I only started watching recently. And yet, everything that's happened after book five was spoiled for me even though I made an active effort to avoid GoT related stories. I got fully caught up yesterday but then, everything about season 8 was already old news. It's a shame really.

Anyway, yeah the show butchered a lot as it went in. As pretty much everyone realizes now, the quality took a dive once the source material ran out. And while they're still hitting the major plot points as given to them by GRRM, the inconsistencies and shortcuts they took earlier on are now blindingly obvious. But Jon's arc was a lot better relatively speaking than most of the others, especially in this last season.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Agree 100% OP, hated his arc since he died and wish they left him dead this point.

And as far as the spoiler complaints this aired 4 years ago. What the heck did you expect when you clicked the thread? It's about disliking a characters arc so why would you not think it would contain spoilers about what happened to them during show...

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the thread? Not the ones where people defend police brutality, or sexist behavior, or alt-right trash, or pedophilia, or transphobia, or homophobia, or anything else that normal people consider when talking about people lacking empathy and respect for others?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And as far as the spoiler complaints this aired 4 years ago. What the heck did you expect when you clicked the thread? It's about disliking a characters arc so why would you not think it would contain spoilers about what happened to them during show...

The title was changed actually.

It's kind of weird how there's a different standard for spoiling TV shows versus movies

I don't think it's that weird. Movies you gotta go out of your way to go and see what all the fuss is about. Much easier to tune into a TV show in comparison. With a huge pop culture like GoT, people give even less fucks, especially the media that reports on the episodes, does reviews, etc.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I watched sopranos years after it ended. I knew how it ended. I watched the wire years after it ended. I knew important plot details. None of it was ruined by knowing these things. A quality story is a quality story.

Jon dying is a shitty season finale, no one really believed he was dead for sure and many people were "spoiled" by book readers telling them he would be resurrected. The episode is years old.

I can't wait for people to "spoil" Endgame in four years for people who were so busy they hadn't found time in the past 1500 days to watch it.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jon's
resurrection
isn't what bothers me, its that ultimately, there seems to be no purpose or pay off to it.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Empathy does not mean we have to cater to people with hilarious beliefs.
Says the person who came into this thread clueless on what it was about and just wanted to dismiss those who had a pretty legitimate issue.

But it's pretty clear from the responses so far that many share your belief on the subject so I guess that's just how people choose to be.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
It's kind of weird how there's a different standard for spoiling TV shows versus movies. Mass consensus to not spoil Endgame for anyone for example and it's worked for me thus far at least. On the other hand, can't go anywhere on the internet without getting bombarded with GoT stories; 'Guess who died in last night's shocker' with a picture of the character who died. 'The romance is dead in GoT' with pictures of the all characters who've been in relationships. Sad Ghost pictures with the title 'How could do Jon to that?' And so on and so forth.

And this has been going on for years. I wanted to avoid watching the show until it was near it's end so I only started watching recently. And yet, everything that's happened after book five was spoiled for me even though I made an active effort to avoid GoT related stories. I got fully caught up yesterday but then, everything about season 8 was already old news. It's a shame really.

Anyway, yeah the show butchered a lot as it went in. As pretty much everyone realizes now, the quality took a dive once the source material ran out. And while they're still hitting the major plot points as given to them by GRRM, the inconsistencies and shortcuts they took earlier on are now blindingly obvious. But Jon's arc was a lot better relatively speaking than most of the others, especially in this last season.

Idk I think it's just GoT.

I recently watched Seasons 1 and 2 of Twin Peaks and had no idea what that was about, and that show came out like 30 years ago.

I'm also thinking about watching Breaking Bad, and all I know about that show is a HS teacher decides to sell meth.

With GoT I feel like I know all the major plot points so far and I've never seen a full episode lol.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Says the person who came into this thread clueless on what it was about and just wanted to dismiss those who had a pretty legitimate issue.

But it's pretty clear from the responses so far that many share your belief on the subject so I guess that's just how people choose to be.

I don't like your lack of empathy for people who did not have the privilege of reading the old thread title. Spoilers for old things is dumb and trying to argue that it is related to empathy cheapens the word.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Spoiler culture is fucking nuts.

Shit happened 4 years ago. You don't give a shit. You literally can't give enough of a shit to watch something that's been around for over 1000 days.

Show spoilers are not book spoilers, they've made it clear the show diverges. And not just because the show's writers are the worst and pick their plot lines from fan fiction. Anyone seeing show spoilers and treating them like book spoilers are being ridiculous.

The sled is named Rosebud. To serve man is a cook book. Soylent green is people.

Sorry I'm such a monster.

Jan 31, 2018
Idk I think it's just GoT.

I recently watched Seasons 1 and 2 of Twin Peaks and had no idea what that was about, and that show came out like 30 years ago.

I'm also thinking about watching Breaking Bad, and all I know about that show is a HS teacher decides to sell meth.

With GoT I feel like I know all the major plot points so far and I've never seen a full episode lol.

It's pretty much every major/widely watched show. I know how both the Sopranos and Breaking Bad end even though I have no interest in either series. Huge chunks of Lost were spoiled for me but since I don't care for either, I've forgotten it all. Same for the Walking Dead although it's not as popular as it used be so one doesn't hear much about it anymore.

Whatever the next big thing is after GoT will get the same treatment. And with how the internet works, you can't avoid spoilers that easily anymore.

Show spoilers are not book spoilers, they've made it clear the show diverges. And not just because the show's writers are the worst and pick their plot lines from fan fiction. Anyone seeing show spoilers and treating them like book spoilers are being ridiculous..

Well that's just not true. Several key plot points in the latter seasons of the show are straight from GRRM. Those things will happen in the books too; it's the minor characters and secondary stories and all that that will be different.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
It's pretty much every major/widely watched show. I know how both the Sopranos and Breaking Bad end even though I have no interest in either series. Huge chunks of Lost were spoiled for me but since I don't care for either, I've forgotten it all. Same for the Walking Dead although it's not as popular as it used be so one doesn't hear much about it anymore.

Whatever the next big thing is after GoT will get the same treatment. And with how the internet works, you can't avoid spoilers that easily anymore.

Yeah I guess I'm lucky or some shit because it's basically only happened to me with GoT, and it always happens randomly in a conversations and shit. I guess that show's so big everyone just assumes you watch it.

The thing is everyone from my dad to the lady at the gas station keep harping on me to watch the show, despite me explaining to them that that ship has sailed a long time ago lol. It's honestly way more annoying than spoilers.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree that Jon was unaffected. His brains would have to be split pea soup to think "let's go kidnap a zombie to show Cersei" is a good idea.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the dude came back from the dead, they should be worshipping that son of a bitch.

And screw D&D for the fanfiction hacks that they are.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
On topic, I don't think Jon being resurrected is a big deal breaker for me because it already happens in universe with Beric being reincarnated over and over.

Off topic, Are the trailers and promotional materials showing Jon alive also spoilers, what's fair game here?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The thread is just more proof to me of spoiler-phobic people kinda being a joke.

Took the changing of a few words to make it not spoilery in the title. Wow, what a herculean ask of thread creators.

S8 has thrown all the lore out the window and we're just cruising down spectacle street at this point. It has been amusing to watch so many theories built around the relative consistency of the early seasons shatter into nothingness.

Off topic, Are the trailers and promotional materials showing Jon alive also spoilers, what's fair game here?

If you watch a S8 trailer for something you're on S4 of, you give up claim to being spoiled.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Either Jon is supposed to return as dude that basically walks around like he hates life, or Kit's brooding act is something from D&D lol
Jon looks like he's just done with everyone's shit and wants to fuck off somewhere warm (or cold I guess)

Off Topic: Spoiler culture is weird and part of me thinks half of it has to be parody at this point. I mean, people can't be that salty about shit from 2016 lol. Idk how something like the events Red Wedding isn't common information at this point

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
While the spoiler happened years ago, it is not hard to rephrase the tile or just be you know... considerate, it is not hard to be an ass.

It is the same type of discussion to have with older/conservatives that don't understand that <insert word> that was used one time is not OK anymore, just be considerate.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the dude came back from the dead, they should be worshipping that son of a bitch.

And screw D&D for the fanfiction hacks that they are.
Yeah, it's like nobody even thinks its a big deal anymore. They could have just NOT killed him in the first place and nothing would have been different in the show. If anything it would have made that dreadful season at least end on a SLIGHTLY less depressing note.

Like with Beric (I think that's him?) at least it was a new thing to have a character ressurect so it had some shock value (oh shit, the hound nearly chopped that guy in half but he's OK?!), and his deaths did take a tole on him over time. But when it happened with Jon it was just, "oh cool, I was hoping he wasn't actually going to be dead, whelp back to what he was doing!".

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that you have to actively keep up with a show is ludicrous and elitist "true fan" garbage, there's always going to be shows/media that you're not watching week to week as it airs.

Spoiling things in titles, not just discussing it, is poor form.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
why are the show runners trying to spoil George R.R Martin's books?

they broadcast the spoilers to millions of people on a weekly basis

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So much shit and so many perplexingly poor story decisions have been made with this show since Jon's death that I'd all but forgotten about that absolute blunder.

I've said this a few times in recent weeks but it once again calls to mind the difficulty in criticising a show that has no closure or payoff to speak of. It's a constant game of "Stop hating. Just wait and see what happens and you'll understand" until now where I've completely forgotten about how ridiculous Jon's death was.

I remember at the end of S5 I said "this is awful. If they do bring him back at the start of S6 it completely undermines one of the crucial tenants of this story and what made it stand out in the first place: the world is a harsh place, and mistakes are met with a grisly and permanent end regardless of your character status in the story." And the response was "wait and see." And then he came back and the response was "No but he might be permanently changed in some way. Like he's lost his humanity. Just wait and see." And for a little while it kind of seemed like that's what they were hinting at, so I went along with it for a while until I all but forgot about this charade of a subplot as the show did too.

At the end of every season of television, we should not be receiving cliffhangers. Cliffhangers are insulting commercials for next year. We need honest closure and character resolution to this season so that I can actually come to some kind of conclusive criticism and glean some actual meaning from the show up until this point. By all means open it back up and build on what came before in the following season, but don't just leave threads to dangle loosely around. Not only is it painfully unsatisfying and frustrating as a viewer, but it also puts more and more weight on the final series ending, tasked with wrapping up an entire 8 season show that didn't bother to give us closure to anything along the way. And lord knows S8 won't be delivering on that lofty demand.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The idea that you have to actively keep up with a show is ludicrous and elitist "true fan" garbage, there's always going to be shows/media that you're not watching week to week as it airs.

Spoiling things in titles, not just discussing it, is poor form.
There's quite a difference between spoiling last week's episode and discussing something from 4 years ago.

Sometimes people can't catch up on a show for a few weeks, that's normal. As we saw recently, the majority of people made a good effort not to spoil Endgame on the internet at large. I didn't see any spoilers I didn't intentionally click.

If someone can't catch up on a show for 4 years they don't really care, and they certainly don't care enough for it to become anyone else's duty to keep discussion of such an old event obscured. If they literally couldn't be arsed to watch it in that time frame, I don't believe they really care about the show that's being "spoiled". It's classic FOMO.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that all of you are bickering about when to spoil something is a side conversation. Posting a spoiler in the thread title is a dick move. You can have a post full of spoilers and if you just put something like "open spoilers" in the thread title without actually LISTING the spoiler in the title it should be fine. It's not hard to take five seconds and be considerate.

Nov 9, 2017
The fact that all of you are bickering about when to spoil something is a side conversation. Posting a spoiler in the thread title is a dick move. You can have a post full of spoilers and if you just put something like "open spoilers" in the thread title without actually LISTING the spoiler in the title it should be fine. It's not hard to take five seconds and be considerate.

Nah, It would be easier just to use the spoiler in the title and deem anyone who complains as a part of "spoiler outrage culture" or something