• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...-out-mia-lawmakers-9-11-victims-fund-n1016356
WASHINGTON — Comedian Jon Stewart is scolding Congress for failing to ensure that a victims' compensation fund set up after the 9/11 attacks never runs out of money.

Stewart, a longtime advocate for 9/11 responders, angrily called out lawmakers for failing to attend Tuesday's hearing on a bill that would ensure the fund can pay benefits for the next 70 years.

Pointing to rows of empty seats at a House Judiciary Committee hearing room, Stewart said "sick and dying" first responders and their families came to Washington for the hearing, only to face a nearly deserted dais.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
what does it say about our country that the biggest and well known advocate for 9/11 victims is a comedian?

but "support our troops" and "support our police" and "support our first responders" and oh yea "never forget" all lip service.

anyone got a list of who showed up and who didnt?

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe he has to do this every year or so. Just fund the damn thing. They didn't have trouble going on and on about the PD and FD after the attacks.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these the same people missing yesterday's hearing with John Dean as well? IIRC almost all or all the GOP members actually showed up yesterday.

Oct 26, 2017
Literally every year he has to remind people about the shit first responders have to deal with.

Fucking disgraceful.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
an empty chamber reminds me of when vietnam vets marched on the capitol to voice their concerns and they were met with a wall that was put up to prevent them from getting in, so they threw their military medals over the wall

Kerry-MedalsOverFence,jpg.jpg

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I've always been a big fan of Jon Stewart over the years and I've always been struck by his precise way with words when it comes to defending the men and women who were serving at ground zero. I'm glad Jon has fought, and continues to fight, for this, it's too bad he's had to for so many years. Here's to hoping congress does something and more importantly amend the bill so that Jon and crew never have to make this speech again.

CSPAN has the full 9-minute video.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll never stop being infuriating that the Congresspeople just don't bother to show up or read bills or do their jobs at all ever. The House and Senate are like 90% human waste at this point.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Powerful. Jon has been fighting this fight for many years. I wonder if anything will happen this time? I'm guessing not. They could find over a trillion to give to corporations and Trump's pocket, and to over-fund the military so much that they can divert funds to a wall with no outrage, but all they can do for these people is tweet about never forgetting them.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
The article says that the hearing was just for the subcommittee of 14, not the full committee of 41, so it looks like Stewart was incorrect on this one?

Still, his point stands that this shouldn't be so hard.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uhhh, reading up on this I think Jon may have been angry based on a lack of information.

The hearing, however, had not been slated to take place before the whole Judiciary Committee — it was being held before the subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. The subcommittee has 14 members, compared with the full committee, which has 41 members.

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., appeared to respond to Stewart's remarks later in the hearing, according to the Hill.

"My subcommittee, every single member on my side, which is eight of us, have been here today," Cohen said. "All these empty chairs that's because it's for the full committee, not because it's disrespect or lack of attention to you."

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
What a disgrace. No excuse. 16 billion pulled out of thin air for Trump's fuck ups. Military spending gets an additional 80+ billion with no debate. Yet we leave people like this to die slow painful deaths. Fuck this country. God I miss how cutting and powerful Jon Stewart is when he is passionate about the subject matter.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh, reading up on this I think Jon may have been angry based on a lack of information.

The hearing, however, had not been slated to take place before the whole Judiciary Committee — it was being held before the subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. The subcommittee has 14 members, compared with the full committee, which has 41 members.

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., appeared to respond to Stewart's remarks later in the hearing, according to the Hill.

"My subcommittee, every single member on my side, which is eight of us, have been here today," Cohen said. "All these empty chairs that's because it's for the full committee, not because it's disrespect or lack of attention to you."

Ok so what about all the parts where he mentions how they keep making them come because they keep taking things away from them, or keep sending the funding bill to the senate where Republican fuckery messes things up?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok so what about all the parts where he mentions how they keep making them come because they keep taking things away from them, or keep sending the funding bill to the senate where Republican fuckery messes things up?

That's... not what the thread or the article is even about. OP made a post about how he's mad there are empty chairs and the explanation is the chamber has seats for the full committee and this was with a sub-committee.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eh, after 18 years people with health issues shouldn't be forced to come in there and grovel at all. This should have been solved. Congress deserves every ounce of that shaming and I hope it goes viral.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
That's... not what the thread or the article is even about. OP made a post about how he's mad there are empty chairs and the explanation is the chamber has seats for the full committee and this was with a sub-committee.

But that's what the full video is about. He's not just angry about the lack of Congressional representatives in that meeting, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Saying Jon might be angry because of misunderstanding, but the full video is about much more than that is odd and incorrect.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But that's what the full video is about. He's not just angry about the lack of Congressional representatives in that meeting, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Saying Jon might be angry because of misunderstanding, but the full video is about much more than that is odd and incorrect.

The thread and article is literally about how he is "taking aim at MIA" lawmakers, who in the actual context aren't MIA.

He has every right to be pissed about the embarrassing way we treat and support first responders on 9/11, but I'm literally responding to the OP and the article that was linked.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's impossible to overstate how much the members of the House and Senate exploited 9/11 first responders for their own political gain. There was a solid 5 years where 9/11 was all those assholes would talk about. They used it as cover to kill people in the middle east, spy on americans, give themselves tax breaks, and every other goddamn thing.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread and article is literally about how he is "taking aim at MIA" lawmakers, who in the actual context aren't MIA.

He has every right to be pissed about the embarrassing way we treat and support first responders on 9/11, but I'm literally responding to the OP and the article that was linked.

The lawmakers have been missing in action for 18 years.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I'm pretty sure Trump would have lost if Stewart was still on the Daily Show, but that's just my far out theory.

I've been saying that since 2015, we were sorely missing Stewart. In his final days at the Daily Show he treated Trump like a joke and not a threat. I remember him joking about how Trump was like his gift in hospice, a way to go out easily. Even that early I felt that Trump was a threat and needed to be taken more seriously, if for no other reason than what he represented within the Party itself. Stewart leaving the Daily Show will go down as one of those forgotten details that gets rediscovered when the histories of this era are written. Our institutions, including our political satire, were all weak at exactly the right time to allow a Trump victory.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Stewart for anything, just highlighting that I think his absence played an important role.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Trump would have lost if Stewart was still on the Daily Show, but that's just my far out theory.

CVvUp7mWEAAs9nA.jpg

Not far out to me. I've often said the same thing over the last couple of years. JS is a master at exposing bullshit. I think he would have been a thorn in trump's side and the media that basically gave trump free pr 24/7 during the primaries. I honestly don't think trump's campaign gets off the ground if The Daily Show was there to burst bubbles every night. jmo

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
God damn, that was emotional as hell to watch and I'm not even American.

They can't take care of the people who helped save countless lives(my uncle was one) on 9/11 after using the attack and the heroes to get elected and use it to preach about patriotism etc. Shameful. Utterly shameful.

This even surprises me, and I'm cynical as hell about American politics.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Not far out to me. I've often said the same thing over the last couple of years. JS is a master at exposing bullshit. I think he would have been a thorn in trump's side and the media that basically gave trump free pr 24/7 during the primaries. I honestly don't think trump's campaign gets off the ground if The Daily Show was there to burst bubbles every night. jmo

Outcome would have been the same. The people who vote for Trump are are the kind who're unaffected by anything Jon Stewart has to say. Their devotion to Trump is impenetrable to reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
WE LOVE OUR FIRST RESPONDERS.

until we don't.

first responders, vets, fetuses, they only matter to Republicans because it makes them look good to talk about them. it's just lip service. they don't actually care.

republicans would sacrifice every vulnerable American out there to achieve their goal of MAGA - a country ruled by white men. doesn't matter if they're 9/11 first responders or not.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The look on Jons face when listening to them explaining why there's so few people there.

76lVCEj.png

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Outcome would have been the same. The people who vote for Trump are are the kind who're unaffected by anything Jon Stewart has to say. Their devotion to Trump is impenetrable to reason.

I don't disagree with that point. I just wonder how much of an impact not having a voice of reason saying this shit is bonkers every night during the early days was.

That last sentence was a mouthful, sorry.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
These people saved lives, pulled people, pulled bodies from the rubble in the wake of destruction. To some, they brought families back together when they thought their world had crumbled to the ground. Others, they gave those families something to say goodbye to before the dead had to be buried again.

And the US government can't do the base level of decency to do right by these people. Fucking vile. To call them worthless is to imply a level of broken ineffectual quality. That's not what this is. This is evil, this is apathy, this is cruelty.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Truly truly sad that this is needed specially for the first responders.
This should not have been an issue in the first place but here we are.

Just fucking fund the them thing with 0 strings attached, you already killed these people by dragging you feet for 18 years.
Talking about we don't know how long we can fund this.

Fuck you next time you respond to a disaster and do the work yourself.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
It bothers me greatly everyday how we treat First Responders and veterans. This is one of the many reasons why we need to expand our health care system.