• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
5 years

CVvUp7mWEAAs9nA.jpg
This picture is extremely powerful. Holy shit.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh, reading up on this I think Jon may have been angry based on a lack of information.

The hearing, however, had not been slated to take place before the whole Judiciary Committee — it was being held before the subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. The subcommittee has 14 members, compared with the full committee, which has 41 members.

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., appeared to respond to Stewart's remarks later in the hearing, according to the Hill.

"My subcommittee, every single member on my side, which is eight of us, have been here today," Cohen said. "All these empty chairs that's because it's for the full committee, not because it's disrespect or lack of attention to you."
Considering it's been damn near two decades since 9/11 and he still has to come back and fight for Healthcare for first responders I'd say he has every right to be angry. We seem to always be able to easily find money to go kill people but apparently saving American lives isn't worth it.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. Now escalating to DEFCON 1.

Isn't this a bipartisan issue? Where is the breakdown? WTF?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think he and his show were very formative for a lot of my generation coming into political consciousness. Took no bullshit but I think at the end of the day there was an optimism that it was worth it to fight and call out bullshit because there was something worth fighting for at the end of the day.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some shitheel Republican from Oklahoma or Tennessee or Ohio doesn't give a shit about 9/11 first responders. They only care about 9/11 to the extent it gives the US a reason to kill Muslims.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
remember when republicans were pretending they cared about 9/11 a while ago to attack Ilhan Omar? good times.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Congress will continue to wait for all of them to die. Easiest way out.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I love his passion and the last 2-3 minutes of his speech nails exactly what happens to good ideas in Congress.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
The process has been stupidly slow and it's ridiculous. Imagine if they didn't have someone like Jon fighting their corner and getting the exposure they have?

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone watch Chernobyl, where the head miner asks if his men will be taken care of, and Scherbina responds with "I don't know"?

More honest than the platitudes of Congress right now

Oct 25, 2017
Jon Stewart is what a patriot actually looks like.

The dude is literally too good for America. Fuck I miss him, but he deserves his freedom. He's a goddamn hero (though he'd be the first to admit the real heroes were the people in the room with him).

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's been damn near two decades since 9/11 and he still has to come back and fight for Healthcare for first responders I'd say he has every right to be angry. We seem to always be able to easily find money to go kill people but apparently saving American lives isn't worth it.
This. It is much more than oh he had a line about how the seats were empty, it had much more to do with the fact that Congress as a whole are missing in action on taking care of these individuals.

From: https://www.renew911health.org/take-action/take-action-contact-your-members-of-congress/

Current Support in Congress for S. 546/H.R. 1327
Senate:
39/100 cosponsors
House:
305/435 cosponsors

Shock, not shock...take a guess of the 305 how many are Dem vs Rep...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Is there a list of those who didn't show up and their party affiliation?
Just eyeballing the list, in the House there's about 120 GOP against it (of 198 total) and 10 Dem against it. So that's about 60% of the GOP against it. Fucking hypocrites. Though as mentioned before, they can find money to bail out farmers from a trade war started by Trump, or to enrich corporations and Trump with tax cuts they didn't need, or to over-fund the military so much they can pull funds from it to build a wall with no outrage, but they can't look after the first responders.

P.S. Check the two blue buttons near the top right of the page saying House & Senate.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
For a country that really hammers in the shit about "Support our troops!", "Support our police!", "Support our firemen!", "Support the emergency responders!", America really just doesn't give a shit to take care of any of those people once they are done with their service. Then it's just to the garbage bin with those people and pick up a new batch of young, teary eyed, patriotic fools to ruin.

The only thing that probably bothers republicans is that those former servicemen don't die/commit suicide fast enough, so they gotta pretend to care.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Just eyeballing the list, in the House there's about 120 GOP against it (of 198 total) and 10 Dem against it. So that's about 60% of the GOP against it. Fucking hypocrites. Though as mentioned before, they can find money to bail out farmers from a trade war started by Trump, or to enrich corporations and Trump with tax cuts they didn't need, or to over-fund the military so much they can pull funds from it to build a wall with no outrage, but they can't look after the first responders.

P.S. Check the two blue buttons near the top right of the page saying House & Senate.

Thank you.

"Pro life" party my ass.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Powerful. It's crazy that a satirist needs to be the one to stand up for first responders

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild. Government and especially Congress will evoke 9/11 at every opportunity; on the muslim ban, TSA, DoD spending, attacking islamic religion, etc.

As soon as comes to the people there and taking care of them, silence. They're not even there.

Fuck them all.