• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Jonathan Blow is a brilliant game designer and developer who knows what he's talking about. I find no issue in what he said and it seems like the extremist PC proponents are overreacting.

Would it be offensive to say that women aren't as interested in an engineering major compared to men? Look at the statistics.
BIOLOGICALLY.

AKA an appeal to authority in the form of Pop science

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Jonathan Blow is a brilliant game designer and developer who knows what he's talking about. I find no issue in what he said and it seems like the extremist PC proponents are overreacting.

Would it be offensive to say that women aren't as interested in an engineering major compared to men? Look at the statistics.

Is an extremist PC proponent like the guys on the PCMasterrace subreddit?

Do they propose a final solution to the console problem?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
What an asshole, I have a female friend who have really great coding chops occasionally breaking down in tears due to the way her colleagues treat her being the only female on the team. Tech guys can be so fucking immature sometimes.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
He's probably not wrong on the raw statistics, but to chalk it up to biology and not a multitude of societal reasons that caused those statistics is where the argument falls flat.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
"Biologically less interested" LOL!

That's one of the worst takes I've ever seen.

Ada Lovelace's translations and notes are extremely important to the history of computing and programming and she completed that work in the 1840s.

His opinion is immediately invalidated.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ben Carson is apparently a brilliant neurosurgeon. He's also a fucking idiot regarding anything else. Blow is out of his depth. And so are you.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You find no issue in someone claiming without proof that women don't like tech because they are biologically programmed to like knitting or other girly stuff?

Don't you think that the fact girls don't like tech is because of social and cultural reasons?

Oct 27, 2017

It wouldn't be offensive if the reasoning was societal, or cultural, because we have studies showing women are less inclined to pursue those fields because of sexism and other negative experiences, but implying it's biological as if women are inherently uninterested is absurd

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, he talks like some sort of robot that came right out of the 50s.

Blow, you clearly need to get out more and meet more people.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blow also said we should defeat nazis by engaging them in debate, because obviously sound arguments work against fascists. That was dumber than this, and this is dumb as shit. Blow is an ass.

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
You think anyone with a little bit of intelligence would not think these things much less think it is a good idea to say these things in 2017.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You find no issue in someone claiming without proof that women don't like tech because they are biologically programmed to like knitting or other girly stuff?

Don't you think that the fact girls don't like tech is because of social and cultural reasons?
Or that women do like tech but every time they try to get into it some fuckin weirdo writes a manifesto about how they're not actually interested in it.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well if that's what he's saying then he's still way off. Gender roles and personal interests aren't biological.
Pretty much. Biology is so simple but still so complex for some people.

If he said "statistically" he could probably (?) he right if the numbers supported him. But "biologically"? Hahah.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because women dominated in computer programming before men viewed it as an important field and took to it en mass while making it a 'boys thing'.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you know what is ridiculous? statments like yours..where he is saying "women belong in the kitchen"? he can be wrong of course but post like yours dosnt help at all

No, but he came out and said that women dont go into tech for biological issues in his initial post. He tried to back track abit by saying was statistical, but that inital claim is still HYPER sexist by implying women werent born to do tech work.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Is this essentially the 2017 way of saying "women belong in the kitchen?"

Ridiculous.
No no no, of course not. No one is that much of an asshole to suggest that women are only good enough for cooking food!

It's just that since they're not good enough to do anything else because their genetics say so for some random ass reason, then of course they're going to settle on less complicated things. You know, like not associating with assholes who think that women can't do something just cuz.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
"Biologically less interested" LOL!

That's one of the worst takes I've ever seen.

Ada Lovelace's translations and notes are extremely important to the history of computing and programming and she completed that work in the 1840s.

His opinion is immediately invalidated.

That doesn't actually invalidate his claim.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
If anyone has heard this guy speak, it only makes sense that he has this point of view. I couldn't give him money for Witness because of his views, and his holier than thou attitude.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's never not going to be controversial, and the fact that social/cultural/biological motivations are nigh impossible to tease out.

But I have no idea why people are so aghast at the idea of that A) men and women are biologically different and B) these biological differences likely lead to an increased or decreased likelihood of interest in certain fields or topics.

Stripped of social conditioning do we really think men and women are identical?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when he did a stream of BotW where you could tell he pretty much wanted to hate the game and just kept whining.

Soured my opinion on him ever since and came off as very immature. Good to see that's still justified.

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Women and men are differents in some aspects, nothing new.

However, Twitter law is going to bite him.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure rhetoric like this being so prevalent in tech has no influence at all for women considering said industry. None whatsoever.

He seriously blows

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Homeboy needs to do a Braid rewind on these tweets. Fuck was he thinking? Nobody wants to hear your opinions on biology. If your controversial statement begins with an "I believe it is likely" hypothesis and no empirical evidence to back it up, spare yourself the persecution and shut the fuck up.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What does interest in "tech" mean?

DRT4vNEUIAEJgP3.jpg

What was he talking about before this re: having an interest in? I don't even know what a general "tech" interest would be.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
What an asshole, I have a female friend who have really great coding chops occasionally breaking down in tears due to the way her colleagues treat her being the only female on the team. Tech guys can be so fucking immature sometimes.

It's baffling to me how people like Blow seem to entirely lack that kind of perspective or empathy. Like, isn't he aware of how shitty women in tech have it?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Homeboy needs to do a Braid rewind on these tweets. Fuck was he thinking? Nobody wants to hear your opinions on biology. If your controversial statement begins with an "I believe it is likely" hypothesis and no empirical evidence to back it up, spare yourself the persecution and shut the fuck up.

Don't worry, I'm sure /pol/ will be there to support him against the evil SJWs soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.