• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan Blow is a brilliant game designer and developer who knows what he's talking about. I find no issue in what he said and it seems like the extremist PC proponents are overreacting.

Would it be offensive to say that women aren't as interested in an engineering major compared to men? Look at the statistics.

No, it wouldn't be.

It would be offensive to suggest biological rather than sociological reasons, though.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's never not going to be controversial, and the fact that social/cultural/biological motivations are nigh impossible to tease out.

But I have no idea why people are so aghast at the idea of that A) men and women are biologically different and B) these biological differences likely lead to an increased or decreased likelihood of interest in certain fields or topics.

Stripped of social conditioning do we really think men and women are identical?
Have you looked at like any historical graphs or stats? Women were forced OUT of tech.

Ulairi

Oct 30, 2017
As a computer class teacher in a high school whose best coders and engineers are almost all girls, lol.

Doesn't disprove what he is saying.

I think saying men and women on average have different interests isn't controversial. It has nothing to do with aptitude or ability just the desire to do something. Traditionally, women have been interested in people and men with things. Or so the saying goes.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's never not going to be controversial, and the fact that social/cultural/biological motivations are nigh impossible to tease out.

But I have no idea why people are so aghast at the idea of that A) men and women are biologically different and B) these biological differences likely lead to an increased or decreased likelihood of interest in certain fields or topics.

i personally think men are predisposed to not like cooking, which is why i get pissed off at all these fake cooking guys that infest my screens. /s

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Jonathan Blow is a brilliant game designer and developer who knows what he's talking about. I find no issue in what he said and it seems like the extremist PC proponents are overreacting.

Would it be offensive to say that women aren't as interested in an engineering major compared to men? Look at the statistics.
As a women who recently completed a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, you have no idea why women are doing it less. Do you have any idea how disheartening it is when you say what you are studying and every single time, people look at you as if you are some oddity and the only thing they can think to say is "Not many girls study that!". And that's the tame reponses. Once, at a dedication to my dead grandfather, the minister came up to me and asked why I couldn't do a more "feminine" profession like teaching. I felt like shit that day, and that just made a hard day so much worse. And there's a number of other little instances that just add up to making you really really doubt yourself. So, at this point, I have zero tolerance for this bullshit.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Member was warned for branding a game developer a white supremacist
Wait so the guy that made those really overrated games I didn't like is also a Nazi MRA fuckhead.

Oh man, you don't say.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Blow always seemed like a pretentious dude, as pretentious as his games are actually.

Did not know he was such a stupid mysogynist though.

renzollama

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What an asshole, I have a female friend who have really great coding chops occasionally breaking down in tears due to the way her colleagues treat her being the only female on the team. Tech guys can be so fucking immature sometimes.

My previous development manager was a woman and so were two of my fellow software developers in the same office. They all did great work and were universally respected by the rest of the predominantly-male engineering teams. Plenty of adults in tech respect people for their contribution and intelligence and don't care the slightest bit about gender.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd go with nurture over nature, but look at the world around you. There must be a reason that most women you meet aren't into tech. Twitter (and forums) are probably a bad place to go into this though. Que a thousand irate nerds braying milkshake duck like it means something.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
20140221_043137_ssjm0223womenone90.jpg

That oestrogen kicked in hard in the mid 80s. I mean, that curve just screams biology and not sociology at me.

In this post-fact society, who needs data?

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Wait so the guy that made those really overrated games I didn't like is also a Nazi MRA fuckhead.

Oh man, you don't say.

Wait, he's a Nazi MRA fuckhead now lol? I thought this was about women biologically being less interested in tech?

Obviously, though, it's definitely our culture, and the fact is computer science is not really blowing people away men or women. I liked C++, but I certainly will not be getting a degree in it as a man because I'm not interested in that language, especially as an English grad LOL.

Call me feminine Blow! I am interested in the tech though!

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see an issue with his statement itself, but I'd like to see how he came to such a conclusion. You need real evidence to back up claims like this.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does he even knows social science? Culture studies? Man what an ignorant

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
We acknowledge the dumb opinion by calling it dumb.

We should acknowledge dumb opinions by explaining why and actually, y'know, debating them. If you can't have an honest conversation, how do you really know you're right.

And if someone says something dumb on Twitter in good faith*, the appropriate thing to do is to reply why you disagree not to screenshot it and spread it around social media alongside "hey look at this thing this guy said, isn't he stupid?"

*"in good faith" being the key, here. IE, a troll who harasses Anita because she's the devil is not making a comment in good faith.

Edit: In the past, I've tweeted some stupid opinions. In a couple of cases, strangers even responded and discussed them with me. I eventually realized that I was wrong.

If I saw a topic like this on resetera about one of my stupid tweets, I'd be pretty hurt. And I wouldn't consider it warranted.

Oct 31, 2017
What's the difference?
Plenty.
Regardless of how much you may think he's right or wrong, to suggest that there could differences between sexes in their natural inclination to like (or dislike) something is in absolutely NO WAY the equivalent of claiming that "women should stay in kitchen" or even just that "women don't belong there".

That's a very disingenuous way to try to paint him as the villain.

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Also, for fun.

I can't find the other tweet, but it basically went "the doomsday clock on Blow becomes another Notch just ticked up a minute".

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's probably because people with an understanding of how men and women are biologically different know that doesn't have anything to do with tech jobs.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with nurture over nature, but look at the world around you. There must be a reason that most women you meet aren't into tech. Twitter (and forums) are probably a bad place to go into this though. Que a thousand irate nerds braying milkshake duck like it means something.

The reasons why women are prominent in tech are not at all mysterious or hard to figure out.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Thats like saying that generally men are more interested in cars than women. I dont see a problem here.

It isn't. It's like saying "Men are biologically more interested in cars than women", which is a ridiculous thing to say without biological research. You can account for men being more interested in cars than women (in general) due to social factors (such as being the target of advertising, due to a history of being the household 'bread-winners' and being the sole working family member in many decades past, needing a vehicle to commute).

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, I'm entitled to my opinion that Jonathan Blow knows what he is saying because he's been in this industry for decades. If he thinks women are not interested in tech because of biological factors then I trust his stance on it.
Maybe Blow should speak to some actual women in tech and get their opinions on it

Just a thought

vereor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty.
Regardless of how much you may think he's right or wrong, to suggest that there could differences between sexes in their natural inclination to like (or dislike) something is in absolutely NO WAY the equivalent of claiming that "women should stay in kitchen" or even just that "women don't belong there".

That's a very disingenuous way to try to paint him as the villain.
I'm pretty sure he was implying that women don't belong to the tech world.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't disprove what he is saying.

I think saying men and women on average have different interests isn't controversial. It has nothing to do with aptitude or ability just the desire to do something. Traditionally, women have been interested in people and men with things. Or so the saying goes.

Or maybe those are the usual preconceptions a patriarchal society built from the start of civilizations.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
First of all, I'm entitled to my opinion that Jonathan Blow knows what he is saying because he's been in this industry for decades. If he thinks women are not interested in tech because of biological factors then I trust his stance on it.

Maybe women aren't interested in Tech because from the moment of birth they're all told that Tech is for boys only WHO KNOWS

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you looked at like any historical graphs or stats? Women were forced OUT of tech.

Yeah, and that's shitty. I totally get why people are sensitive about it in this particular context because of the rough history of women in the coding/engineering industry.

And Blow is a cunt about it either way, and a real absolutist, which isn't the sort of personality that should be having this conversation (nevermind on TWITTER, the worst format in the world for nuanced conversation).

But is the idea that social and cultural pressures are somehow informed by the biological differences between men and women really that horrible? The issue isn't that there's differences, it's that men exploit those differences in order to marginalize the viewpoints and opinions of women.

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is so maddening that people keep repeating this STUPID IGNORANT NONSNSE when studies have shown that the reason women seem less interested in engineering is because societal norms nudge them away from STEM majors.

Seriously STOP SAYING THIS SHIT. Jesus fucking christ read an article or two before spouting this garbage. Fuck

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Looks at OP*
Gee I wonder why?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard for people in positions of power to just not say anything? Just don't say anything. If you have to split hairs about what you mean to defend yourself from a position that in no way furthered any objective of yours, why say it at all? Just be quiet.

Damian Mahadevan

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Member was warned for disingenuous posting. Not telling the whole story about James Damore
It wouldn't be offensive if the reasoning was societal, or cultural, because we have studies showing women are less inclined to pursue those fields because of sexism and other negative experiences, but implying it's biological as if women are inherently uninterested is absurd

I am not sure if it is biological rather than the environment that coders work in. Coding currently is a solo job for the most part and as women are generally more social creatures, it doesnt appeal to them for that reason. That guy that got fired from google proposed to adopt a new method of coding that involves people cooperatively working together to do tasks and thinks that should make coding more attractive to women. It is a shame that only the right wing are willing to talk to him and the coding community has black listed him for his memo.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
He believes that biology determines our interests. My penis gives me more interest in tech.

I can't.

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I'd just like some evidence, but I'm not going to go full crazy person and say his games are totally bad. Definitely a wee bit boring at times though good games worth most of your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.