• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, I hope he accomplished whatever he aimed to do with those comments. I'm gonna resist the temptation to make "Blow" puns, but ugh come on it's 2017

DBLO7

Permanently banned for alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2017
no wonder i didn't find any enjoyment out of Braid and The Witness. Both had bored me to death

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
As a computer class teacher in a high school whose best coders and engineers are almost all girls, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Member was banned for 24H pending review for agreeing with unscientific sexist rhetoric. Aggressive behaviour towards other members.
Jonathan Blow is a brilliant game designer and developer who knows what he's talking about. I find no issue in what he said and it seems like the extremist PC proponents are overreacting.

Would it be offensive to say that women aren't as interested in an engineering major compared to men? Look at the statistics.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) what's the basis for making these claims
2) what's to be gained from making them

I don't get it

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude has always been a prick not surprised that he is a sexist prick at all.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Is this essentially the 2017 way of saying "women belong in the kitchen?"

Ridiculous.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Jonathan Blow is a brilliant game designer and developer who knows what he's talking about. I find no issue in what he said and it seems like the extremist PC proponents are overreacting.

Do you have a single fact to back up what Jon Blow is saying

What do you gain out of defending him?

What are you /learning/ by supporting such a broad stroke of a baseless opinion?

Do you think that, because any dumbass can make a video game they can say as much hokey shit as they want?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I love his games but some of his comments in the past, including this one, have been questionable.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
There seem to be enough social factors at play to negate any biological biases even if they were to exist.

So Blow's statement is a weird one to make.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

So women are somehow biologically less interested in tech than men? I'd love to hear about how this is just PC extremists being overreacting.

Nov 1, 2017
This guy always seemed like an arrogant prat who is only protected by his personal wealth so I'm not surprised by this at all.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
20140221_043137_ssjm0223womenone90.jpg

That oestrogen kicked in hard in the mid 80s. I mean, that curve just screams biology and not sociology at me.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Working on videogames by yourself must like destroy your brain or something. First Notch now this guy. I wonder if it's like a legit social disorder created from all those hours of solo work?

Although its been pointed out that his first game was about women running away from him.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a computer class teacher in a high school whose best coders and engineers are almost all girls, lol.
It's a weird thing for him to say, but for what it's worth he says he doesn't think females have less of a technological ability than males. He says statistically men find tech more interesting.

He probably shouldn't have said anything at all.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Im always be amazed to know that a duck could drink milkshakes

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I totally understand why most people might disagree with this statement but I don't know know how it would elicit anything but a shrug.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

Would it be offensive to say that women aren't as interested in an engineering major compared to men? Look at the statistics.
Just don't. There are many reasons that women are under-represented in STEM, but biology is not one of them.

Dec 9, 2017
Are there any studies that prove or disprove this? I can only speak anecdotally, but even though I am into tech (on somewhat more advanced level than browsing the internet and playing games) most of my friends are not.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck, I just've bought The Witness. I can't have business with this guy. Hope Sony refunds for less than 10 hours of gameplay...

Do you see many guys interested in being nurses and kindergarten teachers?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
What is it with indie devs having egos the size of the moon? First Phil Fish and now J-blow.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
People are allowed to have dumb opinions. If we can't acknowledge dumb opinions, how can we discuss them and determine that they're dumb?

In this case, there's a large body of evidence that gender is entirely socialized rather than biological, which makes assertions like "women are biologically less interested in XXX" impossible.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird thing for him to say, but for what it's worth he says he doesn't think females have less of a technological ability than males. He says statistically men find tech more interesting.

He probably shouldn't have said anything at all.

Well if that's what he's saying then he's still way off. Gender roles and personal interests aren't biological.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
People are allowed to have dumb opinions. If we can't acknowledge dumb opinions, how can we discuss them and determine that they're dumb?

In this case, there's a large body of evidence that gender is entirely socialized rather than biological, which makes a statement like "women are biologically less interested in XXX" impossible.

We acknowledge the dumb opinion by calling it dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.