• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah new mutants didn't land for me Xforce was awesome though. Yeah new mutants was the most disappointing one so far. It felt like bleh Maybe becuase the story is not fitting in with the other ones just very off.
Even weirder that Hickman wrote it, I usually love every book he writes.

The dialogue was so fucking weird too, like why would two characters tell each other whats happened previously, as if they didn't know?

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even weirder that Hickman wrote it, I usually love every book he writes.

The dialogue was so fucking weird too, like why would two characters tell each other whats happened previously, as if they didn't know?

Yeah I thought fallen angel was going to be the bad apple for me. But now I'm more excited for it instead of new mutants

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see the next Council meeting following the events of X-Force #1. I can already see Sinister making scathing jokes about Charles.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly felt like Hickman was having fun with New Mutants. The book was OK, nothing spectacular. I'm fine with Hickman indulging himself he is only writing it for 4 or 5 issues right? X-force was amazing though and I was really skeptical about it. Glad to be wrong.

Still, as much as I am excited about the X-men in general (my favorite comic book ever) it's amazing that Immortal Hulk continues to be the best comic in the business today. This weeks issue was amazing as always.

Too bad Joe Bennet is a piece of shit.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sadly I wasn't a big fan of either issue today. New Mutants looked good at least. I noticed that the artist drew Rahne to look like Maisie Williams.

All the characterization was weird and random in New Mutants.
"Hey let's all go to space."
"Let's all sneak off for some reason"

Gotta agree. If these books aren't heavily connected, only. Marauders and X-Men may make it out of Unlimited for me.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Is "Space Lawyer" the Daredevil analogue who appeared for a few gags in Al Ewing's Rocket Raccoon book a few years ago?
4jrsh3.jpg

images

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a character that suspected or knew Daredevil was Matt Murdock so to win a case they created a distraction so Matt would be busy as Daredevil

Fake edit: Right it was Superior Foes of Spiderman and it was female Beetle who was also a lawyer going against Matt

Oct 26, 2017
I caught up and I'm not a fan of any of the books outside of the main X-Men story (and X-Force). They feel like a significant step down and a pointless side story.

I also remain in opposition to this resurrection of mutants. Nothing seems to have any stakes anymore, and as a result I find myself routing more for standard humans

Last edited:

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
New Mutants are much more of a fam, came up together with all the xmen madness surrounding them, chomped at the bit to have adventures. I WANT to see them drink coffee and decide to go to space, and I think Hickman nailed the tone.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
New Mutants are much more of a fam, came up together with all the xmen madness surrounding them, chomped at the bit to have adventures. I WANT to see them drink coffee and decide to go to space, and I think Hickman nailed the tone.

Yeah, I am with you 100%. I love the characters and it was great to see them together warmly again.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
IMO the death/return cycle in the X-Books has been a joke for decades, but at least now there is a logical (comic book logic) system in place behind it...and there will still be trauma and other consequences.

As long as characters are commercially viable, they'll never stay truly dead anyway

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO the death/return cycle in the X-Books has been a joke for decades, but at least now there is a logical (comic book logic) system in place behind it...and there will still be trauma and other consequences.

As long as characters are commercially viable, they'll never stay truly dead anyway

That's what I like about Hickman books. Every other writer tries to use death to make their run spicier and impactful. But from what I've seen, Hickman uses death and resurrection as part of the story he's telling.

Oct 25, 2017
XMen 2 was good. Bit leery on where it was going but I'm liking how it closed up

Fallen Angels I'm indifferent on. On one hand I liked the different tone to it, but on the other I think there's a lot I'm just not getting given how little I know about Psylocke.

Oct 26, 2017
Kwannon becoming Psylocke is... probably not where I'd have gone with the character tbh.

EDIT: Finished reading it. Didn't like it at all.

Last edited:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Fallen Angels is GARBAGE

Kwannon wants to be happy! She is willing to forgive Elizabeth! For fucks sake why introduce this dark shit

Oct 26, 2017
can you fill me in a bit on all this? The issue felt really confusing given the nods to Kwannon and Braddock

Can't make the issue less confusing but re: not having Kwannon become Psylocke - it just feels like retreading old ground and a waste of an opportunity to do something new with the character. Feels like Kwannon giving up her name to take the name of the person who body-jacked her is... troubling too.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
X-men #2 was awesome. The family banter worked for me, I like seeing the Summers clan together. I'm surprised Xavier's death and the New Mutants taking off with the starjammers was mentioned. Good to know the titles will still reference the events in other books.

I wonder what Apocalypse has up his sleeve

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it and I wonder if whatever this is with Apoc will tie into what's going on in Excalibur? Seems like it will. I liked Fallen Angels and it makes sense why Laura would join her but I'm iffy on cable tagging along.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Add me to the list of people that enjoyed the family banter. Young Cable is a little grating though. He's like 92% Cable and 8% Jar Jar Binks.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I seem to be in the minority again. I found X-Men 2 to be boring and except for some good lines a real drag to read.

I thought Fallen Angels to be interesting and while I agree her going by Psylocke now is a bit off, I'm interested to see where Kwannon's additional backstory is going and what this Apoth thing is.

More X-23 is just a plus.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Can't make the issue less confusing but re: not having Kwannon become Psylocke - it just feels like retreading old ground and a waste of an opportunity to do something new with the character. Feels like Kwannon giving up her name to take the name of the person who body-jacked her is... troubling too.

Kwannon isn't her real name either, as the story makes clear so...

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Then they should have given her a new one.

They did give her a new one. That new code name is Psylocke.

If you go allllllllllll the way back to the Psylocke/Revanche storyline, both the bodies and minds of both were fused together. Neither one is the original and neither "body jacked" the other. This is why Kwannon still has Betsy Braddock's telepathy and dark purple hair.

Kwannon deciding to ditch the "Kwannon" name and just go by Psylocke makes more sense than anything else.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I think I actually liked Fallen Angels the most so far, I love the atmosphere of the book and I'm a sucker for these seedy crime mysteries.

Oct 29, 2017
Man I feel sorry for all the people who aren't reading at least issue 1 of each comic, to jump into Xavier being dead must be a weird moment.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I spent parts of the HOX run thinking the cast were mind controlled clones cos they spoke so weird and it turns out Hickmann just can't write characters with a degree of intimacy without making them sound like Stepford wives.

Just pure wackness.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Angels #1 was... interesting. Among all the Dawn titles, this was the one of which I was most unsure. I like the team-up of Kwannon/Laura/Nathan, and the relevance of Sinister seems like it should be cool, but the early teasing of "Who is Apoth?" didn't really hook me and I fear the trio dynamic will become less and less compelling fairly quickly without another couple characters added to the mix.

X-Men #2 was pretty good. The family banter was decent; it didn't really move the needle one way or the other for me. Naturally, I was most interested in the Summoner and Arakko lore. I certainly did not foresee steamy island-on-island action, but the ending exchange between the Summoner and Apocalypse was enticing. I am definitely interested in seeing this plot expand.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man I feel sorry for all the people who aren't reading at least issue 1 of each comic, to jump into Xavier being dead must be a weird moment.

Yeah seems like we're doing the Hickman double-books thing, except across the entire lineup now. This is issue #2 so it's still not that bad, but man, imagine 2 years down the line at the climax to a big crossover X event and then you have to wrap your head around the entirety of the Hickman-verse X books.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the Summers family. Still getting used to young Cable.

apocalypse still throws me off, but I enjoy it

Fallen Angels is just ok. I need to read more

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Angels was decent-but seemed off for some reason. I like that they are definitively separating Betsy and Kwannon. It's for the best.