• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So Maker just showed up in Future Foundation so anyone who still had there bets on Maker being Xavier can probably cash in there chips now.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I was blown away by this issue. This "many lives of Moira" angle has so much potential, it's incredible.

Just the idea of having a big, happy family in one life and then giving birth to Proteus in another creates such an interesting spectrum.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Great issue, very excited for what comes next.

I hope that Moira I- X Timeline shows up on here to really examine it.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNjIvMzQ3L29yaWdpbmFsL1RpbWVsaW5lLmpwZz8xNTY1MTk0NTky

Source

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if we have another candidate for the Librarian now.

Still no Sinister, but I bet we see him involved in Xavier's current program. Also, when someone on twitter pointed out that Sinister wasnt a mutant, Hickman said wait and see.

This has to end up as the Xpeople's new status quo, so maybe we see a resolution to this madness, Moira gets her 11th life, and the Xmen restart Secret Wars style with changes here and there.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
So how does Moira meeting Xavier at age 17 in life 10 and House of X at age 50 mesh with the 10 year timeline between Moira meeting Xavier and House of X shown in PoX?

Also I'm not really an X-Men buff but were the Magneto and Apocalypse timelines supposed to be House of M and Age of Apocalypse? I'm guessing no since nobody has brought that up yet and people here seem to have read a whole lot more X-Men than me.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Awesome issue. Can't wrap my head around reincarnation being a mutant power though.

It's basically serial immortality, ie when you die you are instead reborn in a new body. Just with mixed in time travel.

THere are both immortal mutants and time traveling mutants so basically she just has a very limited form of both those powers.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Awesome issue. Can't wrap my head around reincarnation being a mutant power though.

Not the reincarnation, but the "invisible" mutant powet made me think of Bink and the old Xanth books. Everyone in Xanth has a power, cept Bink. They figure out his power is a mage-strong antimagic that keeps him hidden by its nature.

As for Age of Apoc and House of M, nope, these are completely different timelines that went down very differently.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically serial immortality, ie when you die you are instead reborn in a new body. Just with mixed in time travel.

THere are both immortal mutants and time traveling mutants so basically she just has a very limited form of both those powers.
Thanks. Knew about immortality but didnt know that time travel was also a mutant power

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So how does Moira meeting Xavier at age 17 in life 10 and House of X at age 50 mesh with the 10 year timeline between Moira meeting Xavier and House of X shown in PoX?

that is easy. Um. Okay actually that is wierd if you consider year 1 to be the year he met Moria. But based on what we have discussed here I think year one would be the actual formation of the X-Men aka X-Men #1. But considering the placement of things like the birth of Proteus the formation of the X-Men is more likely around when she was 42 or 43.

Also I'm not really an X-Men buff but were the Magneto and Apocalypse timelines supposed to be House of M and Age of Apocalypse? I'm guessing no since nobody has brought that up yet and people here seem to have read a whole lot more X-Men than me.

No. The House of M and Age of Apocalypse are alternate realities, what Moria is experiencing is a single timeline/reality but on repeat.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
that is easy. Um. Okay actually that is wierd if you consider year 1 to be the year he met Moria. But based on what we have discussed here I think year one would be the actual formation of the X-Men aka X-Men #1. But considering the placement of things like the birth of Proteus the formation of the X-Men is more likely around when she was 42 or 43.

But PoX #1 opens with Moira meeting Charles at the fair and it's explicitly labeled as X0, and that event is on the life 10 timeline in HoX #2 at year 17, which is 35 years before House of X according to that timeline. 🤔

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
But PoX #1 opens with Moira meeting Charles at the fair and it's explicitly labeled as X0, and that event is on the life 10 timeline in HoX #2 at year 17, which is 35 years before House of X according to that timeline. 🤔
You are indeed right. Good catch.
I had forgotten about that little captain on the top of the page at the fair.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
we know this isn't true though.

Life 1: Moira lives as a normal human. becomes a schoolteacher, has kids, dies at age 74. Never meets Xavier.
Life 2: Moira's life diverges, Meets Xavier in school but has no personal relationship with him. Later sees him on television announcing that he is a mutant. Hops on a plane and dies when her plane crashes into the ocean.
Life 3: Moira seeks out Xavier at Oxford. Decides not to reveal anything she knows or what she is to him. At this point she considers them both to be suffering from a disease, sets about to cure it. Moira is killed by Destiny, Mystique, and Pyro and warned explicitly by Destiny not to oppose the mutant cause in any timeline ever again or she'll be killed for it.
Life 4: Moira seeks out Xavier, starts the X-men with him. Xavier and Moira are eventually wiped out by Sentinels.
Life 5: Moira seeks out Xavier a full ten years earlier than they were supposed to meet, and opens her mind to him. Xavier gathers a substantially larger crew of mutants than he typically does in the Xavier School timelines, builds a legion and a paradise city. Everyone is wiped out again when adaptive Sentinels come for them.
Life 6: ???
Life 7: Moira doesn't seek Xavier at all- spends this life becoming an assassin dedicated to wiping out the Trask bloodline. Someone else inevitably makes sentinels at the same point in human history. Moira is killed.
Life 8: Moira doesn't seek Xavier, seeks Magneto instead. Magneto is stopped by Earth's superhumans and Moira dies in prison.
Life 9: Mora doesn't seen Xavier OR Magneto, but seeks out Apocalypse. Apocalypse kills Xavier and Magneto. This timeline results in a war without end against Sentinels. Moira apparently dies at some point in the far future in this war, as she appears to be infected with the same techno-organic virus Apocalypse has as his mate/partner.
Life 10: Moira returns to Xavier to try something "truly revolutionary." This is the current timeline.

The only one of these in which we get this bizarre, strange "Maker" version of Xavier is Life 10. Whatever she tells him in the other lives, it's not this.

edit: the "revolutionary" idea seems to be obvious.

Xavier, Magneto, and Apocalypse all have a dream or vision of how mutantkind survives. Xavier's is peaceful coexistence, Magneto's is separation (and perhaps dominance of) humanity, and Apocalypse's is survival of the fittest.

Moira is the only entity that has seen the result of all three dreams, and they end in failure. All three heard what she had to say and believed her when approached.

Xavier isn't aggressive enough. Despite his best efforts his school and cities are passively slaughtered by Sentinels.
Magneto has the aggression and drive to take the fight to the humans before Sentinels become a factor- but he lacks the power to do so on his own, and can't coalition build. He is opposed by Xavier's mutants and earth's heroes, and fails.
Apocalypse has power to spare, but his scenario results in a state of constant war where mutants survive- but no one thrives in a state of endless war.

What we have NOT seen in her 9+1 lives though is a scenario where ALL THREE combine their efforts. I'm guessing the "revolutionary" option is a fusion of the dreams of Magneto, Xavier, and Apocalypse where all three coexist.

I think you're on to something. All three working together would be revolutionary. Love this.

Hickman, I need an issue everyday.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017

It does say "Year Ten. The World"

Maybe it has to do with the artificial time properties inside The World of the Weapon Plus Program

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else amazed by how this series has made the freaking info-graphics some of the most exciting parts?

What an issue! Moira X is like the perfect retcon and the whole premise had me engrossed.

and yet my favorite moment was labeling everything after New Avengers/Astonishing X-men "The Lost Decade"
as i said to a friend, i basically read that as Hickman calling it the "even i aint touching that shit" decade

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The simulation theory is interesting and plausible, but I think Moira being a mutant is real either way.

That, along with the geopolitical setup of Krakoa, are things I think are gonna stick going into the new status quo. That seems like the stuff editorial needed to be sold on.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need me a mini of some of those timelines. This was my favorite one so far, that third life was horrific.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
So with all this womb/birth imagery, and Destiny making an appearance...any possibility of "Project: Black Womb" showing up?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I kinda wondered if it was the lost decade because it was when hope was lost.

Though my joke is that's why it's only been 10 years since the X-Men formed... They erased 10 years.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it, and literally ran from my reading room to where my wife was cross-stitching and told her she had to read it now.

Holy shit. I need to collect myself so that I can actually think about this.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I wonder if Destiny lied about Moira's set number of lives.
It would be in her best interest to lie to Moira. It forces Moira to make the most of every life, and really REALLY think about what is most important to her. In the timeline where Pyro killed her, she hadn't fully thought out creating the cure. If she had a limited number of tries, she'd be more likely to do more drastic things to survive.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Even after accidentally coming in here this morning and seeing spoilers, reading this thing was wild. I'm so glad these books are coming weekly because having to wait a month in between each one would be painful.

I suppose it's significant that Hickman glossed over Moira's sixth life and didn't show us how her ninth with Apocalypse ended?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So here is a question I don't think has been asked. Why did Moria fake her own death in timeline 10?

Assuming it is the 616 (there are some discrepancies in the timeline that makes me not 100% sure) she hasn't been seen since before Scott and Emma took over the school (actually significantly longer in 616)

So what do we think she's up to?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Given that machine life is shown to be an evolutionary inevitability in this issue I'm betting that the war against the man/machine alliance in PoX #1 is ended due to mutantions occuring in machine life, with those mutant machines aiding the mutants. Nimrod is probably a mutant machine too.

Though I guess the Danger Room turned into a mutant in Whedon's run so there may be mutant machines already.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I need me a mini of some of those timelines. This was my favorite one so far, that third life was horrific.
I was laughing at just how many interesting storylines Hickman was seemingly throwing away or glossing over. Though I definitely think many of them can be explored further in the future, I wonder what storytelling method will be used.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
There are still 7 issues left, I am sure we'll see more of those timelines before were are done.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the big graph of Moira lives I noticed that the mutants manifestation only happens in 4 of her timelines at the age of 13 if I'm looking at it correctly