• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
From Wikipedia, but it's worth noting that according to the entry on Xorn he's capable of both "teleportation (time-space wormholes" and he can also turn that black hole in his head into a sun - something that could theoretically be the springboard for a new galaxy. (He's literally a galaxy brain haha)

But the former is much more important. We have no idea what the rules of that really are and Hickman can easily retcon or twist it. Even if, say, the dead bodies we actually saw on the page ended up on X2 Krakoa, Charles could put them in the pods, revive them, and that too could've been part of Moira's plan all along. So yes, let's see what really happens with a black hole in the context of this story.

Edit: This would even correlate perfectly with the messianic/religious imagery so far. The Life 9 X-Men die valiantly and turn up on Krakoa as though it were Valhalla. They're in "heaven", about to be "saved" by a Saint Charles (Xavier). Moira or Apocalypse may even have known about Xorn's power and told them this would be their fate the whole time. I'd love to see Cardinal react to this of course.
Yes. There's a chance Rasputin, Xorn and Omega just pop up in the Mojoverse.

Hey, maybe this is where X-Baby Havok comes in?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Saw this mentioned on reddit: What if it's actually omega level mutants that are being used to power Krakoa? That would certainly fit with them being the "greatest natural resource" and also explain why we haven't seen any of them.

Also makes the scene with Cyke and the F4 that much more chilling.

The Omega mutant used to power Krakoa is... KRAKOA. Krakoa is an omega level mutant that seeded the planet on it's death and Krakoa Jr was born. Both have little more than an animal intelligence but are connected to the whole planet through its power.

In the Apocalypse wins timeline, Krakoa merges with Cypher.

As far as the greatest natural resource seeing ghosts. Consider just the most popular X-Men that exist. Just movie ones.

Storm could end or atleast mitigate global warming.

Jean Grey, Charles Xavier and Emma Frost could solve bigotry.

Between Cyclops and Havok free electorcity can happen.

Iceman and Pyro heat and ac for everyone is a re thing.

This does not even get into less popular characters like Elixer who can cure any illness.

Jubilee, who can make directed plasma energy possible.

Madrox, who can learn anything through his dupes and the absorb the knowlege

Bishop, who can absorb and redirect any kinetic energy he encounters.

and that doesnt get into the villains like Magneto, Exodus, Sebastian Shaw or Gideon.

in the 616 Marvel timeline mutants could save the world. that is why my favorite quote from any mutant in 616 is Sebastian Shawn's line to Xavier after Decimation.

"Face it, Charles we were supposed to be the clever ones the Visionaries. You, me, Erik.

And all we've ever done is fight until our Knuckles bled."

He leaves and leaves Xavier to wonder what a future would be if those three had work together.

And Hickman's run is the answer.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
The Omega mutant used to power Krakoa is... KRAKOA. Krakoa is an omega level mutant that seeded the planet on it's death and Krakoa Jr was born. Both have little more than an animal intelligence but are connected to the whole planet through its power.

In the Apocalypse wins timeline, Krakoa merges with Cypher.

As far as the greatest natural resource seeing ghosts. Consider just the most popular X-Men that exist. Just movie ones.

Storm could end or atleast mitigate global warming.

Jean Grey, Charles Xavier and Emma Frost could solve bigotry.

Between Cyclops and Havok free electorcity can happen.

Iceman and Pyro heat and ac for everyone is a re thing.

This does not even get into less popular characters like Elixer who can cure any illness.

Jubilee, who can make directed plasma energy possible.

Madrox, who can learn anything through his dupes and the absorb the knowlege

Bishop, who can absorb and redirect any kinetic energy he encounters.

and that doesnt get into the villains like Magneto, Exodus, Sebastian Shaw or Gideon.

in the 616 Marvel timeline mutants could save the world. that is why my favorite quote from any mutant in 616 is Sebastian Shawn's line to Xavier after Decimation.

"Face it, Charles we were supposed to be the clever ones the Visionaries. You, me, Erik.

And all we've ever done is fight until our Knuckles bled."

He leaves and leaves Xavier to wonder what a future would be if those three had work together.

And Hickman's run is the answer.

This is the post of any X-Men dan's career.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I never saw North bite it, I'll have to go back. I'm a little confused about Xorn's singularity and the damage/area etc. Rasputin could have accidentally wiped out Moira early unless its some localized thing.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I never saw North bite it, I'll have to go back. I'm a little confused about Xorn's singularity and the damage/area etc. Rasputin could have accidentally wiped out Moira early unless its some localized thing.

It appears that Moira is in the No-Place. I'm not sure if the damage would reach her there because we don't really have more concrete info on where if any physical place these Krakoan tumors exist.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious about Franklin. They made very specific mention of him in the first issue, but he isn't on any of the survivor lists in the future. Maybe he goes down with the avengers world being defeated?
I need to go back and reread cap's bogus adventures from Hickman's Avengers run. Franklin showed up with groot in the furture, but I dunno if that was before or after the 1000 year mark

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm sad that, while I started a bit eh on the Year 100 stuff (because I didn't know what to make out of it), as soon as I get super invested, it's over lol. But that's such a great way to show Moria IX's life. It's an effective ending and a revelation that's just so obvious in hindsight.

Really liked Rasputin and Cardinal. Hopefully they (or at least she) can make it to Moria X's timeline somehow.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Is there a completed legend for the krakoa cipher now?
This got lost in the discussion, does anyone have an idea? Are there even Hardcovers for it yet? D:
Pretty sure there hasn't been one announced yet. I also want hardcovers (I own the series digitally) because the trade covers are an odd material that collects dust and bends all weird.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
It could be, but remember Krakoa is supposed to have fallen. Wouldn't be surprised if K is just a reference to their old home rather than the asteroid literally being Krakoa. If it was a mutant I doubt it'd be a good hiding spot.

Krakoa itself was possessing Cypher's body, Cardinal planted a "black seed of Krakoa" to get to Asteroid K, and Krakoa/Cypher made himself into a portal back to Asteroid K in the latest issue.

If Asteroid K was meant to be anything other than what was left of Krakoa, I would be extremely surprised.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I read some theories here that X2 was actually Moira's ninth life and it's really cool to see it turn out to be true at the end of this issue! I suppose it should've been obvious given that X0 Moira did tell Charles about Rasputin, Cardinal, and Nimrod's tower. Still, very satisfying to have that confirmed. On the other hand, I was incredibly excited to see the Horsemen named and learn what X-Genes went into Cardinal ("Freeman" is... Francis? From the Deadpool films?) and the others. Pestilence (codename "North?") being a chimera with Polaris and Emma's genes was a pretty neat surprise. Sadly, these cool new characters are dead now. I'm gonna miss Rasputin quite a bit. Would've loved to see more of North too, but I recall him even doing anything here.

I was also a little moved seeing Apocalypse sacrifice himself like that. I've not read much stories with Apocalypse yet (not even Age of Apocalypse, unfortunately) so I'm not sure if something like that had been done before. Seeing the sad look on Wolverine's face before he kills Moira though... Damn.

Speaking of those last few moments, I understand what Silva was going for by blurring those action shots of Apocalypse getting beaten around (still pretty shocking to see that, lol) but I felt like the blurring was either a little too much or just plain unfitting for the scene. It didn't work for me. I've seen the technique employed in other comics before and those worked, but I'm not sure why this one didn't. The silhouette of Wolverine stabbing Moira looked amazing though. Definitely my favorite panel out of the entire issue.

Now I wonder what the rest of the Powers of X issues will tackle... Aside from the X3 time period.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
So when is Bill showing up?

TRBFNcN_d.jpg

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Probably worth noting: Hickman and Dustin Weaver have a one-page "story" about Apocalypse in Marvel 1000. It's a $10 book, so I'll just post the page here once the book is out tonight.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Another great issue. Nothing mind blowing or revelatory this week-but it seems the main story is finally moving forward in the present. Great cliffhanger.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
great issue, one thing bothering me tho.

That super prison is named Achilles.
the hero famous for his single weak spot.

They named a bloody prison after a single exploitable fatal flaw.

humanity really is doomed.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
Another great issue this week. I was really looking forward to another full issue in the present, and this not dissapoint, very gripping. Really happy to see Emma, and she has a killer scene.

Also makes you appreciate the work that has been done by Hickman this past few weeks. This happens almost immediatly after House of X #1, but it would not have read the same without all the issues in between.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Frost...I mean White Queen's introduction in today's issue was brilliant.

What's with Angel having his Archangel appearance? I thought he was cured of that after Uncanny X-Force?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Frost...I mean White Queen's introduction in today's issue was brilliant.

What's with Angel having his Archangel appearance? I thought he was cured of that after Uncanny X-Force?

IIRC Angel was split into two entities. Angel and a near-mindless Archangel. The two eventually merged again. Warren can shift between the two forms, but apparently was extremely reluctant to do so.

Edit: Heck of a cliffhanger though. No way the team should have been injured from that- Jean and/or Monet should have been able to detect that coming in advance, and a TK bubble could allow most of the team to tank the blast. They're pretty screwed getting home- though I imagine the humans would have at least some way of getting out of the station themselves.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Xavier and Magneto constantly babbling about not letting Scott die "because everyone remembers a founder" or whatever was super weird. I half thought they were setting them up to be martyrs or something.

I also wonder about Emma passing off her sunglasses to one of the Cuckoos, who put them on. Character moment, or something else?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Xavier and Magneto constantly babbling about not letting Scott die "because everyone remembers a founder" or whatever was super weird. I half thought they were setting them up to be martyrs or something.

I also wonder about Emma passing off her sunglasses to one of the Cuckoos, who put them on. Character moment, or something else?

That quote appears again near the end of the book. Hard to say whether it's simply a platitude meant to inspire, or whether this is a hint that Charles can resurrect mutants at will if he has to.

We still never got an explanation for those birthing pods, and there were quite a few dead mutants that inexplicably "got better" by the time HoX #1 rolled around.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
X seemed even more creepy and detached, but there go the Xmen without blinking. I thought we would get a forehead reveal from someone. I'll have to go back and check if they show anyone's forehead for red diamonds, but Kurt's hair is on point and obstructive.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
That quote appears again near the end of the book. Hard to say whether it's simply a platitude meant to inspire, or whether this is a hint that Charles can resurrect mutants at will if he has to.

I was thinking maybe that Cyclops and maybe some of his team were already the pod clones. Xavier either sent them off to die, or keeps a batch of them ready to send out on missions.

Maybe we'll get a one-eyed, pissed-off real Cyclops show up to go against Xavier.

Also:

"A Nimrod is an end state, Nano-Sentinel construct. Moira X had learned that while emergent A.I.s are unavoidable, an anti-mutant Nimrod is not. It is a product of a particular intent -- manufactured for a purpose."

Makes me think the goal of Moira X isn't to destroy Nimrod, but to affect the circumstances of the creation of Nimrod so that he's not manufactured for the purpose of eliminating mutants. That'd be my plan, at least.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moira shows up in charge of Orchis or something.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Magneto's line reminded me of his post-Genosha genoicde vocal recording, and how he was remembered better in death than he was when he was alive.

"It's a strange thing to die. I was Magneto, the master of magnetic forces. Now I will be a voice in the darkness, echoing forever. Once, I was a mortal man. Now I am becoming memory, immortal. They must have thought they could silence us forever. Instead we have become magnetic. Unstoppable. "

New-X-Men-132-page-B-e1400600959739-660x821.jpg

I like the moral ambiguity of a lot of this. Sabretooth is a bloodthirsty monster, killer of men women and children, and yet our "heroes" are rescuing him from justice. The X-men board the Mother Mold, but the most sympathetic, recognizably human characters are the panicked scientist couple, the monster mutants banging at their door like a horror movie, the tearful sacrifice.

Oct 26, 2017
Magneto's line reminded me of his post-Genosha genoicde vocal recording, and how he was remembered better in death than he was when he was alive.

"It's a strange thing to die. I was Magneto, the master of magnetic forces. Now I will be a voice in the darkness, echoing forever. Once, I was a mortal man. Now I am becoming memory, immortal. They must have thought they could silence us forever. Instead we have become magnetic. Unstoppable. "

New-X-Men-132-page-B-e1400600959739-660x821.jpg

I like the moral ambiguity of a lot of this. Sabretooth is a bloodthirsty monster, killer of men women and children, and yet our "heroes" are rescuing him from justice. The X-men board the Mother Mold, but the most sympathetic, recognizably human characters are the panicked scientist couple, the monster mutants banging at their door like a horror movie, the tearful sacrifice.

That speech was some god-tier writing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i am reminded emma frost is the only fictional character i've found myself attracted to

but also the cuckoos now i guess

on a more serious note, this book is too damn good