• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler rules:
We have decided to implement an Open Spoilers policy. The day an issue is released, it's fine to discuss its story here in the thread.
b4b3071291f1680539720db0c04052fb.jpg

hox-pox-1.jpg

HOUSE OF X #1, written by Jonathan Hickman with art by Pepe Larraz, hits stands on Wednesday, July 24. POWERS OF X #1, written by Hickman with art by R. B. Silva, hits stands on Wednesday, July 31.

Straight from Marvel themselves, here is this helpful FAQ:
What is HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X?
Jonathan Hickman is introducing the next era of the X-Men, and the starting point for this experience is the HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X series. These stories will be the foundation for all X-Men stories over the next several years and return the X-Men to their rightful, prominent position in the Marvel Universe.

What is HOUSE OF X about?
HOUSE OF X is a story about a pivotal month in the history of the X-Men where everything changes for mutants on Earth. We can't tell you more because we've all sworn oaths of secrecy.

What is POWERS OF X about?
POWERS OF X is a story about the unknown secret history of mutants in the Marvel Universe. That is all we can say because the above blood oath covers this series as well.

Which series is the main book?
They are both the main book. Although the grammar of that sentence may be incorrect, the answer is not. Each series is equally important as you need to read both to get the full story. And as you delve further into each series, you'll see how they are connected.

Which series should I read?
I guess you skipped the above question. You should read both series. It works as a series of reveals and revelations where each issue of HOUSE OF X that that follows POWERS OF X – and vice versa – makes you reinterpret the issue you had previously read. And then, obviously, at the end they crash together in a way that propels us forward into a new X-Universe.

Is the name of the series pronounced "powers of X" or "powers of ten"?
That is a good question. It is pronounced "powers of ten." You'll understand that when you read the series.

What happens after the HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X series?
Glad you asked. We have the benefit of long-term planning and knowing this will be the direction of the X-books for the next several years. At the conclusion of HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X, we'll be launching an entire new universe of X-books. Some will be traditional fare, some will carry through on ideas presented in HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X, and some books are completely new concepts. Hickman will be writing the ongoing flagship X-book.

pox.jpg

Where do I read this???
You can get these physical issues at your local Comic Book Shop or you can purchase digital copies on the same release day at Comixology!
House of X
Powers of X

A detailed explanation by jon bones
The plan is this:

Hickman is now the director of the X-Men/mutant universe for the next 3+ years.

He is starting a fresh slate, similar to Giant X-Men #1 or Morrison's New X-Men. For 12 weeks, this initial story will set the stage and crack open a lot of storytelling opportunities.

Then Wave 1 of X-Books release. Hickman is directing all of them, and writing 1 (the flagship).

At some point, there will be a Wave 2 of books.

More information:

Who is Jonathan Hickman?
Jonathan Hickman (born September 3, 1972) is an American comic book writer and artist. He is known for creating the Image Comics series The Nightly News, The Manhattan Projects and East of West, as well as working on Marvel Comics' Fantastic Four, FF, and S.H.I.E.L.D. titles. In 2012, Hickman ended his run on the Fantastic Four titles to write The Avengers and The New Avengers, as part the "Marvel NOW!" relaunch. In 2013, Hickman wrote a six-part miniseries, Infinity, plus Avengers tie-ins for Marvel Comics. In 2015, he wrote the crossover event Secret Wars.
jonathan-hickman_f232b619b1_4c8d099e819a7146712525ccb2eb9e7c.jpg

Why is this writer a big deal?
Comic fans will know that Hickman's writing style is impressive and that his stories tend to end up as massive tomes-that end up defining a new status quo and also even eventually intertwine with his other works. Hickman wrote a remarkable long form Fantastic Four story that is full of heart, wonder and MANY moments you'll remember forever.

Do I need to have read any of his past works to understand this X-Men run?
Presumably no. It will most likely be a self contained story and if anything needs to be known from the past it will be referenced and defined in this story. That being said-you will more than likely have a more robust understanding of the Marvel Universe and his specific topics of lore if you have read it all. It's all magnificent and highly recommended.

OK I'd like to read his past Marvel books beforehand.
Here you go! If you have a Marvel Universe subscription you can read all of these. If you have a library card, the digital app Hoopla might have these as well for free to read on your device of choice.
X9zUA8X.png

Do I need to know anything about the recent X-Men books to enjoy this?
Again, probably not-but it wouldn't hurt. That said, the X-Men comics have been a sad state of affairs for many years. There have been a few bright spots here and there, but for the most part it's been slipshod, unremarkable runs with a few "good" books in-between. (X-Men Red and All-New Wolverine by Tom Taylor were my recent favorites). Most likely Hickman will tell you everything you need to know in the book in order to enjoy it. That being said-if you are interested Marvel has recently released a series of interesting books called Grand Design that are basically the most important compressed history of the X-Men in about 6 issues.

MISC:
Hickman interview at CBR Hickman interview at CBR

Marvel has been releasing a very cool retrospective on the "Seminal Moments of the X-Men" on their Youtube Channel-it's very much worth watching!

Interesting interview

Some more promo art and interior art:
POWEROFX2019001-preview-2.jpg

HOUSEOFX2019001-preview-2.jpg

D83AP3fXYAE9XxI

img_20190621_205059a3klw.jpg

Spoiler rules:
We have decided to implement an Open Spoilers policy. The day an issue is released, it's fine to discuss its story here in the thread.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
This'll be my first time reading comic books Live with like-minded fans, so it's gonna be quite the experience. It's also my first time back at X-Men since I read them in the 1990s, so I'm very happy that I'll have people here, who can fill in details and info if need be as to not get lost in the spectacle. Thanks a bunch for your work creating this thread Dalek !

Meanwhile I've read X-Men: Grand Design 1, and will be starting up Grand Design 2 when I'm done with my read of Jack Kirby's Eternals.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe like Cable. She came from the future, but minus time travel story arc.

Or she's just a product of Mr Sinister experiment

This could make sense. I'm finally happy to just see some focus on other X-Men's importance other than Summers and Greys.

a Rasputin/Pryde bloodline should be just as potent.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
🙏🏾

great work. will be an exciting journey we share together for the next few years!

anyone leaked spoilers for this yet
Nope. They sent around the first couple issues last month, but they're under NDA.

This is a NON SPOILER thread. Discuss this elsewhere, please!

How will spoilers work in this thread? As soon as an issue is out it's open spoiler talk? Or do we use spoiler tags for a limited time?

I think open spoilers for released issues makes sense - Dalek will make the call, though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm secretly hoping Comixology will do a Jonathan Hickman sale for 'The Marvel Saga' when these X-books launches. My wallet is ready.

I'm curious, who are these two? Poor guesses, Ilyana and Moonstar? And who are these red robots? Some kind of Sentinels?
Husk and Monet I think. Don't know who the red guys are.

Oct 25, 2017
I am so ready, X-Men is by far my favorite comic book property and this and MCU taking over the X-Men it's an exciting time to be a fan.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Reading Power of X description on ComiXology

I'm guessing they are doing stories in the future (where Kitty and Peter daughter might be and Kirk's son) there's also an art of old man Magneto

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Count me in Im a huge Marvu fan. Pachimari can attest to that.
This one's skrullin'

Husk and Monet I think. Don't know who the red guys are.
Thanks!

Not New Mutants, Generation X. Specifically Husk & Monet - the first two collected books were a really great read & intro to those 2: https://m.comixology.com/Generation-X-1994-2001/comics-series/10383
Wow, thanks for the links! I've added them to my wishlist for now, since I have plenty of comic books to get through heh.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty well versed on X-Men comics, at least the big seminal stories. I'm generally a catch-up reader through MU too, but I'll be buying these series as the launch and reading them digitally. Can't wait.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. There's also an interview on comcbook.com that came out earlier than the CBR one IIRC and covers different topics :

Also, "This is Xavier, not Maker" should be somewhere in the OP lol.

Honestly, I'm not even trying to figure what this means continuity-wise, if this is another timeline, a future story or whatever, I'm just here to enjoy the ride.

PS: people should read Grand Design.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I. Must. Wait. For. The. Trade.

I'll keep saying this to myself untill i pick up #1 when this releases.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yes. So not for Marvel Comics in general (saw your post in the comics ot), but only for Jonathan Hickman's X-Men.

yeah, love the work Dalek but that title may be confusing. "Jonathan Hickman's X-Men..." may be more clear

Wow, thanks for the links! I've added them to my wishlist for now, since I have plenty of comic books to get through heh.

No problem, I'm also deep in the middle of a big X-Men catch up backlog.

I'm pretty well versed on X-Men comics, at least the big seminal stories. I'm generally a catch-up reader through MU too, but I'll be buying these series as the launch and reading them digitally. Can't wait.

I am going to try to read as we go, but it's rare. May end up trade waiting as I said this same thing during Avengers/New Avengers.

Ghostbound

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Where's the best place to buy digitally nowadays?

I was gonna try and wait the six months or so and read this on MU but there's no way that's happening.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This'll be my first time reading comic books Live with like-minded fans, so it's gonna be quite the experience. It's also my first time back at X-Men since I read them in the 1990s, so I'm very happy that I'll have people here, who can fill in details and info if need be as to not get lost in the spectacle. Thanks a bunch for your work creating this thread @Dalek !
Same exact situation for me. I'm excited af.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This will be the first Marvel comics run I read. Will be fun to talk about it in here.

From Europe so Marvel comics were never as big as Duck comics (especially by Don Rosa) or Spirou & Fantasio or Asterix for me. But over these last few years I read a bit of Sandman, became a fan of Hellboy and just finished Saga up to the current volume. So this will be an experiment to see if this might be for me too - espescially since I enjoy the lore to begin with and have read the odd comic OT here or in the old place.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'll also be reading with y'all live, and this is the first time I'll be reading a comic book series as it's ongoing
However...I haven't really read any X-Men comics as I'm a novice when in comes to comics in general, so I'll be reading Grand Design first like Himynameischris recommended me to do

Oct 25, 2017
Probably finding someone who's getting the physical copy and splitting the costs for their codes

Haven't bought an actual comic in years, do they come with DL codes now?

I'll also be reading with y'all live, and this is the first time I'll be reading a comic book series as it's ongoing
However...I haven't really read any X-Men comics as I'm a novice when in comes to comics in general, so I'll be reading Grand Design first like Himynameischris recommended me to do

Welcome to the X-Men

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Ha! Nice - seems like we are in a similar position! Also never read an ongoing comic book or anything Marvel.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's great to see so much excitement here for this run.

Hickman's FF is probably my favorite comic ever written, but I read a bunch of Marvel Cosmic right beforehand for the first time.

Avengers led to the GOAT event Secret Wars, but I never really had a ton of love for them before the MCU. It also suffered a bit because all the characters were in other books, and it made things a bit confusing.

This... feels like a big deal. Like most of you, I have loved the X-Men for decades at this point. Of all the comic series' I have read, I've read more X-Men than anything. Now we have one of the greatest in the game, with a dedicated corner of the MU, directing ALL mutant stories for the next few years. Feels unprecedented in a way.

Grand Design is THE best way to start. 6 issues of pure, distilled X-Men lore.

We don't know a lot about what's to come, but I feel very good recommending this as your second read. It is 8 issues focused on the Scott & Jean, Mr Sinister & Apocalypse relationships.

It won't be as straightforward and self-contained as Grand Design (nothing will be), but it feels like a good way to understand more about these two villains.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be so fun.

You guys can feel free to drop questions in here and when the first issue hits, if you're confused, don't panic. This isn't going to be something we understand perfectly from issue 1 onwards. Seeing the whole picture towards the end of it all is going to be half the fun!

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I'm so excited for this. When I first got back into comics earlier this decade Hickman's Fantastic Four run wasn't the first or last thing I started with this decade but it became my most memorable. And as I got back into comics this year, I finished collecting his Marvel run and it got me right back in. Glad to be here once again for a Hickman beginning.

Prince Abubu

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
United States
I'm sure this run will be great, but Hickman reads terribly month to month, and benefits greatly from binge-reading. I'll dive into all this once it's all over and I can get it for 99¢ an issue on ComiXology.