• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I see this thread offers tasteful company.
B34UHGK.gif

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I hope you're using the new definition of literally instead of the actual meaning of literally, because if you literally sold your copies of these comics to your friends, what are you going to read?
Sold in the salesman sense. Sold 2 people on picking it up, not my personal copies, which would be difficult since they are digital lol

Aug 27, 2018
Speaking of variant covers, is there anywhere online where you could order most or all of the variants for House of X #1?
Every time I've gone to my local shop to pick up either Power of X or House of X they ONLY have variants, very odd. Even the shop owner mentioned how weird it was that he always had leftover variants but not the original cover.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
is it at all possible that Hickman is intending to retcon whole swaths of X-Men history as separate Moira lives? Marvel's sliding timeline just compresses an impossible amount of near-extinction level events for mutants in such a small amount of time, and I wonder if effectively creating 10 X-Men timelines here is a workaround meant to accommodate all that history and/or all the many alternate futures presented over the years?
Nah. In regards to continuity Hickman is very much like Slott or Morrison. He wants to make it all important ans remembered.

Despite the ending to Secret War, Hickman isnt really a history remover, he's a history celebrator.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Nah. In regards to continuity Hickman is very much like Slott or Morrison. He wants to make it all important ans remembered.

Despite the ending to Secret War, Hickman isnt really a history remover, he's a history celebrator.

This is true- for all the hype about the marvel universe "ending" and "everything dies" Time Runs Out and Secret Wars left 99.9999999% of it in place. You don't do that unless you love continuity and understand what makes it valuable.

Oct 31, 2017
First Time reading the X-Men comics and I'm loving this despite having to research some characters that I don't know (I've been only exposed to X-Men through the films). Any X-Men recommendations that I should read?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
First Time reading the X-Men comics and I'm loving this despite having to research some characters that I don't know (I've been only exposed to X-Men through the films). Any X-Men recommendations that I should read?

Grand Design is probably the only thing I'd say is a good idea. That will catch you up on the "gist" of everything that's happened on the Xmen timeline.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know a ton about X-Men history, it always seemed very daunting to get in to because it's been going on forever and there's like time travel and stuff. That's why I'm jumping in now.
Yeah, Hickmans done it perfectly where there's stuff for old time readers but newbies can pick it up and don't need prior knowledge.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Grand Design is probably the only thing I'd say is a good idea. That will catch you up on the "gist" of everything that's happened on the Xmen timeline.

as much as I actually hate the art and think some of the Rewritten narrative is a bit mean spirited to the original stories, it is the fastest way to catch up.
It's basically a quick and ugly look at the long history of the team.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, despite having very little non-movie X-Men knowledge, I'm only confused in a way that's clearly intentional at this point of the story, I don't feel lost because of my lack of previous X-book history. I do want to touch on some previous stories eventually but I feel perfectly comfortable without it right now.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
as much as I actually hate the art and think some of the Rewritten narrative is a bit mean spirited to the original stories, it is the fastest way to catch up.
It's basically a quick and ugly look at the long history of the team.
It also plays fast and loose with the facts and totally rewrites the proteus incident which considering the prominence of Moira in this story and Hickman's love of continuity could still leave people confused if they only read grand design.

My personal beef is turning what kitty fought on Christmas into an alien instead of a demon from the on property cairn.

But yeah I read GD based on all the raves in here and was not impressed. I honestly think you can get just as good of and a more accurate look at the history from the beginning to DPS just by reading the issue Eulogy.

Not so sure for summing up everything after.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the art on Grand Design. It captures this sort of 'lost pop culture' artifact from a bygone era feel that makes it feel dated and apocryphal while being completely current.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The art was why I dropped it. I could have worked through the rewrites and the spiteful retelling of certain things but the art was just so ugly to me I couldn't keep going.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I can't believe i'm reading a comic book month-to-month for the fist time in years. Even more, I can't believe that the hype from all the Marvel's writers and editors before a single issue came were actually understatements. This is incredibly compelling.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Hickmans done it perfectly where there's stuff for old time readers but newbies can pick it up and don't need prior knowledge.
Yeah I'm generally ignorant of xmen in comics (outside of a couple events I read way back) so I'm coming at this fresh and it's pretty good. Liking it a lot and I plan on keeping up with it.
Watching discussion, some of my points of curiosity or confusion are shared by the longterm fans so we're pretty much on the same page regardless. Not a lot of prior knowledge needed to still be in this together.

I'll probably dip my toe into this, see if it's up my alley.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, do we think Marvel will ever let Hickman go again? If they have the choice, that is.
I would think it would remain in his best interest to never become completely tied down. He'll run with this idea as long as its creatively and financially successfully and then have open opportunity to do whatever he wants, be it another creator owned book or DC or reboot another dead Marvel property. He's in a great position.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I think Hickman is in that group that can basically pick and choose, but then again after the whole thing with DC and the legion I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to work there for a good while.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Hickman has said that after X-Men his dream projects are all at DC, but that should be years into the future.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
*Pushes glasses up bridge of nose*

So watching some random reviews and reaction vids of HOX #2 on YouTube, it's weird to me how many of them are like "Oh and some chick named Destiny", "Destiny, a new mutant I think", "Who is Destiny?"

I'd have thought her associations with Mystique, Rogue, the Brotherhood, Days of Future Past, the lead up to Legion Quest and Age of Apocalypse (included it's conclusion inside the M'Kraan crystal) would have made her more known

Or at least Google the character and browse a wiki before producing a vid meant to "inform"

Not to mention the butchering of the name "Moira"..."My-ra", "Moria"...

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I wonder if Namor will come into play at all. He may be a joke mutant and a prick, but having underwater allies couldn't hurt, especially as an island nation.

Did Hickman use Namor in his FF run at all?

So watching some random reviews and reaction vids of HOX #2 on YouTube, it's weird to me how many of them are like "Oh and some chick named Destiny", "Destiny, a new mutant I think", "Who is Destiny?"

I'd have thought her associations with Mystique, Rogue, the Brotherhood, Days of Future Past, the lead up to Legion Quest and Age of Apocalypse (included it's conclusion inside the M'Kraan crystal) would have made her more known

She wasn't in any of the movies.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
If they were casuals maybe....Seems a weak reason for supposed comic BOOK heads nerdy enough to have dedicated channels of CB reviews....but oh well, I guess there's a reason why I never went to YouTube for this type of media before

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
They skipped the 6th timeline, so I'm guessing that's the main Marvel universe.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they were casuals maybe....Seems a weak reason for supposed comic BOOK heads nerdy enough to have dedicated channels of CB reviews....but oh well, I guess there's a reason why I never went to YouTube for this type of media before
When it comes to CB reviews on YT, it's a very small crapshoot imo. You'll find a decent channel but they'll have a myriad of issues that no one really cares for such as either an over abundance of content and a very dull creator to name a few.