• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
Hickman didn't show why Jean needed Monet. After Monet's sacrifice, Jean had zero issues reestablishing the telepathic link

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they're going to be simply resurrected because it takes away from the power of the sacrifice and the ending.
Xavier: NO MORE!!!!....well fire up the pods.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they're going to be simply resurrected because it takes away from the power of the sacrifice and the ending.

I don't know, I think it shows Xavier's not just going to treat everyone as expendable because they've got the pods.

And I'm now very certain the first scene in HoX was a flash forward to the team being resurrected.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the idea of taking Magneto along for this mission, that might not have been too wise.

One, Magneto is part of the mutant leadership and, from a pragmatic point of view, less expendable right now.

Two, Magneto may be too much of an obvious target and it's not impossible to counter him. We've seen that before.

In a few words...if he was part of the team, then the story would simply be re-written to reach a similar outcome.

Perhaps, but is it really the right thing to do? I think that's going to be one of the main ethical questions. As far as we know, this isn't necessarily common knowledge yet.

That was a good read, but I'm tired of seeing x-men die. I just want Scott and Jean to be happy.

Unfortunately, I assume that will only happen at the end of a particular arc and even then not for too long.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hickman didn't show why Jean needed Monet. After Monet's sacrifice, Jean had zero issues reestablishing the telepathic link
I like the explanation that she was injured in the bomb blast. Xavier could feel Jean's pain so that makes some sense within the narrative too.

I still argue it's tactical buffoonery to send your Omega level telepath physically on a mission like this though.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Great issue. Read it a few times already. Loving the art to both HOX & POX. Pepe Larraz is on another level right now. Quickly becoming one of my favorite X-Men artist for sure. That panel of Cyclops visor and Jean. Oooh Wee!! Cannot wait for POX next week.

My gripe though, too many writers be doing my guy Archangel dirty and treating him like a second class X-man. This muthafucka has celestial wings, an heir apparent to Apocalypse and he just gets murked straight off the dribble. I was at the very least hoping to see a fastball special with Wolverine! 😭

The down playing of Wanda's decimation on M-day was unnecessary. "No More Mutants" will still be ringing out in the lore of the X-Men.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
"If man made me, then they are God. And you are Titans, their spoiled lineage... But while you war, we children sit in judgment of those above us... We judge and find you both wanting."

I continue to very much dig Hickman's interpretation of the Sentinels and how they fit into the mutant/human conflict.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the reason Professor X always has his helmet on is because he's fiddling with potential scenarios in Moira's mind - looking for the best outcomes based on her lives.

Could be what's meant by "breaking the rules."

Idk. At this point, it's a guess as good as any?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
"If man made me, then they are God. And you are Titans, their spoiled lineage... But while you war, we children sit in judgment of those above us... We judge and find you both wanting."

I continue to very much dig Hickman's interpretation of the Sentinels and how they fit into the mutant/human conflict.

Yeah, I really think this is the story of the Sentinels, and not the humans or X-Men.

The ending should be the Sentinels saying "You know what? we're tired of both your shit. We're outta here. PEACE!" and then just flying off into space or another dimension or whatever.

Then the new X-Men status quo is "no more looming Sentinels."

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the reason Professor X always has his helmet on is because he's fiddling with potential scenarios in Moira's mind - looking for the best outcomes based on her lives.

Could be what's meant by "breaking the rules."

Idk. At this point, it's a guess as good as any?

The main question we should be asking is -where is Moria currently?

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Jean's their Omega telepath...

I think we could all come up with a team that could dominate that mission and not die, because comics! But what we're all hinting around is somehow, these arent our X-men. We've literally seen Jean hold a shuttle together TKly, M showed off Penance like she does it all the time, and Angel got dropped way too easy.

Also there are 3 Cuckoos in that X monitoring scene, one with Hank, Storm and I guess Sage each.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine's existence throws a huge wrench in that theory, since even if you could clone him adamantium is ridiculously difficult to obtain and even harder to graft onto a skeleton that way.

Wolverine is the LAST dude you'd clone just to fire into the sun on a suicide mission, and he's not an Omega so having the "real" one hidden as some kind of battery doesn't make a lot of sense.

Warren as Archangel presents nearly the same set of problems. You do not want to intentionally replicate the circumstances that caused that.

Who says it's still adamantium? He could have been genetically altered to produce organic metal, similar to Colossus's armored form.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think we could all come up with a team that could dominate that mission and not die, because comics! But what we're all hinting around is somehow, these arent our X-men. We've literally seen Jean hold a shuttle together TKly, M showed off Penance like she does it all the time, and Angel got dropped way too easy.

Also there are 3 Cuckoos in that X monitoring scene, one with Hank, Storm and I guess Sage each.
I think there's enough hints that Krakoa's influencing everyone to not exactly be themselves. Magneto, Mystique and Sage seemed the most resistant to that, which makes sense with those paranoid three, but I think everyone is probably the real deal.

Also that was Trinary working with the home team. Sage was probably busy making sure Krakoa's portals were running on time or something.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I had photoshop skills to put the X-Men on the various labels.

L0fj1JA_d.jpg

zhV7aUK_d.jpg

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
To be fair, Organic Metal isn't why Jimmy Hudson sucks. He sucks because X-23 and Daken already fill his niche much better.

It doesnt matter "why" jimmy hudson sucks. Turning wolverine into a copy of a character everybody hates isn't something marvel is going to do.

That being said, whatever happened to those hot claws wolverine had for five minutes? Because fans REALLY loved that

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I feel like almost anyone could've put together an 8 person X-Team that didn't result in a suicide mission, or used a telepath that didn't need Monet's help to phone home.

The ten million dollar question:

Why wouldn't you use Hijack for this? You could have literally sent that guy and 7 scrub tier morlocks and come away with a better victory.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The ten million dollar question:

Why wouldn't you use Hijack for this? You could have literally sent that guy and 7 scrub tier morlocks and come away with a better victory.
I hate the hell out of the Bendis kids but Hijack and Tempus alone probably could've pulled this off better. Even if they took Gold Balls too.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I hate the hell out of the Bendis kids but Hijack and Tempus alone probably could've pulled this off better. Even if they took Gold Balls too.

"I hate to alarm you, but our sensors detected a Shi'ar cruiser with a single unknown mutant aboard. Shortly afterwards, Sol's Anvil began piloting itself directly into the sun, along with the mother mold and every single sentinel drone. We tried to stop it, but none of our machinery works. Even the phones are dead."

"Why? How? Who could possibly be responsible for creating such a monstrosity?"

brian-michael-bendis.jpg

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm enjoying the Bendis stuff right now, needed more Xmen inbetween Wednesdays and Bachalo is always good. And I was unaware of Trinary, looks like shes from Xmen Red?

Suicide Sq... team? Id send Longshot, Goldballs, Tarot, Wildside, Manakin and Birdboy.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018

Sounds pretty Ultron-y. Well minus the father issues

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has to be that these aren't our X-Men and maybe these clones are just weaker. Hmm I'm wondering if sinister has something to do with these clones, he is the only one that hasn't been shown yet

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Has to be that these aren't our X-Men and maybe these clones are just weaker. Hmm I'm wondering if sinister has something to do with these clones, he is the only one that hasn't been shown yet

Apocalypse also hasn't been shown in life 10, but it appears that the Krakoa stuff was his idea in Life 9.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Pretender Wanda Maximoff....I remember when they tried to shift the blame for M-Day to poor ol Dr.Doom, that was some bullshit I'm glad is being ignored.

I'll never get over the scale of the Genosha Genocide and how up until now at least it hasn't really been regarded as the massive world changing event it should be.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Honestly I've read a few Xmen storys but this one has me very very intrigued, though very lost at the same time due to my lack of overall xmen knowledge.

A theory I have, a stupid one, is that Moira is the birthing pods we saw at the beginning of the House of X. She is interwoven with the tree and is essencially pulling X-Men from different times into this one. When they birth into this world their memory is wiped by Xaiver and reset to the current one.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I've read a few Xmen storys but this one has me very very intrigued, though very lost at the same time due to my lack of overall xmen knowledge.

A theory I have, a stupid one, is that Moira is the birthing pods we saw at the beginning of the House of X. She is interwoven with the tree and is essencially pulling X-Men from different times into this one. When they birth into this world their memory is wiped by Xaiver and reset to the current one.

Ohhhhhh I like this theory she is ressurecting them. This sounds so evil when thinking about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Sinister or Apoc figuring out a way to use her power to resurrect but not to pull from a different timeline, she's not a time traveler.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
This is a great X-Men story, Hickman delivered, but no way is it the 616. All the complaints about inconsistency scream to me that this isn't the 616. This is likely life 10 (and we still haven't seen life 6) which probably means the 616 we know is life 11.

Also to everyone saying that there are better mutants for the job. How do you know they are among the living 198 prior to the mission?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
This is a great X-Men story, Hickman delivered, but no way is it the 616. All the complaints about inconsistency scream to me that this isn't the 616. This is likely life 10 (and we still haven't seen life 6) which probably means the 616 we know is life 11.

Also to everyone saying that there are better mutants for the job. How do you know they are among the living 198 prior to the mission?

Well if the AvX scenerio happened, and we know it occurred in at least one other lifetime, then many mutants were restored in the wake.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Well if the AvX scenerio happened, and we know it occurred in at least one other lifetime, then many mutants were restored in the wake.

exactly which is why so many died in the 616 Terrigan mists. Plus the mutant population post Hope and AvX should be in the 1000's at least.

This reality having 198 mutants to implies a lot of post Decimation didn't occur here like it did in the 616. Also, the changes in powers, personalities, and certain people being alive who were dead just prior to this storyline.

With that said all the best X-Men storylines involve the team dying, multiple realities, and dark futures. I'm glad Hickman recognized that and leaned into the team strengths. Its been a long time since I felt anything during a X-men comic.

Oct 31, 2017
Wolverine went out like a boss. That's mah boy.

Nightcrawler. Damn.

Cyclops got executed like someone from The Walking Dead. Kinda.

Why was Mysitque not disguised? Easy for them to find her out and send her ass off to space.