• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
vFLcBRA_d.jpg

oEjTZ99_d.jpg

Also, what was up with Xavier looking like Cassandra Nova (safari/africa colonist hat) when he took Doug to Krakoa?

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I think that was entirely intentional and meant to invoke those scenes from Cassandra's debut.

Well... they are twins ;)

What demons did Apoc defeat long time ago? I know he fought off a Brood invasion, but that was different.

This was also I believe the first instance of Xavier telling someone "you'll forget until you need to remember". And no one batted an eye because we all knew that was the only device to keep the 616 intact, and it had to be coming in somewhere.

But pith helmet and shadows kept X's forehead obscured, so again, I gotta think there's a red diamond under there.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Interesting things happening in the Namor-focused Invaders comics.

Xavier mind shenenigans and Krakoa references. Don't think it can be a coincidence they wanna put this stuff here with Namor.

Well the Xavier stuff came much much earlier in the series. Turns out he found Namor long before the F4 and "fixed his amnesia" in the ways only early Xavier could. They then worked together to find mutants for a bit before it all went to shit and Xavier did a sloppy reset on Namor.

Basically Namor's modern penchant for constantly switching sides that make no sense is because of Xavier basically giving the memories of a dead war friend sentience in Namor's head as "therapy."

Said dead war friend memories has been taking him over every so often for years and is the reason for his current total heel turn.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Well the Xavier stuff came much much earlier in the series. Turns out he found Namor long before the F4 and "fixed his amnesia" in the ways only early Xavier could. They then worked together to find mutants for a bit before it all went to shit and Xavier did a sloppy reset on Namor.

Basically Namor's modern penchant for constantly switching sides that make no sense is because of Xavier basically giving the memories of a dead war friend sentience in Namor's head as "therapy."

Said dead war friend memories has been taking him over every so often for years and is the reason for his current total heel turn.
Because Xavier makes shit worse

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I am consistently in awe of how many new creative ways writers find to make Xavier an even more terrible person.

Edit: Basically what that tweet says, lol

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Well at least in this case it was literally Xavier's first attempt to find mutants. No Cerebro, just checking new stories around the country and trying to identify what might be a mutant.

Namor was also his first attempt at psychic therapy and he even states when he undoes it (mostly) that it was a mistake for him to try.

So it's not as bad as "I could have fixed Rogue the day I met her but wanted her to earn it" retcon.

This was just being well meaning but not talented enoughyet to achieve what he intended.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Juggernaut and Magneto have the right idea. If I was in the Marvel Universe, I'd start wearing an Anti-Xavier helmet all the time, too.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Whoa, did they just retcon Xavier as being the reason Sinister is obsessed with Mutant dna this whole time? He just doesn't remember it?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, did they just retcon Xavier as being the reason Sinister is obsessed with Mutant dna this whole time? He just doesn't remember it?
Well according to Sinister secret that Sinister was replaced before Xavier even knew and was playing the game for as long as Xavier

Also Sinister has been experimenting with mutants before Xavier and he didn't like the results

So maaaaaaybe

Though we don't know what exactly Xavier told Sinister to do

It's Sinister never trust him

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Also notice the wheelchair Chuck was using. It's the 90s floating one.

Meaning this might have been the change over being obsessed with the Summers line to just being in general obsessed.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure if this series is the perfect excuse for Xavier being the worst asshole of all (and still keep making him even worse) or it will shift all the blame to Moira in the end.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
okay so in addition to re-reading old cleremont shit, im trying to hit up old x-books i never really gave a proper chance...recommend me some runs for:

New Mutants - i know i gotta read the shit by Bill Sienkiewicz cause he's dope

Generation X - i read like the first arc or so, don't even think the Emplate stuff tied up. any highlights?

Exiles - do you drop this book when Winnick leaves or

Mutant X - never gave it a go

help me out y'all

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yuuuuuppp. It's in X-Men Legacy, not sure what issue it was. But he basically revealed thst and then cured her.

But since it's comics they had to undo it in Uncanny Avengers
I don't recall it very well, but I think the retcon was that Xavier said to Rogue he could cure her, when in fact he couldn't.
Later when he was shot by Bishop, and trying to make ammends with his broken promises, he catches up with Rogue, and uses the same process he had to use to recolect himself after Bishop and Exodus with her, and this ends with her being able to control her mutation.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Generation X - i read like the first arc or so, don't even think the Emplate stuff tied up. any highlights?

you basically got it - Gen X is a beautiful mess, and worth reading

NM - you gotta read 18-31 i think (bill's run)

Exiles - i only read the first few winnick trades, but they were very entertaining

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I don't recall it very well, but I think the retcon was that Xavier said to Rogue he could cure her, when in fact he couldn't.
Later when he was shot by Bishop, and trying to make ammends with his broken promises, he catches up with Rogue, and uses the same process he had to use to recolect himself after Bishop and Exodus with her, and this ends with her being able to control her mutation.

It has been a while. That may be how it was overall. I do remember the flashback where he did say to himself if he fixed her before she became an X-Man and changed her ways it would make a foe to powerful or some such thing.

Yo know what, Legacy is worth a reread anyways think I'll do that this weekend

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It has been a while. That may be how it was overall. I do remember the flashback where he did say to himself if he fixed her before she became an X-Man and changed her ways it would make a foe to powerful or some such thing.

Yo know what, Legacy is worth a reread anyways think I'll do that this weekend
Be my guest :)

I left those books at my dad's house when I married, so I could get a correction about this.
Mike Carey's X-Men books were fantastic.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So since Cypher seems to be involved pre-pod/sinister x-men, it's likely he's the same Cypher. But that was not the state Charles Soule left him after the return of Wolverine....

Mar 27, 2019
This last issue was a complete dud for me. As a rule I hate cutesy pie Deadpool-lite humor but the goofball Sinister clone felt completely atonal so far a series that's traded on gravity and import. Really hope this is just a one off and not a turning point in Hoxpox.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
This last issue was a complete dud for me. As a rule I hate cutesy pie Deadpool-lite humor but the goofball Sinister clone felt completely atonal so far a series that's traded on gravity and import. Really hope this is just a one off and not a turning point in Hoxpox.

... have you not read any of the parts with Nimrod the Lesser??

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hickman said he felt Gillen "cracked the egg" on Sinister and those issues are vital to feeling good about this version of the character

Gillen blended the camp and the dread - Hickman is leading with the camp, but that other shit is not far behind

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
okay so in addition to re-reading old cleremont shit, im trying to hit up old x-books i never really gave a proper chance...recommend me some runs for:

Mutant X - never gave it a go

help me out y'all
Honestly, vol.1 of New Mutants is only 100 issues, some really good arcs throughout its kind of worth just reading the whole thing. If you really want you can dump off around 87 when Liefeld takes over, most of that is a disjointed mess plus the X-Tinction Agenda crossover that wasn't very good, but at the same time it's not that many issues might as well wrap it all up.

But in general New Mutants was mostly good through the entire run.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm going to stick to the Hickman stuff even though he's overseeing all of it. X-men and New Mutants and then I'll just read summaries of the other series.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
NM - you gotta read 18-31 i think (bill's run)

I got these books delivered to me as they first came out. In paper bag sleeves, my first home subscription.

Huge nostalgia bias, but I still don't think I've seen better art. Its actual "art"!

And I'd stop when Blevins takes over. We already have a Warlock, Birdboy.

Oct 25, 2017
So this cover basically confirms Rachel is Wolverine's daughter huh? Hear me out, this is just the entire extended Summers/Grey family, so why is Wolverine there? He's Rachel's father obviously. Look at her pose, like her claws are ready to come out. There's a nice symmetry here where Cable and Rachel are "their kids" but only 1 parent is related to each biologically.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So this cover basically confirms Rachel is Wolverine's daughter huh? Hear me out, this is just the entire extended Summers/Grey family, so why is Wolverine there? He's Rachel's father obviously. Look at her pose, like her claws are ready to come out. There's a nice symmetry here where Cable and Rachel are "their kids" but only 1 parent is related to each biologically.

Why does she look like she's just been pasted in? She looks quite cartoonish compared to the others. Putting her next to Wolverine's lovingly-rendered striations is just weird.