• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Something wonderful in that preview issue.

Banshee is there looking alive and normal. None of that zombie bullshit. I always loved Banshee.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Read the preview pages. Fuck, my hype is at an all time high.

I'm absolutely loving this art. It's amazing. Both it and the coloring is so easy on the eyes.

I dunno what Nexus is. Sage and Cypher looks interesting. And I'm glad we know of Rasputin's name.

That preview issue is great. As someone trying to catch up, there's a lot I don't recognize. But as I've read the first few Grand Design it at least helped me recognize Krakoa. LOL
I've read Grand Design 1 as well, but I didn't recognize Krakoa. It looks like such a beautiful haven. Gonna go back to it.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm absolutely loving this art. It's amazing. Both it and the coloring is so easy on the eyes.

I dunno what Nexus is.

I've read Grand Design 1 as well, but I didn't recognize Krakoa. Gonna go back to it.
It might be in issue two. I've only read the first four so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Read the preview and I'm already beyond hyped, I can't freaking wait.

I dunno what Nexus is. Sage and Cypher looks interesting. And I'm glad we know of Rasputin's name.

I've read Grand Design 1 as well, but I didn't recognize Krakoa. It looks like such a beautiful haven. Gonna go back to it.
It's at the very end of the first book but they go more into it in the second one.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, can I go into this with no recent X-Men knowledge? I thought it was a total reboot/starting from scratch/scraping everything in the past type thing...

The only X-Men I know are the movies, animated series, and Marvel vs Capcom etc.

Y'all are talking spoilers about people being resurrected etc. I'm sure this new series will explain all that right?

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Krakoa is also where it all started, new X team rescuing the original X team. Loving it.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It might be in issue two. I've only read the first four so far.
Read the preview and I'm already beyond hyped, I can't freaking wait.

It's at the very end of the first book but they go more into it in the second one.
I can't find it, but don't bother with me. I'm gonna go through the pages tonight in Grand Design 1.

I got about 80 pages left of Eternals Vol. 2, and then I can jump hard into X-Men.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused, can I go into this with no recent X-Men knowledge? I thought it was a total reboot/starting from scratch/scraping everything in the past type thing...

The only X-Men I know are the movies, animated series, and Marvel vs Capcom etc.

Y'all are talking spoilers about people being resurrected etc. I'm sure this new series will explain all that right?
It's definitely not a total reboot. I think you should be fine though. You will recognize a bunch of characters and a bunch you won't. I read all of Hickman's previous FF/Avengers stuff without overall Marvel Comics knowledge beyond the movies and generally he would explain things that you need to know or catch you up. Though not always in the first issue so give it some time to sink in.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Who dies at the end of Rosenberg's run? Does he do a reset at the end or will Hickman just ignore this awful run?

Does anyone die offscreen, again?

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Who dies at the end of Rosenberg's run? Does he do a reset at the end or will Hickman just ignore this awful run?

Does anyone die offscreen, again?

To be honest I just gave up/. His run is so fucking bad. "Here's that old character you love! Oops! They're dead now! Hope shot Scott in the eye so now he's a real Cyclops! lol!!!"

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Marvel doesn't do that type of thing.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I just gave up/. His run is so fucking bad. "Here's that old character you love! Oops! They're dead now! Hope shot Scott in the eye so now he's a real Cyclops! lol!!!"
I checked spoilers on Tumblr and it seems:
1) Alex just... kinda explodes?
2) Madrox runs towards sentinels, then Cyclops says that Madrox is dead.

So yeah, someone died off-screen. AGAIN.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted? Saw it posted in the Comics OT.

"I think one of the big mistakes that some people make at Marvel Comics is that we are reactive to what they're doing in the Marvel films," Hickman says. "We should not be taking our creative cues from the direction they're taking things in the movies. That kind of defeats the point. They have a billion dollars to play with, and we don't. You can't compete in that matter, and you shouldn't. My argument has been [that] I should always be way out in front of that stuff. All of that stuff is being drawn from source material. It goes back to, are you being destructive or are you being additive? If you're being additive and you're on the big books, it's inevitable that some of that stuff is going to get used. When Marvel films gets around to the X-Men and we've done interesting stuff and they want to use it, that's awesome. If they don't, then they don't. One makes your job expendable, the other one makes you priceless. I like having value to my work."

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
eZDesiZ.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
jon bones (or anyone else in this thread really) I hope you don't mind helping me out a bit, I'm incredibly grateful toward you for it though. So I bought quite a few X-books today, and I tried placing them in the reading order, and would just make sure this is the correct way to go through it?

Do one read through the Demon Bear Saga before Curse of the Valkyries? Or is it the other way around? Both came out in 1981 I think.
I also reckon one can read Old/Dead Man Logan whenever (it's my impression it's quite standalone) but I'll just place it at the end.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
interesting. It feels like a reboot or alternate universe where the last couple years didn't happen. Unless enough time has passed since the current runs that things settled.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I haven't read Uncanny and Age of X-Man... so spoil me.
How does this end?
everybody comes back from Age of X-Man, but Magneto has some agreements with X-Man that probably will be explored in Hickman's runs in ways that will render this entire saga useless. Also, nobody dies and nothing mattered - but the storyline was quite good (I'm talking about the Alpha/Omega one shots and the Marvelous X-Men mini) It's good to read some mutant books without everything ending in a dumb fight

That was some crazy plot....lots of mutants died, like new mutants (rahne and sunspot), chamber and some villains (dark beast, joseph). I guess the most impactful things character-wise were Havok's apparent death and Illyana losing her powers and giving away to her demonic form. Juggernaut was also affected, as the Cyttorak was destroyed. Also there was a Cyclops / Jean kiss in the end, with poker faces by Emma and Logan; and the human/government sponsored enemy was defeated in the finale. In the end , there was a plot with Emma wiping (or hiding) the mutants presence from the world, but that was undone and Cyclops kinda stepped up with a "we are at war with humankind" speech in the end again. I enjoyed Rosemberg's run (and I've never enjoyed his books), even if it felt too fanmade-y and I always turned the page expecting that all would be revealed as a dream.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
This confirms it is Moira. Some people were thinking that was a different character. Also confirms that version of Havok is the X-Baby version, not main Havok de-aged or anything like that.
Wait, I'm shocked. As a child I was watching 'Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.' I remember those three - Spider-Man, Iceman and Firestar - were my favorites primarily cause of their colors, but I never knew Firestar was an actual mutant. Nostalgia's coming up in me.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Wait, I'm shocked. As a child I was watching 'Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.' I remember those three - Spider-Man, Iceman and Firestar - were my favorites primarily cause of their colors, but I never knew Firestar was an actual mutant. Nostalgia's coming up in me.

There was an episode of SMaHAF where they go back to the X-Mansion and visit Professor X and the other X-men. The episode makes her being a mutant a key plot point.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah she joined the team a few years ago and then was never heard from again.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not a total reboot. I think you should be fine though. You will recognize a bunch of characters and a bunch you won't. I read all of Hickman's previous FF/Avengers stuff without overall Marvel Comics knowledge beyond the movies and generally he would explain things that you need to know or catch you up. Though not always in the first issue so give it some time to sink in.
Cool, just got through the preview issues (super short!) but got the gist of House of X. Powers of X totally went over my head, but I'm sure more will be explained
LOL I just saw that snipped of an episode and thought it was a bootleg Phoenix

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
everybody comes back from Age of X-Man, but Magneto has some agreements with X-Man that probably will be explored in Hickman's runs in ways that will render this entire saga useless. Also, nobody dies and nothing mattered - but the storyline was quite good (I'm talking about the Alpha/Omega one shots and the Marvelous X-Men mini) It's good to read some mutant books without everything ending in a dumb fight

That was some crazy plot....lots of mutants died, like new mutants (rahne and sunspot), chamber and some villains (dark beast, joseph). I guess the most impactful things character-wise were Havok's apparent death and Illyana losing her powers and giving away to her demonic form. Juggernaut was also affected, as the Cyttorak was destroyed. Also there was a Cyclops / Jean kiss in the end, with poker faces by Emma and Logan; and the human/government sponsored enemy was defeated in the finale. In the end , there was a plot with Emma wiping (or hiding) the mutants presence from the world, but that was undone and Cyclops kinda stepped up with a "we are at war with humankind" speech in the end again. I enjoyed Rosemberg's run (and I've never enjoyed his books), even if it felt too fanmade-y and I always turned the page expecting that all would be revealed as a dream.
tenor.gif

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
jon bones (or anyone else in this thread really) I hope you don't mind helping me out a bit, I'm incredibly grateful toward you for it though. So I bought quite a few X-books today, and I tried placing them in the reading order, and would just make sure this is the correct way to go through it?

Do one read through the Demon Bear Saga before Curse of the Valkyries? Or is it the other way around? Both came out in 1981 I think.
I also reckon one can read Old/Dead Man Logan whenever (it's my impression it's quite standalone) but I'll just place it at the end.

Your order should be:

X-Men Grand Design 1 & 2 (Ed Piskor)

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Chris Claremont)
New Mutants: Demon Bear (Chris Claremont)

New Mutants: Epic Collection: Curse of the Valkyries(Chris Claremont)

New X-Men Vol. 1-7 (Grant Morrison)

House of M (Brian Michael Bendis)

X-Men: Marauders (Mike Carey)

~MESSIAH COMPLEX / XFORCE 1-13/MESSIAH WAR/XFORCE 20-25/SECOND COMING GOES HERE~

New Mutants: The Complete Collection (Zeb Wells)

~REST OF MIKE CAREYS XMEN LEGACY GOES HERE~

Uncanny X-Men: The Complete Collection Vol. 1(Kieron Gillen)

Uncanny X-Force Vol. 3-7 (Rick Remender

Last edited:

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
And to the surprise of absolutely no one, Rosenberg's last issue was another disaster.

My excitement for Hickman could not be higher.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Man was uncanny bad.
Did Danni moonstar really just say that none of them were really dead and they would be back. Essentially making this entire run mean nothing.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Krakoa is also where it all started, new X team rescuing the original X team. Loving it.

It is however not the same Krakoa. That is one of the grown seeds of Krakoa that was abused by the Kiddie Hellfire Club and then Joined the X-men and basically became the school grounds to the Jean Grey Institute (built on the ruins of the Xavier Institute)

Which is what is great about Hickman. He doesn't reboot, he adapts the past so it's accessible again without invalidating the years of stories before it.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Man was uncanny bad.
Did Danni moonstar really just say that none of them were really dead and they would be back. Essentially making this entire run mean nothing.
That's.not quite what she said. I read this much more as a comment on the fact that nobody dies on comics (or that she'll meet everyone in Heaven --this is the Marvel universe and God has already been met by Reed Richards...I guess eternal life IS a sure thing here)

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
kids. that was the missing element from avengers/new avengers. that's where the heart is.
I'm a heartless bastard, as I didn't like basically any of the stuff with the kids in the FF. Not that it was poorly done. But I don't care. Reading Hickman's run made realize that I also don't care about Johnny Storm or Ben. It's Clobbe...fuck off.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm a heartless bastard, as I didn't like basically any of the stuff with the kids in the FF. Not that it was poorly done. But I don't care. Reading Hickman's run made realize that I also don't care about Johnny Storm or Ben. It's Clobbe...fuck off.

You are a monster. The wordless issue when he's getting out all his grief in a fist fight and then just collapses... what's wrong with you man

There was just something so fucking weird and dream like about this. I liked it but I don't trust it.

It's Charles. Something is off about him and his expression and the fact that Cerebra that covers his eyes.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are a monster. The wordless issue when he's getting out all his grief in a fist fight and then just collapses... what's wrong with you man
It's good, and I liked what they did with the return of Johnny. But beyond a few serious moments they seemed to be kept as light fun throwback characters and I need my EDGE. /s
EVERYTHING DIES

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

It's Charles. Something is off about him and his expression and the fact that Cerebra that covers his eyes.

Charles is absolutely not to be trusted. He's been weird since he took over Fantomex.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think Hickman's going to be doing his own thing with Xavier rather than pick up on Soule's dropped plot line. Just him being called Xavier again rather than X is a pretty big indication of that.