• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I wonder if that EW interview was subtweeting Rosenberg.

Saying people who don't put "the toys back ok the shelf" are assholes and his idea for a good run is "additive, not destructive."

I got the sense that Rosenberg was hired on knowing he was giving way to Hickman. I mean, at least on his Twitter, he's been super duper supportive and repping Hickman at every turn, enthusiastically saying how excited he is. Also, I feel like the X-Men editorial team would probably be in charge reigning in all the senseless, weightless, and sometimes completely tone deaf and offensive deaths that Rosenberg was throwing out all willie-nilly if those characters were needed in a significant way.

Also, regarding destructive storylines, something like house of M was completely destructive in dwindling mutantkind, or even new x-men exploding genosha, but the status quo benefitted by putting our protagonists in testing situations. The Rosenberg uncanny run was as generic edge lord as you can be.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Jean severed the connection between herself and the Phoenix...and now she's free to push the upper limits of her power without fear of the Phoenix taking over. It wasn't shown to pass on to anyone else as of yet

I'd rather Jean just be her own woman for the time being. X-Men Red was great for that, no messy romantic entanglements, no playing second fiddle to Xavier
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I liked her being the Phoenix, at least when it was done well. But she did really well in Red without it.

And yea I like her being on her own, but you just know they aren't going to leave her like that for long lol. She was already hooking up with Bishop in Age of X-Man.

I just feel like they've really screwed up Cyclops and Jean's relationship so much over the years that it would take a ton of work for them being together again to feel right.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
xmen64ke8.png

luca

Oct 25, 2017
~MESSIAH COMPLEX / XFORCE 1-13/MESSIAH WAR/XFORCE 20-25/SECOND COMING GOES HERE~
~REST OF MIKE CAREYS XMEN LEGACY GOES HERE~
I guess these are these right?

X-Men: Messiah Complex
X-Force
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
X-Men: Second Coming / Revelations
X-Men: Legacy

The X-Men: Legacy books are all over the place. Dunno if I should read them in the chronology they are shown as on Comixology, or go with the earliest issue and follow it straight.

I finally finished Jack Kirby's Eternals btw, so now I can make a deep dive into everything X-Men!

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The X-Men: Legacy books are all over the place. Dunno if I should read them in the chronology they are shown as on Comixology, or go with the earliest issue and follow it straight.
Yea the tpbs on CMX are super weird. Try to follow the issue numbers, not the order of the trades, just in case they arent in order.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I guess these are these right?

X-Men: Messiah Complex
X-Force
X-Men: Second Coming / Revelations
X-Men: Legacy

I finally finished Jack Kirby's Eternals btw, so now I can make a deep dive into everything X-Men!

Legacy TPBs will be hard to coordinate issue by issue, but it is worth it.

You can lose Revelations. Replace it with Necrosha X trade.

X-Men: Marauders (start of Carey's run)

Messiah Complex

Then X-Force trade 1, 2 and the first 2 issues of book 3 (issues 12 & 13 i think)

X-Men: Legacy 208-230

Then the rest of X-Force trade 3

Then Necrosha X trade

Then Second Coming

X-Men Legacy 238-260

Then Gillen's Uncanny

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the tpbs on CMX are super weird. Try to follow the issue numbers, not the order of the trades, just in case they arent in order.
Legacy TPBs will be hard to coordinate issue by issue, but it is worth it.

You can lose Revelations. Replace it with Necrosha X trade.

X-Men: Marauders (start of Carey's run)

Messiah Complex

Then X-Force trade 1, 2 and the first 2 issues of book 3 (issues 12 & 13 i think)

X-Men: Legacy 208-230

Then the rest of X-Force trade 3

Then Necrosha X trade

Then Second Coming

X-Men Legacy 238-260

Then Gillen's Uncanny
Alright, now I know to read the issues in the release order, and the messed order Comixology did. Thanks a bunch for all of this help, and I can't wait to dive deep into the history of the X-Men! So excited.

So there's gonna be 6 books out of the HoX/PoX event they'll announce at the Next Big Thing panel on Saturday.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty impressive we still don't have leaks for this, even considering the NDAs. Wouldn't be surprised if BC posts something next week though.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Read the preview! 12 weeks of Larraz' and Silva's art... This must be what heaven feels like. Anyways, didn't realize until just a few minutes ago that one of Powers of X solicits mentions "the X-Men's future." I feel a little dumb now speculating all this time whether this was a future story or some alternate timeline, a secret dimension, etc. It was obvious but it's cool to get a confirmation that the Soulsword-wielding new character is a Rasputin.

So what's up with "Graymalkin Institute?" The last I recall, the school was... actually, I don't even remember anymore. It was X-Haven? In Limbo, yeah. Is this a new thing or was this introduced in some of the recent books? Guessing Doug's new techno-organic arm is new, as well as this Krakoan network mentioned?

It's gonna take me a long time to get used to Professor X's new look. He looks suspicious as fuck. Also, I need to say again how disappointed I am to see Jean back in this costume. Her Red suit was so good.

Really cool to learn that Pepe Larraz was inspired by both Joe Mad and Stuart Immonen! Especially Stuart Immonen. He's one of my absolute favorite artists, easily among my top 5, probably. Not that I know who the other four would be, lol.

---

Trying to brush up on some of the recommended reading suggested in the thread via Comixology Unlimited free trial. Really enjoyed the first two volumes of Zeb Wells' New Mutants! Love Dani and Illyana. Doug is really cool. His power reminded me of Eye-Boy from Aaron's run, particularly his badass future self.

Luckily, Inferno is part of Unlimited's selection. I think this is gonna be one of, if not the oldest comic book story I've read. Pretty excited for it.

Ooh, and I also got to read the first volume of X-Men Red! Absolutely loved it. Finding out Namor was part of the team was a very pleasant surprise. Gonna sub to Marvel Unlimited next month maybe, so I can read volume 2 plus a whole bunch of other Marvel books I've been wanting to read.
giphy.gif

Yasmine Putri's art, man... Every time. She just kills it.

Speaking of variants, my LCS only allows pre-orders a few days before NCBD, so now I'm having a hard time picking between the covers available for House of X #1. Hmm... I'm tempted to get the Mark Brooks connecting cover, but I think I might just go for the regular because Pepe Larraz.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh, I figured out the Krakoa mention, it was on the second page of Grand Design 2. Was supposed to have a widespread mutant civilization, but didn't.

kazamatsuri

Behind the Scenes at Epic
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I'm going to the panel tomorrow and am so hyped for it. I'm sure it's going to spoil some stuff, but I'm too excited to not go. I got him to sign some stuff yesterday and told him how excited I was for his take on the X-Men and he said "yeah, they're letting me kinda do whatever I want. We're not going to be pulling any punches." SO HYPE

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't put Dani on New Mutants. She should be a full fledged X-Man by this point.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't put Dani on New Mutants. She should be a full fledged X-Man by this point.
Hasn't Hickman confirmed Sam and Roberto weren't in this? If so, I want Dani in NM, if only because we're going to need actual New Mutants.

These are probably the most exciting titles this list could have been made of tbh.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I really like that picture, almost need it as a poster!

Can't wait to know more about what will happen to the X-Men, specially Psylocke, Rogue and Gambit.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
jon bones
I've been reading through your recommended list posted earlier and really enjoyed the two Cyclops and Phoenix miniseries. Thanks for this list.

One question for you or anyone....can I just read the House of M main books or should I read all the connected stuff. It's so complicated I want to be sure before I bother.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if there's going to be a stream for the Next Big Thing panel today?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
jon bones
I've been reading through your recommended list posted earlier and really enjoyed the two Cyclops and Phoenix miniseries. Thanks for this list.

One question for you or anyone....can I just read the House of M main books or should I read all the connected stuff. It's so complicated I want to be sure before I bother.

Really glad you found it helpful!

You can read the event itself or honestly just read a summary of it online. No need for the extra stuff, and the event itself is not necessary - you only really need to know that a big blowout happened
and Wanda erased the X-Gene out of all but a couple hundred mutants at the end.

What happens afterwards is the really interesting part - books like X-Factor show how the world of mutants is handling it and the Messiah Saga builds on top of that.

Does anyone know if there's going to be a stream for the Next Big Thing panel today?

Sadly, I don't think so.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished up my IDW Transformers 2005 series run and am diving into the list jon bones put together. I don't love the look of grand design but it's reading super well compared to how I remember those early runs being the densest material ever.