• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As literally noted in the OP, the fact that he refused to move.
But as soon as the person trying to shut the interview down started talking the publicist stepped in and he was simply standing around and watching the conversation that took place.

I'm not saying he wasn't supportive or anything but this entire thread being framed to praise one person who didn't actually do anything other than stand around whilst two other people debated and then said he was staying just seems to be putting extra focus on it then it actually deserves.

Again I'm not saying he wasn't supportive but this being used as an example of some amazing ally moment seems pretty overblown, at least in terms of Majors when it's the publicist that was actually arguing for the interview to continue.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
For future use.

Ra

6LsLC9x.gif

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern trolling and metacommentary
People here being embarrassing as usual

1) the guy was probably some low level guy just doing his job. Could he have handled it better? Yes for sure. Was he being grossly impolite? No.

2) very classy with the name calling like 'dick nose' . If some of you bothered to observe, he pulled up his mask to cover his nose before talking to Majors. It slid down as he was talking. It's an Ill fitted mask - but again, the usual overreaction and pitchfork waving is out in full force

Big Props to Majors and his publicist for stepping in, but the vitriol being thrown at the admin guy is just embarassing

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling; History of Dismissive Commentary around Race
Don't know if putting a random festival worker on blast openly like this for likely doing what he is being told by his superior is, uh, a great idea?

Why not just thank the actor/publicist, or at least protect the privacy of the festival representative in any way by blurring his face for example? You absolutely know the dude is going to be harassed to no end for this and that reddit is about 2 minutes away from identifying him and his home address. Maybe you can even see his name in his laynard?

That's fucked up.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Am I missing something here? What is there to indicate that this journalist was being moved because they was black or queer? To me (based on just that video) seems like the guy was just moving things along because that was their job (and even said they could finish it backstage or something).

Even the thread title saying "after event staff tried to force him to move on" is overplaying what just looks as though this guy would have been moving anybody on at this stage. He definitely isn't forcing anyone, he's just saying "guys you gotta move" which is what you'd expect if they were trying to clear the area.

...this seems overblown/unnecessary framing of the situation as aggressive/combative/targeted. Props to Majors for handling it well regardless.

Yeah, this seems like a slow news day kinda story.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Am I missing something here? What is there to indicate that this journalist was being moved because they was black or queer? To me (based on just that video) seems like the guy was just moving things along because that was their job (and even said they could finish it backstage or something).

Even the thread title saying "after event staff tried to force him to move on" is overplaying what just looks as though this guy would have been moving anybody on at this stage. He definitely isn't forcing anyone, he's just saying "guys you gotta move" which is what you'd expect if they were trying to clear the area.

...this seems overblown/unnecessary framing of the situation as aggressive/combative/targeted. Props to Majors for handling it well regardless.
This exactly. I have no idea why is this even a thread.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
he has a walkie talkie so i'm guessing he was probably told to do that by his higher ups
Definitely. I doubt there was anyone who made this decision that was within several hundred feet of the interaction. And was posted earlier, apparently a lot of issues leading to delays

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

This exactly. I have no idea why is this even a thread.

Ehh, the OP didn't say it was specifically because he was black/queer, he said stood up FOR a Black Queer person. In the article:

"When I posted it, my mindset was about the positive in the video because it's rare that you get that kind of advocacy as a Black journalist, but especially in entertainment reporting and on red carpets. Jonathan and his publicist were very kind to ensure I got at least one question answered," Cottingham continued.

Still, Cottingham noted their frustration with the situation. " I really enjoy my craft; it's all I've ever dreamed of doing, and I wish I could do my job without encounters like this. Because at the end of the day, even when it's not overt, my Blackness and queerness and how I show up in the world sadly affect what access and how I'm treated while simply trying to do my job," they wrote in their statement.

Generally black journo's get treated like shit on these because the idea is that a black journo is not from a 'real' media source. It's been a long standing issue. It's why they felt touched, even if it was him like 'This guy wants to talk so you guys figure it out'. Most stars would just walk by like the journo didn't exist.

www.indiewire.com

Reporting From ‘the Rosa Parks Section’ on the Red Carpet: Black Entertainment Journalists Have Had Enough

From the red carpet to press junkets, Black Entertainment journalists still face inequality and disparity when gaining access to Hollywood.

It's to the point when shit like this happens, some black outlets point it out because it's a rarity. That's how fucking bad it is out there:

www.vibe.com

Halle Berry Receives Praise For Refusing To Skip Black Journalists On Red Carpet

Halle Berry is received a round of applause for refusing to skip a pair of black journalists on the red carpet of John Wick 3.

test.shadowandact.com

Cynthia Erivo Commended For Insisting To Stop For Black Journalist On Oscars Red Carpet - Shadow and Act

Harriet star Cynthia Erivo showed solidarity with Black journalists on the Oscars red carpet when she stopped to speak to veteran journalist Lola Ogunnaike. Ogunnaike posted the video of Erivo coming to speak with her on Instagram with the caption, “@cynthiaerivo looking like an absolute vision...

Era is a funny place because no matter how progressive it is, dudes still think it's rainbows for minorities moving through the white world like an ABC sitcom instead of a maddeningly continuous line of fucked microagressions. I don't blame the dude, but they intentionally place 'less important' journos at the end of the line because they aren't seen as important and that journo has probably been passed for 'time' more than once. So yea, it should be a nothing burger but, alas we live in America where even a red carpet enforces the racial hierarchy it loves. Its a problem.

Last edited:

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Majors is awesome, but yea im with the people saying dont be too hard on that staff member. He was likely just following orders.

Also it really just looks like Majors was just looking at his lanyard rather than sizing the dude up.

gholas

Nov 13, 2020
I feel like some people are giving the guy too much of a hard time for the way he wears his mask. I don't agree with the "I'd rather he don't wear one/respect him more if he didn't wear one at all than if he wore it wrong" takes. After years of wearing a mask at this point, I personally know there are moments where I just have to shift it down to some degree for some reason or another, and I know others in real life do the same too. It's not like we don't want to wear one and are forced to wear it reluctantly and/or are trying to wear it in the dumbest ways possible; It's possible we just caught the guy at a bad timing.

Nah if I see someone wearing their mask like this I just assume they are an idiot. Shifting it down briefly is one thing but you might as well take it off if you keep it like this for any length of time because it ain't doing shit for you or anybody else.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Era is a funny place because no matter how progressive it is, dudes still think it's rainbows for minorities moving through the white world like an ABC sitcom instead of a maddeningly continuous line of fucked microagressions. I don't blame the dude, but they intentionally place 'less important' journos at the end of the line because they aren't seen as important and that journo has probably been passed for 'time' more than once. So yea, it should be a nothing burger but, alas we live in America where even a red carpet enforces the racial hierarchy it loves. Its a problem.

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Thank you

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Majors is such a cool dude, him not moving along IS standing up for this person (unsure* why that's hard to see).

Partially off-topic but Id love to see Majors play Bond, he could absolutely play 007 in so many ways and any one would be stellar.

*ok not THAT unsure why…

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
Employees like that are generally not paid enough to care, are just trying to keep the event moving, and aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the room, but he still should have just let the interview go...like...as the interviewer suggested, it probably would have taken less time to just ask and answer the question than to cause a stink like that.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, the OP didn't say it was specifically because he was black/queer, he said stood up FOR a Black Queer person. In the article:

Generally black journo's get treated like shit on these because the idea is that a black journo is not from a 'real' media source. It's been a long standing issue. It's why they felt touched, even if it was him like 'This guy wants to talk so you guys figure it out'. Most stars would just walk by like the journo didn't exist.

www.indiewire.com

Reporting From ‘the Rosa Parks Section’ on the Red Carpet: Black Entertainment Journalists Have Had Enough

From the red carpet to press junkets, Black Entertainment journalists still face inequality and disparity when gaining access to Hollywood.

It's to the point when shit like this happens, some black outlets point it out because it's a rarity. That's how fucking bad it is out there:

www.vibe.com

Halle Berry Receives Praise For Refusing To Skip Black Journalists On Red Carpet

Halle Berry is received a round of applause for refusing to skip a pair of black journalists on the red carpet of John Wick 3.

test.shadowandact.com

Cynthia Erivo Commended For Insisting To Stop For Black Journalist On Oscars Red Carpet - Shadow and Act

Harriet star Cynthia Erivo showed solidarity with Black journalists on the Oscars red carpet when she stopped to speak to veteran journalist Lola Ogunnaike. Ogunnaike posted the video of Erivo coming to speak with her on Instagram with the caption, “@cynthiaerivo looking like an absolute vision...

Thank you

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

www.indiewire.com

www.vibe.com

test.shadowandact.com

yep

if you "dont know why this is a thread" then maybe don't bother commenting about it

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
People talking about he needed them to move like a volcano was about to erupt in the exact location in which they were standing.

There was literally no need to bother the three square feet they occupied, until they finished a quick Q&A.

The worker isn't absolved by having higher ups, because those same faceless people never would've known that he respectfully gave them 30 seconds to finish up.

My man killed him with that look.

People saying he was just checking the lanyard don't recognize the energy.

Last edited: