• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I only love the parody if his old shitty marketing videos. He always seemed like a pretentious individual and that's relative to Apple right now, and that says a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to believe that Ive's return to day to day control will give us a redesign that is something far better than:
ios11designchanges-800x524.jpg

That's been spreading over the last few iterations.... but after seeing his guest cover for Wallpaper Magazine...
1*MungTbZDZ9ylUtsJ0muyVQ.jpeg

...I'm not gonna hold too much hope.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Those are even worse compared to apple. After 2 minutes, a flagship Snapdragon 835 phone like Note 8 (same price as iPhone X) has less than half of the performance.

It will be even worse next year.

I understand your excuses;
-who cares about browser performance : mine is fast enough
-who cares about 3d performance: i don't play games
-who cares about memory speeds: i don't mind waiting a few seconds
-who cares about video editing: who needs video editing lol
-who cares about AR or VR: those are gimmicks lol
-who cares about computer assisted photography: use a real camera

If processing power doesn't matter in real scenarios, then you could use the 4+ year old iPhone 5S or something :-)
There a great video by Android Authority explaining why Apple are so far ahead in term of processing power, and it boils down to Apple jumping on a 64 bit architecture much sooner than everybody else. That gave them a head start in CPU architecture, but also in term of developing software. Their silicon dies are the biggest in the industry as well, so it makes sense on a $800 to be able to put something like that in a phone, but that's not very feasible on android. But like PCs, phones have hit a diminishing returns in term of appreciable differences when it comes to speed in UI and other none demanding tasks. While it's nice to have the extra performance with iPhone, it's not necessary to be able to have an enjoyable experience. Also processing speed is only one factor of several equally important factors in someone's experience with a phone or a device. Your point with just using the iPhone 5s is moot because of that.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When people say he was gone, probably still very responsible for the what comes down the pipeline, two years isn't that long and he did make the iPhone 6 which I think was one of the early warning signs that Apple was losing it. The MacBook Pro is so bad.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean even if Ive wasnt managing the design team, Im sure he would still have some say in the design choices of the products?
If he found them bad for any reason Im under the impression he wouldve just advocated against it to begin with.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Touch ID is dead.... under screen fingerprint reader will be called something different.

Apple's product line is a mess in many ways right now, and quite a few of the issues would be straightforward to fix. I'm amazed at the design issues their products are coming out with at the moment, despite both the iPhone X and the iPad Pro showing that they are moving back to being leading adoption of new tech. Hopefully getting the A team back on their core products full time will ensure the new tech also meets their previously high standards of usability and aesthetic appeal.

Next up, revisit the strategy for professional products - the Mac/book Pro shit isn't acceptable.

That is a super good point that I hadn't considered, they could totally rebrand TouchID as something else when they move it behind the screen.

How long after Ives' return d'you think we'll see the effects? Surely not as soon as the 2018 iPhones? I'm on a 6 right now and I can't afford anything new but I'm just wondering how long I might have to save up (assuming he actually fixes anything)

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
Headphones is a functional issue. Notch is aesthetics and design. Almost all folks including reviewers like the notch. It's not even noticeable once you have your hands on the phone
uh its not aesthetics, its there because it has to be. They is a lot of technology packed into that area. They'll probably shrink it considerably in the next 2 iteration.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uh its not aesthetics, its there because it has to be. They is a lot of technology packed into that area. They'll probably shrink it considerably in the next 2 iteration.

The design is there whereby they could have pushed the notch from edge to edge while making the phone taller by same mm as the notch height but the design element was purposeful to have the display date like time and battery on the outer edges while the focal display under it

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I have said for a couple of years that Apple needs to complete the new HQ so that its best designers can get back to making great products. It's been evident the big guns have spent much more time on door handles and world's biggest curved glass windows than consumer products.

Shit like this is silly. Ever think that Apple wants to make its designers happy, so they don't leave? There were rumours Jony wanted to step back from Apple, until he had the opportunity to design the new campus and store experience. These talented people still want new opportunities and experiences, not constantly iterating the same thing over and over. The design of Apple products have not taken a drastic turn down and I am sure Jony still had a large say in everything that has come out the past 2 years. He may just not have been there everyday.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
That mouse with the charging port on the bottom is one of the worst goddamn designs in history. I hate it so much.

I love it for the discussions. If you can't admit that the mouse having a charging port on the bottom is one of the most unwieldy, baffling and ugly ass design decisions in years then I can basically write you off as an evangelist that refuses to see wrong in anything the company does. That's just asinine, and had literally any other company designed it we would all be allowed to laugh heartily without anyone getting uptight about it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I love it for the discussions. If you can't admit that the mouse having a charging port on the bottom is one of the most unwieldy, baffling and ugly ass design decisions in years then I can basically write you off as an evangelist that refuses to see wrong in anything the company does. That's just asinine, and had literally any other company designed it we would all be allowed to laugh heartily without anyone getting uptight about it.

This is kind of how many view the notch design too.