• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
People acting like he does not have the right to make that request
People acting like he's M. Night Shyamalan levels of quality just because Us wasn't the Second Coming of Christ.

Minorities working twice as hard for half as much. This shit is wack.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I seriously don't get it. What's the difference? People are dressing as the characters because they liked the movie or like the costume or found the movie creepy. They're celebrating the movie, they're not taking these photos to send a message or something.

giphy.gif

A. He never said he doesn't want people dressing up as the characters.

B. He was not involved in the creative process of Jason or Krueger so therefore he does not have the same trauma from those characters as he does from the stalkers.

C. He does not care if people dress up as the characters, he just doesn't want people sending him pictures of it.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie made a lot of money and has fans. If that's what he believes then he's got evidence to back it up.
Doesn't mean it's not pretentious.

If it creeps him out, I get it. That's fair. But he also seems to be making assumptions that people are getting into the "mindset" and "impersonating the stalkers". Not the greatest way to characterize your fans.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
Huh? I seriously don't get it. What's the difference? People are dressing as the characters because they liked the movie or like the costume or found the movie creepy. They're celebrating the movie, they're not taking these photos to send a message or something.
They're literally sending the photos in a message to him on Twitter. He's not interested in seeing them for whatever reason so he politely requested that they stop sending them.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Iconic? The movie was bad. It sounds like he wants people to remember the movie exists before Halloween and to make the characters sound deeper than they were.

Also my friends still hate me for making them watch this movie at the theater so I kind of hate it more because of that.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
giphy.gif

A. He never said he doesn't want people dressing up as the characters.

B. He was not involved in the creative process of Jason or Krueger so therefore he does not have the same trauma from those characters as he does from the stalkers.

C. He does not care if people dress up as the characters, he just doesn't want people sending him pictures of it.

I was responding to the poster implying idea that it comes across as threatening because the characters are stalkers. Nobody was sending him these photos to be a stalker or send a message, they were doing it to celebrate his movie, much like Kane Hodder taking photos with people dressed as Jason or englund with Krueger (they absolutely are involved in the creative process).

He has every right not to like it, but again the idea that it comes off as threatening is silly. Also it's not like people are texting him these photos or showing up at his doorstep.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand why that comment got you so riled up. lol

Can you point to my riled emotion? I'm confused why calling out silly comments needs one to be riled. You, and others, just post some dumb stuff. That's all.

I notice some folk like to act like the other person is so emotional when called out with even when periods and regular words are used.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Dude politely asked not to send him pics of folks dressing up as his characters from the movie, not to forbid folks from dressing up or blaming said folks by sullying his movie.

Man this thread. Some of y'all need to step away from the computer for a bit.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't mean it's not pretentious.

If it creeps him out, I get it. That's fair. But he also seems to be making assumptions that people are getting into the "mindset" and "impersonating the stalkers". Not the greatest way to characterize your fans.
I took it as him saying not to get too into character. If it scares him then it might scare someone else. I don't think he thinks less of his fans.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was responding to the poster implying idea that it comes across as threatening because the characters are stalkers. Nobody was sending him these photos to be a stalker or send a message, they were doing it to celebrate his movie, much like Kane Hodder taking photos with people dressed as Jason or englund with Krueger (they absolutely are involved in the creative process).

He has every right not to like it, but again the idea that it comes off as threatening is silly. Also it's not like people are texting him these photos or showing up at his doorstep.
bruh... you still not getting it and this is tiring

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dude politely asked not to send him pics of folks dressing up as his characters from the movie, not to forbid folks from dressing up or blaming said folks by sullying his movie.

Man this thread. Some of y'all need to step away from the computer for a bit.
Pretty much what I was about to type up. The man says the character is terrifying and not something he wants messaged to him from every person dressing like this for Halloween. I don't get how this request makes him a dick.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I could be massively off-base but it sometimes seems to me that Jordan Peele comes off as a huge dick when his statements are transcribed, but in audio and/or video the intent of said statements is evident and inoffensive. I imagine that the tone of his comments here are similar.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Well it didn't make enough of a marketing push if I didn't know about it. And dont worry, I definitely don't live on ERA.

Yeah I didn't know what the hell he's talking about either because at first I thought he had some new movie called tethered or something lmao. But after googling he's talking about the movie "Us" which was fantastic IMO. I just don't remember anyone being referred to as the "tethered" but then again my personal life is filled to the brim with shittiness and my memory is fading.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
Iconic? The movie was bad. It sounds like he wants people to remember the movie exists before Halloween and to make the characters sound deeper than they were.

Also my friends still hate me for making them watch this movie at the theater so I kind of hate it more because of that.

For fucks sake its iconic to the people that made this a fucking juggernut at the box office calm your ass down, you were really just waiting for a poorly stated statement to just go at it huh?

This isnt even what the threads about, his characters are popular costume ideas for halloween idk why your going so hard on the man for god damn.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I just don't get why people are making such a big deal about him using the word iconic when he's expressing gratitude that the film resonated with enough people in such a way that they would dress up as the stalkers. He's calling it iconic in response to that, same with calling it a phenomenon.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I get it perfectly fine. He doesn't want the photos. Again the person posting "sending a picture of you as a stalker to someone is scary" is off base here. It's a Halloween costume.
So he is in the wrong to not want people to send him pictures? What? You're saying we shouldn't respect his request? You've lost me.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
So he is in the wrong to not want people to send him pictures? What? You're saying we shouldn't respect his request? You've lost me.

No I've said from the beginning he has a right to make that request. I'm saying the poster I quoted saying "you don't find that creepy" that they're dressing as stalkers and that makes them come across as stalkers, no I don't see it that way. I think it's very plainly obvious they're not stalking him, they're simply showing their love for the movie and the characters he's created. If it unsettles him so be it that's perfectly fine he has a right to feel that way.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I just don't get why people are making such a big deal about him using the word iconic when he's expressing gratitude that the film resonated with enough people in such a way that they would dress up as the stalkers. He's calling it iconic in response to that, same with calling it a phenomenon.
I'm assuming only white directors over 45 get to use that word.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
I could be massively off-base but it sometimes seems to me that Jordan Peele comes off as a huge dick when his statements are transcribed, but in audio and/or video the intent of said statements is evident and inoffensive. I imagine that the tone of his comments here are similar.

I don't even think he sounds that bad, but him talking about halloween costumes like it's impersonation is super funny

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read the OP and thought, "well, that's maybe a bit overblown."

Then I read the rest of the thread...

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Like I don't know how "it's a phenomenon, it's resonating, it's iconic" can come directly from a director's mouth and a person not think that isn't the least bit pretentious.
Pretty sure any Marvel director can say this and y'all wouldn't care.

Hell, fucking Scott Cawthon can say this.