• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
"Don't send me pictures of you dressed up as literal stalkers. It creeps me out."

Doesn't seem too strange to me.

He made a horror movie and is irritated by fans dressing as his characters for Halloween because the villains of the horror movie he made are scary people.

It's like John Carpenter getting upset that people are dressing up as Michael Meyers because Michael Meyers is actually a bad person.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So what about people dressing up as literal mass murderers like Jason Voorhees or Freddy Krueger? He's taking this too seriously.
Don't most scary characters do bad things?
I imagine he wouldn't want folks he doesn't know sending him pictures of them dressed up as those characters either.
He made a horror movie and is irritated by fans dressing as his characters for Halloween because the villains of the horror movie he made are scary people.
Some of y'all really refuse to read.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
it's stupid to take offense at someone saying "please don't send me your cosplay photos"
I agree with this part, in general I wish people would leave others alone. I know social media has blurred the lines of what's acceptable but anyone with fame I don't know how they do it.

Having mild anxiety issues myself it would drive me over the edge.

Last edited:

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
Like I don't know how "it's a phenomenon, it's resonating, it's iconic" can come directly from a director's mouth and a person not think that isn't the least bit pretentious.
Because the fact a non-trivial number of people are choosing to dress up as the characters is direct evidence that it is in fact those things?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I don't really give a shit about Marvel.
That plays into my point.

The damn Russo Bros. can call the Infinity Saga climax iconic and you wouldn't give a shit.

But one of the few black horror directors out here made an interesting film that did well critically and commercially and has resonated enough with its audience that they're constantly tweeting him Tethered costumes enough for him to even comment on it says his work is iconic and y'all are ready to tear him down for it.

This entire fucking conversation is wack.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I guess I'm torn between if someone asks you to stop you should stop (re: sending pics), but also that he made something that resonates with people and he could just not look at the tweets and it might make someone sad if they are discouraged from something that was important to them.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

It's like John Carpenter getting upset that people are dressing up as Michael Meyers because Michael Meyers is actually a bad person.

Your analogy is terrible since it's not what's happening here.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Because the fact a non-trivial number of people are choosing to dress up as the characters is direct evidence that it is in fact those things?
I mean if that's the case anything is iconic, if we're going down that road.

A Halloween costume isn't enough to claim your work as a phenomenon and iconic but I'm sure others will quickly point out that I'm misguided.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
If you needed a reminder that this was gaming forum just look at this thread. No one can ever be proud of their work without people here shitting on them just ask kojima.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Why are some of y'all interpreting this to make it seem like he's some kind of huge asshole? That's so stupid to hate on him for this.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
That plays into my point.

The damn Russo Bros. can call the Infinity Saga climax iconic and you wouldn't give a shit.

But one of the few black horror directors out here made an interesting film that did well critically and commercially and has resonated enough with its audience that they're constantly tweeting him Tethered costumes enough for him to even comment on it says his work is iconic and y'all are ready to tear him down for it.

This entire fucking conversation is wack.

This may and probably does apply to some people in the thread, but it's not uncommon at all to have celebs and directors called pompous or pretentious, hell they don't even have to say anything sometimes.

Take a read.

Edit- yes as pointed out above kojima is a good one that happens on this forum a lot. Also Phil fish and Jonathan blow.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Going by all these comments, I'm guessing Era is getting ready to collectively flood his inbox with images that already gives him nightmares despite politely asking people not to, just because he said the word "iconic".
HOW DARE YOU, JORDAN, MAKE A CULTURAL JUDGEMENT CALL BEFORE I CAN MAKE THE CULTURAL JUDGEMENT CALL BECAUSE I AM A CULTURAL ARBIRTER! EVERYONE I KNOW ASKS FOR MY OPINION ON FILM AND ALWAYS WANTS RECOMMENDATIONS!

/s

Not really seeing what's wrong with what he's saying.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people ganging up on Peele? He just doesn't want creepy photos sent to him...God forbid. He's so far up his own ass!!!!!

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
I mean if that's the case anything is iconic, if we're going down that road.

A Halloween costume isn't enough to claim your work as a phenomenon and iconic but I'm sure others will quickly point out that I'm misguided.
It's kind of silly to quibble about the specific degree to which those words should apply as that's going to be subjective and difficult to articulate to any real degree. Like, OK, you don't think Halloween costumes qualify (and no, not anything gets used for Halloween costumes), but so what? His overall point should be obvious: he didn't anticipate that the movie would be so resonant that it would inspire people to dress up for Halloween, and now that it is, he's commenting on how it feels for it to reach that level of popularity.

"Wow my movie is so popular it's inspiring people to do thing and tag me on Instagram, that's cool but also kinda weird."
"Uh what makes you think your movie was popular at all bro, that's pretty pretentious of you"
"Uh I literally just said the thing that makes me think that"
???

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's understandable dude the doesn't want people to send him cosplay, I bet that's annoying, particularly if the character weirds you out.

but also people aren't going to hang on yr every word, you're going to have people that aren't always online that are going to @ you with costumes like fans do with just about everyone that has a visible social media presence. that's what happens when you create a piece of art that is "resonating". The 'joy' of social media for you

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Dude is saying don't send him pics. What is wrong with y'all?

The original thread title explains the vast majority of responses. That coupled with a few out of context quotes made it sound like Jordan didn't want people dressing as his characters at all, period. If you read the article it becomes more clear he doesn't want to see the photos of it, not that he minds people doing it.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
The original thread title explains the vast majority of responses. That coupled with a few out of context quotes made it sound like Jordan didn't want people dressing as his characters at all, period. If you read the article it becomes more clear he doesn't want to see the photos of it, not that he minds people doing it.

Then people should learn to read the articles and not the headlines.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
the movie was terrible.
giphy.gif

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

I mean, that's asking a little too much there.