• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...overing-from--tranquiliser-addiction/11947500

"Bestselling Canadian author and academic Jordan Peterson is undergoing rehabilitation from an addiction to the tranquiliser drug benzodiazepine, his family has said.

In a video posted to his YouTube channel, Mr Peterson's daughter Mikhaila said he has been suffering from a physical dependency on the drug for eight months, which he was prescribed for anxiety.

"He has been in unbearable discomfort from this drug made worse when trying to remove it, because of the additional withdrawal symptoms stemming from physical dependence," his daughter said.

Ms Peterson, who herself gives talks on self-help topics, said her father was suffering from an "endless, irresistible restlessness bordering on panic and an inability to sit still. The reaction made him suicidal.".

More information on this from New York Post.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/08/jordan-peterson-recovering-from-tranquilizer-addiction-in-russia/

"Peterson sought alternative treatments in Russia after being repeatedly misdiagnosed in North American hospitals, including a clinic in New York, Mikhaila Peterson said in a video script she shared with Canada's National Post newspaper.

In the past, Peterson said he was able to beat back depression with the meat-heavy diet his daughter encouraged him to adopt. Cutting out greens altogether improved both his mental and physical health, he said in a 2018 interview.

"The Twelve Rules of Life" author has been released from the hospital and is taking anti-seizure medication, his daughter said. Although he has trouble walking and typing on his own, he is "on the mend," she said."

From what I understand, he went to Russia to seek therapy that is deemed unsafe by North American medical standards. He could not tolerate the withdrawal symptoms that come from quitting benzos. Quitting Benzos "cold turkey" is extremely dangerous due to seizures and permanent brain damage. He opted for medically induced coma in Russia to avoid the symptoms of withdrawal. Both the coma and the seizures from quitting cold in Russia have damaged his brain.

Update: Here is the video of his daughter talking about the situation. This is the source for the websites reporting this news. Spare yourselves and do not read the comments.

Last edited:

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we not make fun of someone for getting addicted to anxiety medication while dealing with his wives cancer diagnosis or is that too hard.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Guy spiraling into depression and drug abuse after his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer is a thing to make fun of I guess

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the Mighty have Fallen.

I wonder what his cult thinks of this?

He'll always have his small core of hard core lobster boys but like most alt right grifters once your usefulness runs out or you become damaged goods they drop you like a bad habit. He's lucky he's an ok looking straight white man as that gives you a bit more rope to hang yourself with but it doesn't really do much more than delay the inevitable. When you're base is a bunch of fickle pricks who pride themselves on not giving a shit about others then you shouldn't expect them to hang around when you look weak and can't push the narrative like you used to.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The addiction is horrible. The continuing weird pseudo-science his daughter has gotten him into is extremely troubling.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I was reading up on it earlier. Apparently, they put him in a medically induced coma in an attempt to go cold turkey instead of weaning him off like American doctors reccomended.

I mean, addiction sucks, but going to a different country to do quack shit instead of listening to doctors here was a bad idea

She said the family sought alternative treatment in Russia because they found North American hospitals had misdiagnosed him, and were prescribing "more medications to cover the response he was experiencing from the benzodiazepines," Mikhaila said. "He nearly died several times."
She and her husband took him to Moscow last month, where he was diagnosed with pneumonia and put into an induced coma for eight days. She said his withdrawal was "horrific," worse than anything she had ever heard about. She said Russian doctors are not influenced by pharmaceutical companies to treat the side-effects of one drug with more drugs, and that they "have the guts to medically detox someone from benzodiazepines."
Jordan Peterson has only just come out of an intensive care unit, Mikhaila said. He has neurological damage, and a long way to go to full recovery. He is taking anti-seizure medication and cannot type or walk unaided, but is "on the mend" and his sense of humour has returned.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The misinformation that comes from this guy's speeches is awful, but I think things like struggling with depression, anxiety, addiction, and cancer of a loved one are all very relatable problems.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't he been very condescending towards addicts in a "get over it" kind of way?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy spiraling into depression and drug abuse after his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer is a thing to make fun of I guess

Guy who is a noted piece of a shit about many of the very things affecting him right now makes it hard to garner sympathy and not schadenfreude

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benzos are scary. Some doctor put my grandma on them for a super long time. Now she has new doctors, but they won't take her off of them because she is old and the withdrawal could kill her. They've totally fucked her head up. She's confused, paranoid, and has zero memory.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Benzos for eight months?
Jesus fucking christ. Benzos are supppsed to be situational, not regular. They can have deadlier withdrawal than some actual narcotics.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
ej9CLFb.jpg

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did not make this post to "make fun" of Jordan Peterson's addiction to Benzos. I made this post to point out that his pseudo-intellectualism eventually came back to bite him in the ass. He is suffering because he opted for quack therapy in Russia instead of medical therapy in North America.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I'm speculating, but this is very likely Xanax. Need to be very careful when being prescribed that for anxiety (like it should only be distributed and used for extreme episodes), and it really shouldn't be used recreationally.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
I was prescribed Xanax for anxiety and I ended up in a car accident. This stuff is scary and I will never take benzos again.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hard to feel sympathy for someone so awful to the trans community. I wish I was a better person who could look past it and not get so much schadenfreude from this, but I'm not. Sucks to be him.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I did not make this post to "make fun" of Jordan Peterson's addiction to Benzos. I made this post to point out that his pseudo-intellectualism eventually came back to bite him in the ass. He is suffering because he opted for quack therapy in Russia instead of medical therapy in North America.

Yep.

Hard to feel sympathy for someone so awful to the trans community. I wish I was a better person who could look past it and not get so much schadenfreude from this, but I'm not. Sucks to be him.

Same here.

Seeing his droves of cultists attack people for lack of compassion is irony I was not expecting in 2020

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I believe a person has made the country or the world a worse place, yes I will cheer their demise.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Ms Peterson, who herself gives talks on self-help topics, said her father was suffering from an "endless, irresistible restlessness bordering on panic and an inability to sit still. The reaction made him suicidal.".

Fuck... I used a medication that had a similar effect, it's terrible and the doctor should have changed it before this point.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gotta listen to five hour speech to learn how his addiction is actually making a broader point about society

Oh you for sure know that Peterson, if he recovers enough, is going to use this as another extension of his grift. Worse he might very well try and push this quackery onto gullible rubes in need of serious medical attention.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Because no doctor in America would put him in an induced medical coma to try and speedrun the detox process.

FFS, without counseling and therapy are the underlaying psychological reasons will be still there. He will relapse or start using other substances. There is no magical "get out of jail" card for addiction, he will have to deal with it his whole life.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benzo withdrawal can literally kill you, only drug aside from alcohol that is capable of doing that. You can not quit either cold turkey beyond a certain point and no sane doctor would ever let you try, "medical coma" or not. That's some bad shit.

But sure, Peterson, the MDs know nothing. You'll do your next tour with a drool cup to own the libs and prove you're a real manly man's man.

Status
Not open for further replies.