• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't have any sympathy for the man. If these same exact circumstances had happened to a prominent liberal figure while he was healthy, you can be assured he'd be serenading his audience with their misery.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The thing that all the people preaching a perfect world where everyone respects each other and doesn't wish harm on each other and debates on the marketplace of ideas and blah blah blah don't get is that, so long as people like Jordan Peterson exist, that world will never exist.

Jordan's not interested in intellectually weighing ideas. Jordan's interested in pushing his own biases and making as much money as he can doing so. Actors like that aren't conducive to your wonderful enlightened future.

It's as simple as this, really.

SmileBrandon

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
User banned (permanent): trolling, tone policing, previous severe infractions
Guy spiraling into depression and drug abuse after his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer is a thing to make fun of I guess
Their actions go to show the heart of a person, whether or not they are a hateful, unforgiving person. There is a lack of decency when screaming obscenities about a person who does awful things; spewing things from a place of hatred towards another person does not make you any better than them. This title is somewhat of a mockery of the situation that not only JPB is going through but the rest of his loved ones. If anything, I would show love and support towards this man even if he has shown me none, because I live a life of loving people, when others think they don't deserve it. And it's hypocritical of people to do that when they make a mistake and ask for others' forgiveness. Being hateful towards a person who hasn't done what you would want from them, and acting out your hatred towards them, does not make you any better than that person.

I want a title change because it's insensitive to not only the man but the man's loved ones.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love whenever a thread on ERA brings out the "it's wrong to punch a nazi" crowd.

I personally will not go like sheep to the slaughter, and if that makes me an asshole or "lowers me to their level" so be it.

Their actions go to show the heart of a person, whether or not they are a hateful, unforgiving person. There is a lack of decency when screaming obscenities about a person who does awful things; spewing things from a place of hatred towards another person does not make you any better than them. This title is somewhat of a mockery of the situation that not only JPB is going through but the rest of his loved ones. If anything, I would show love and support towards this man even if he has shown me none, because I live a life of loving people, when others think they don't deserve it. And it's hypocritical of people to do that when they make a mistake and ask for others' forgiveness. Being hateful towards a person who hasn't done what you would want from them, and acting out your hatred towards them, does not make you any better than that person.

I want a title change because it's insensitive to not only the man but the man's loved ones.
I'm not wasting a shred of energy drudging up empathy for someone who would have me lined up against a wall with my peers if they had the choice. If that makes me a bad person in whatever imaginary morale system you've cooked up, then so be it

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Me not being a grifter pandering to the worst parts of the internet by shitting on vulnerable groups means I'm certainly a better person than Jordan Peterson. Some of you really love pandering to people's feeling for a guy who doesn't give two shits about their feelings in the first place.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a good reminder that Era is filled with White Straight Cis Males who don't give a shit about anyone except themselves.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
psJ4vD1.gif

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
You can disagree with someone's viewpoints and call them whatever slur you'd like but being glad someone or their relatives are in bad health is fucking insane.

Some of you need to take a step back from twitter, as a start.
Maybe you should stop telling minorities how to feel about someone who puts a target on their back.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a good reminder that Era is filled with White Straight Cis Males who don't give a shit about anyone except themselves.

Dont most people here hate JP because of how he treats the LGBTQ community? Namely transgender people?

I know that's why I hate him. Bigot using his influence to marginalize targeted communities by grifting and preaching to the Alt-right? Also all the misogyny. And pseudo-science, but that seems more his daughters influence.

Like yeah, I fit that bill (white dude married to a woman) but my apathy towards his condition is fueled by me caring about those communities he targets, and not caring at all for those who seek to further marginalize them.

If he werent an opportunistic bigot it would be sad. But he is, so it's not. *shrug*

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My god yes.

At least in the U.S. legislation and E.O. have been introduced that are anti-trans, one at least that could directly affect me, and a large part of all that was facilitated by the environment and activation of radicals to vote for and support such things by people like JP.

Nevermind that I am also an addict, a lot self medication for what the world made me feel, and my brother is an addict also.

So no I don't feel bad, hell maybe I even feel cheerful about his specific situation. I understand addiction all to well (and being dopesick sucks, Benzo turkey can kill you though, which makes what he did even fucking dumber) and would never minimize or wish it on someone.

But there is a big difference between wishing things on someone (I didn't) and withholding my empathy while watching someone fall into a pit of their own digging. This whole thing is the latter.

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
We can acknowledge his horrible stances, awful language, and still be decent humans who don't celebrate the destruction of life.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And who decides what the consensus/common standard or norm is? Nobody, because these things are extremely vague and malleable. Empathizing with a person who you know is suffering is never "going above and beyond", but a natural reaction.

I don't feel like getting into Kantian moral theory or Rawlsian social contract theory but those both concern themselves with what a common public ethics must be like, and neither of them would consider people's private thoughts and feelings re:schdenfreude or whatever to be a particular moral problem, because they're fundamentally more concerned with simpler more agreeable terms like actual conduct and universality/fairness.

Just think of it this way: do you ever hear about forgiveness being a moral requirement or duty outside of the particular excesses of Christian ethics? The same ethics that can seem to produce counterintuitive moral positions like how abuse victims are obliged to forgive their abusers? I'm presuming that the answer is no.

And you're right, it is a (spontaneous, authentic) feeling. That's why it's not suitable to be considered a duty. If someone doesn't feel it it's really not immediately apparent that they're causing harm or evil. It would be nice if people were abundant enough in spirit that they could have that kind of personal forbearance towards everyone, but we know for a fact that they do not, and if they don't then shaming them for it does no good.

But feel free to contest that point. Tell me, what is your 'yikes' really accomplishing? Empathy is always exercised in a somewhat selective way, because we can't really have empathy for all people at all times, thus meaning it comes down to an element of choice. So then why do you choose not to empathize with the people who legitimately don't give a shit what happens to Peterson?

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
What if I want to be a decent human who does celebrate the destruction of some lives though? lol
I think I am allowed that nuance.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to take wild guess that you have nothing personal at stake from his opinions that he espouses.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We can acknowledge his horrible stances, awful language, and still be decent humans who don't celebrate the destruction of life.

I love how you're only a decent human being if you remain silent or talk positive about a known POS who got famous by being a POS to vulnerable groups and minorities.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel comfortable celebrating death or sickness, but I'll be damned if I'm decrying someone because a terrible person was struck dead or ill and they were happy for it. And Peterson is terrible, he's an absolutely vile human being who has promoted equally vile things, such as participating in the recent rise of race realism, lying about a human rights law in order to hurt trans people, and pushing forward enforce monogamy (specifically relating to women) as a solution to incel shooters.

I do not celebrate, but if he were to pass, I would not deny that him no longer being able to cause harm would not be a positive thing for me.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
giphy.gif

I've literally heard some JP fans refer to trans people as a type of person that shouldn't exist in our society. I wouldn't be surprised if they would get rid of trans people if they were allowed to.

Last edited:

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Apologies for hoping that misfortune to those in privileged positions that abuse their status are humbled and it creates positive change in the world instead of celebrating a terrible thing that would destroy me if I was in there position.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Him going down to benzos is really just a great self-own considering how he made his money.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for hoping that misfortune to those in privileged positions that abuse their status are humbled and it creates positive change in the world instead of celebrating a terrible thing that would destroy me if I was in there position.

Brah if this was a thread about how he announced he wants to change and hates how he treated people before you might have a leg to stand on...until he shows remorse there aint nothing wrong with people not giving a fuck about him, if you think you are a better person because of it hell be my guest but I prefer to think about all the people hes effected in a horrible way.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How come the tone police NEVER attack Peterson for his toxicity towards women and trans folk?
They absolutely refuse to address it. Its disgusting that they are asking for empathy when looking the other way while spewing their crypto bullshit about how they don't support his views. Its all subversive.

They don't show up asking for empathy in other threads but for Peterson they come in droves. Fancy that.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
People who have been harmed by his influence hold no responsibility to give him best wishes so that there's a slight chance he'll see the error of his ways.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
For the tone police in this thread, do y'all realize the world literally is better place without this guy?
Its mean at least one less hate speech practitioner that made his following attacking marginalized group. Can you tell me how thats nothing but net positive?

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some people being very thought-police-y up in this thread.

To those who have feelings let them be felt.
To those who have thoughts let them be thunk'd.
To those who have sowneth ye chaoses and made maladies their trade let them reappeth the fangs of the dragons they chaseth.

Make your peace with what has been wrought.

RIJBP

amphteamints

Aug 21, 2018
Unfortunately, Milwaukee
Yeah some people being very thought-police-y up in this thread.

To those who have feelings let them be felt.
To those who have thoughts let them be thunk'd.
To those who have sowneth ye chaoses and made maladies their trade let them reappeth the fangs of the dragons they chaseth.

Make your peace with what has been wrought.

RIJBP
To those who sympathize with a homophobic, racist, hate filled sick douchebag make your peace with what has been wrought.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
When someone has dedicated their life to making it harder for marginalized people to live theirs, I will celebrate the loss of that life.

Status
Not open for further replies.