• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Hate the dude but the ResetEra hypocracy is showing.

We can tell who hasn't read the thread. We're not making light of addiction, we're just no very broken up about a guy who made light of addiction himself (among a litany of other gross shit) and then ended up falling prey to the BS he himself peddled.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling and Inflammatory Community Generalizations Over Multiple Posts; Prior Bans for Dismissive Behavior
We can tell who hasn't read the thread. We're not making light of addiction, we're just no very broken up about a guy who made light of addiction himself (among a litany of other gross shit) and then ended up falling prey to the BS he himself peddled.

I read the thread and your rationalization of a reply

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I read the thread and your rationalization of a reply

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their actions go to show the heart of a person, whether or not they are a hateful, unforgiving person. There is a lack of decency when screaming obscenities about a person who does awful things; spewing things from a place of hatred towards another person does not make you any better than them. This title is somewhat of a mockery of the situation that not only JPB is going through but the rest of his loved ones. If anything, I would show love and support towards this man even if he has shown me none, because I live a life of loving people, when others think they don't deserve it. And it's hypocritical of people to do that when they make a mistake and ask for others' forgiveness. Being hateful towards a person who hasn't done what you would want from them, and acting out your hatred towards them, does not make you any better than that person.

I want a title change because it's insensitive to not only the man but the man's loved ones.
What a disgusting and manipulative display. Had you any shame you'd be feeling it. This is a person who spread hate and misery you are showing love to. Your ethos keeps polite society looking the other way on hate and is why its so hard to make progress for marginalized people.

Your post is what normalizing hate looks like.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
So let me get this straight, he was put in a coma so his body could "ride out" the effects of the drug withdrawal without him actually having to feel it? That about the gist of it? Sounds dangerous as hell if that's what it was.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Apologies for hoping that misfortune to those in privileged positions that abuse their status are humbled and it creates positive change in the world instead of celebrating a terrible thing that would destroy me if I was in there position.

Do I really need to point out how unlikely it is that Peterson will Grinch out and suddenly become a good person as a result of this? This is real life, not a fairy tale. There's no clear redemption arc.

Even if his heart suddenly did get bigger this day, he'd have a ton of work ahead of him to fix all the damage he caused, assuming his audience wouldn't immediately kick him to the curb the moment he stopped confirming their biases.

For the tone police in this thread, do y'all realize the world literally is better place without this guy?
Its mean at least one less hate speech practitioner that made his following attacking marginalized group. Can you tell me how thats nothing but net positive?

They've decided it's better to let the fox prey on the henhouse every night than be happy the fox got sick, because they don't care about the chickens.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Do I really need to point out how unlikely it is that Peterson will Grinch out and suddenly become a good person as a result of this? This is real life, not a fairy tale. There's no clear redemption arc.

Even if his heart suddenly did get bigger this day, he'd have a ton of work ahead of him to fix all the damage he caused, assuming his audience wouldn't immediately kick him to the curb the moment he stopped confirming their biases.

For real. If Peterson gets better I wouldn't be surprised if he starts shilling his Russian como rehab cure to others who are desperate or gullible.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This piece of shit's goal was to make other people suffer and even though he's incapable of doing so now because he fell victim to his own pseudoscientific bullshit, he has already radicalized hordes of people who are going to continue hurting others...Those who are telling others ITT not to celebrate, go get some fucking perspective.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It will always fascinates me hearing about millionaires falling for quack medical sciences and end up doing irreparable harm to themselves. Same thing happened to Steve Jobs too.

Jordan Peterson had plenty of money and access to get the best healthcare in the world and he chooses the sketchy Russian coma treatment.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Their actions go to show the heart of a person, whether or not they are a hateful, unforgiving person. There is a lack of decency when screaming obscenities about a person who does awful things; spewing things from a place of hatred towards another person does not make you any better than them. This title is somewhat of a mockery of the situation that not only JPB is going through but the rest of his loved ones. If anything, I would show love and support towards this man even if he has shown me none, because I live a life of loving people, when others think they don't deserve it. And it's hypocritical of people to do that when they make a mistake and ask for others' forgiveness. Being hateful towards a person who hasn't done what you would want from them, and acting out your hatred towards them, does not make you any better than that person.

I want a title change because it's insensitive to not only the man but the man's loved ones.

In other words, Jews who celebrated when they found out Hitler had killed himself are the real monsters.

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
imagine listening to your dipshit faildaughter whose claim to fame is grifting on instagram and obliterating your brain cells by performing the medical version of the knockout game on a russian back alley. just one of the dumbest ways to turn your brain into pudding

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we should make two separate threads: One for symphatizing with his suffering, and one for celebrating his (imminent) demise. Like those Kobe threads... /s

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
am i a transphobe if im not happy this dude is suffering or

No. When I sit and actually imagine the scenario as described I can't say that I'd want to subject anyone to it, but there are literally a litany of reasons for why someone might not feel compelled to do that imagination exercise, or why that when they do they still might not particularly care. And I think framing this as a 'caring about' is important in that ethical feelings and sentiments are supposed to anticipate their resolution via action (ethics is in fact 'practical wisdom', or wisdom about and in our practices). What I'm trying to say is that our ability to care about things does work on a kind of economy, ego depletion is a real thing, and unless your aim is to develop compassion for people you don't care about or don't like (and, for the record, that kind of ethical perfectionism is legit af as an internal or internally-motivated ethics), it's not clear how useful it is or why anyone should necessarily be compelled to do it. It just doesn't make any sense to shame people about it one way or another imo unless you give enough of a shit to really try to unpack all of this stuff on an individual basis and legitimately try to give them some kind of thoughtful moral counsel.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry, but like I said, actions have consequences and I don't feel bad about being satisfied that this man met the fate of his own stupid bullshit.

What I would actually hate to happen is for other people to see that you can start a cult of misinformation, cause a lot of damage, and still have people feel sorry for you and forgive you once you've gotten swept up in your own dangerous bullshit.

Back in the day we would call this a Darwin Award and move on.

Ghostshark

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was on benzos (klonopin) for four years for depression, ptsd, and severe anxiety. There was a miscommunication when my doctor transferred away and my new doctor had no idea I was on it for so long. He decided to wean me off the medication because of how bad withdrawals can be. They were catastrophic.

I had severe muscle spasms, seizures, hallucinations, intense headaches, and didn't sleep for days. Eventually, I had to be hospitalized because I couldn't take care of myself during the withdrawal period. Imagine a panic attack that lasted for months straight. I thought the nurses and doctors were actual demons and that I had died and gone to hell.

After several months, the withdrawl effects went away. I would easily choose death over going through that again.

Jul 3, 2019
How many people has he hurt with his bullshit grift? Karma is a bitch and i feel no sympathy for that hack.
Just like the Rush Limbaugh cancer diagnosis I take delight in their suffering because of the vile shit they have have said and done for years.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine needing to be civil toward a man who *checks notes* says that women are asking to be sexually assaulted because they were makeup.

One of ten thousand awful things this asshole has spewed in his time.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm out of the loop. Why is JP so disliked on ERA?

Alt-right grifter who built a career out of doing things like this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson#Bill_C-16

www.vox.com

Jordan Peterson, the obscure Canadian psychologist turned right-wing celebrity, explained

Who Peterson is, and the important truths he reveals about our current political moment.

"When Cathy Newman, a journalist for the UK's Channel 4, challenged Peterson's arguments in a televised interview, she received so many death threats that she had to get help from the police"

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm out of the loop. Why is JP so disliked on ERA?
Because he's a fucking horrible transphobic misogynist grifter who is a gateway to the alt-right and peddles conspiracy and hateful bullshit with a false sense of authority because he's a professor at UoT. All around terrible person, tbh.

I still wouldn't with benzo withdrawal on anyone but yeah the guy fucking sucks. He's done a ton of damage to society. I totally get the scandenfraude people are feeling from this news, especially because the Russian coma bit is him falling for his own grift.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have some questions about this story.

Why do you use benzo's to treat a food allergy? Is this common?

What was the impetus for going through the withdrawal and attempting to do so quickly? He was given Benzo's for some sort of side effect due to a food allergy, then with his wife's tragic diagnosis he needed to up his dosage. So why did he suddenly need to get away from the benzo's? Was he abusing them? The daughter mentioned that he had been prescribed them for eight months. How much was he taking per day to become that addicted. Who was filling his prescription?

What also doesn't make any sense is that SSRIs are used to treat depression and anxiety. Benzo's are something you use as a last resort for sever panic attacks as well as some other medical conditions. So why he was taking them regularly outside of the food allergy thing I am not sure. They don't make you feel great, just very sleepy and zonked out.

The daughter is quoted as saying that multiple treatments failed in Canada/North America. But what exactly were they treating him for? Was he abusing his medication? If so, how? You cannot just re-up your benzo prescription on a whim. Benzo's are a controlled substance, and your doctor would be very weary to give you refill if you were continually using your supply before the refil date. Again, I'd be interested to see where he was getting his prescription from.

So after all this, he goes to Russia (lol) and undergoes some sort of coma inducing treatment. Which not only leaves him with brain damage, but somehow he has terrible pneumonia while taking the treatment. What the fuck?

I feel like we are missing so much about the story.

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018

Wow, that's a really long winded, pompous way of telling us you are a useful idiot for bigots.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

What was the impetus for going through the withdrawal and attempting to do so quickly? He was given Benzo's for some sort of side effect due to a food allergy, then with his wife's tragic diagnosis he needed to up his dosage. So why did he suddenly need to get away from the benzo's? Was he abusing them? The daughter mentioned that he had been prescribed them for eight months. How much was he taking per day to become that addicted. Who was filling his prescription?

What also doesn't make any sense is that SSRIs are used to treat depression and anxiety. Benzo's are something you use as a last resort for sever panic attacks as well as some other medical conditions. So why he was taking them regularly outside of the food allergy thing I am not sure. They don't make you feel great, just very sleepy and zonked out.

The daughter is quoted as saying that multiple treatments failed in Canada/North America. But what exactly were they treating him for? Was he abusing his medication? If so, how? You cannot just re-up your benzo prescription on a whim. Benzo's are a controlled substance, and your doctor would be very weary to give you refill if you were continually using your supply before the refil date. Again, I'd be interested to see where he was getting his prescription from.

So after all this, he goes to Russia (lol) and undergoes some sort of coma inducing treatment. Which not only leaves him with brain damage, but somehow he has terrible pneumonia while taking the treatment. What the fuck?

He was trained as a clinicial psychologist, who would and should have 100% known of the effects of trying to fast-withdrawl from Benzos by this method. The pneumonia is probably from the fact that he probably needed to be on a ventilator and he wasn't taken care of properly.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, SSRIs are a long-term treatment for depression and anxiety, while benzos can be used as a short term treatment for in-the-moment things, like a particularly bad day or night full of anxious or depressive thoughts. SSRIs take weeks of taking them regularly to take effect, and then have a long weaning period (can take months) when you want to go off of them. Benzos kick in as quickly as a Tylenol and last for the next 8-12 hours, and then they're out of your system in short order.

You're right in that benzos don't make you feel good. What they do is calm you down when your mind is going a mile a minute with anxious and depressive thoughts. The "feel better" from a benzo is basically you getting a chance to catch a break from your brain flooding you with bad thoughts.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't love people who express hatred towards people like me and lie to people in order to promote hatred towards us. Why would I?

It is not a matter of "I hate him because he's not woke enough," it's "I hate him because he profits from intentionally causing harm to women, non-white people, trans people, and others."

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If anything, I would show love and support towards this man even if he has shown me none, because I live a life of loving people, when others think they don't deserve it.
He made a name for himself after denying trans people's humanity, doesn't like the fact that it's socially unacceptable to escalate an argument with women to physical violence, went off about how men in Western society are disenfranchised, says shit like this:

But apparently it's gauche to, uh, not give a shit that he couldn't clean his room and get his house in order I guess.

Literally zero people in this thread know who he is because of his psychology background, they know him for yelling at college kids for their preferred pronouns. He's been an asshole from the jump, so maybe it isn't completely surprising that people don't particularly give a shit about this guy.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When the tone police reads A Christmas Carol they get upset at the Ghosts being mean to poor old Scrooge!

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

his "food allergy reaction" was a month long, overwhelming sense of impending doom due to drinking apple cider.

Status
Not open for further replies.