• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I can't get behind this. I don't think he 'deserves' anything, but taking shots at the guy whilst he's down is really cheap.
This guy built his career on a philosophy of kicking the downtrodden and disenfranchised while feeding the egos of the selfish and self absorbed. He can afford his addiction and his rehab because he's made money off of legions of fans that he's primed to treat this exact situation he's in as a weakness and societal detriment when it happens to other people. If he wanted empathy now, he should have shown such empathy before rather than shirking it to become the collective dad of alt-right and alt-lite man-children.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It will always fascinates me hearing about millionaires falling for quack medical sciences and end up doing irreparable harm to themselves. Same thing happened to Steve Jobs too.

Jordan Peterson had plenty of money and access to get the best healthcare in the world and he chooses the sketchy Russian coma treatment.

Hubris is a helluva drug

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Based on what I've read about and of Jordan Peterson he's not someone I agree with, but is he a white supremacist? What evidence is there of this? I tried to google but didn't find much.
One of many examples is having a public, recorded conversation with known white supremacist Stefan Molyneux on the subject of purported ethnic differences in IQ, based on dubious or outright debunked studies.

You are the company you keep. If I have a history of walking in neo-nazi marches, not only does my denial of being a white supremacist seem suspicious and hollow; additionally it quite frankly doesn't even matter what my innermost opinions are. Because I have supported and legitimized nazis by engaging with them and hold the blame as well.

Same with PewDiePie. Even if you by some bizarre mental gymnastics could argue that all of the white supremacists he followed on social media before purging them, the sign saying "Death to all Jews" which he had displayed, or his repeated use of the N-word as an insult, were all trolling or joking or what have you, and he isn't a racist deep inside (spoiler: he is). It - does - not - matter. His actions and words are what affects the outside world and disenfranchised and oppressed groups. Not his innermost thoughts and feelings, which can be known by no-one but himself.

Last edited:

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
It will always fascinates me hearing about millionaires falling for quack medical sciences and end up doing irreparable harm to themselves. Same thing happened to Steve Jobs too.

Jordan Peterson had plenty of money and access to get the best healthcare in the world and he chooses the sketchy Russian coma treatment.

It's so weird too, especially with Steve Jobs since his illness was 100% treatable/curable with normal medicine prior to whatever he did. It doesn't make any sense as to why people with means opt for the pseudoscience and quackery for treatment

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This hate will literally never stop the other side's bigotry. It will make them laugh at you and do it in increasing measure.
Don't become Malcolm X, seriously (and if you don't know who he is, look him up).
I think you should be the one to look him up. Malcolm X didn't perpetuate bigotry against himself and fellow black people by being outspoken and militant against the system of oppression and violence he was born into. And acting like he chose poorly in a battle that's been fought every which way by multiple generations of activists and still isn't fully solved is bs.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I can somewhat see why a trans audience could take offense with his views, but I don't see JBP being a white supremacist. Care to explain?
He spouts islamophobic "western judeo-christian values are threatened" shit, for one, and complains about multiculturalism. And often there's plenty of more (not-so-subtle) dog whistling that gets the Shapiro/Trump crowd hard.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
please don't take this personally but you seem dumb

source.gif

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand why Russia. No offense to Russian doctors, I'm sure they are as talented as any other country's... but RUSSIA? All the way to Russia. Not even giving Europe a chance, just skipping over all that and going straight to Russia.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why Russia. No offense to Russian doctors, I'm sure they are as talented as any other country's... but RUSSIA? All the way to Russia. Not even giving Europe a chance, just skipping over all that and going straight to Russia.
Well, it goes back to the Soviet Union.
There has always been a rift on medicine between the East and West, and it still persists even today.
There's a lot of quackery going on there (and here too).

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Probably no other doctors wanted to do that.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's so weird too, especially with Steve Jobs since his illness was 100% treatable/curable with normal medicine prior to whatever he did. It doesn't make any sense as to why people with means opt for the pseudoscience and quackery for treatment
I don't think it's quite that in this case. It's no secret that the US has an opioid crisis because doctors are paid by the pharmaceutical industry to prescribe heavy drugs like candy. If Jordan Peterson is a 'victim' of getting hooked on opioids by American doctors, and their solution to his plight is to hook him on even more drugs, I can definitely empathize that his reaction would be "fuck off I'm going to another country". Why Russia and not a developed country is probably hubris, as is going to the US for opioids in the first place. Though I also don't know any European countries that are big in medical tourism. Maybe it isn't allowed in welfare states?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The left didn't make him famous WTF

Damn straight

the idiots buying his books, having him on their shows, and pushing him as an "intellectual" are the ones that gave him prominence. Not the"triggured libruls" "signal boosting" him by calling out bullshit. It's the moron incel chuds that couldn't figure out why cleaning your room and good posture might improve self image that enabled him

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This guy built his career on a philosophy of kicking the downtrodden and disenfranchised while feeding the egos of the selfish and self absorbed. He can afford his addiction and his rehab because he's made money off of legions of fans that he's primed to treat this exact situation he's in as a weakness and societal detriment when it happens to other people. If he wanted empathy now, he should have shown such empathy before rather than shirking it to become the collective dad of alt-right and alt-lite man-children.

I know exactly what kind of cunt he is.

I think there's a world of difference between empathising with him and abstaining from taking cheap shots whilst he's down. The "well, he was an arsehole first" argument simply doesn't cut it.

People do love the smell of blood though, regardless of there politics.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Good, fuck him. If it wasn't some fash adjacent grifter I'd feel sympathy but he deserves none at this moment in time. If he recovers and proceeds to genuinely reform himself then maybe I'll feel bad for him but until that happens there is no reason to give a shit about this man's suffering

I think there's a world of difference between empathising with his situation and abstaining from taking cheap shots whilst he's down. The "well, he was an arsehole first" argument simply doesn't cut it.
Genuinely why does it matter if people take cheap shots at him while he's down? As long as they avoid making statements that are hurtful towards addicts or the disabled in general just to try to slag him off, it really shouldn't matter.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

I think there's a world of difference between empathising with him and abstaining from taking cheap shots whilst he's down. The "well, he was an arsehole first" argument simply doesn't cut it.

People do love the smell of blood though, regardless of there politics.

Many of us have been shitting on JP for years before his reported health decline. So for some people jumping on the bandwagon only now, you might have a point. But for the rest of us, it's just called consistency.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely why does it matter if people take cheap shots at him while he's down? As long as they avoid making statements that are hurtful towards addicts or the disabled in general just to try to slag him off, it really shouldn't matter.

People can have at it. I'm saying I personally can't get behind it because it's exactly the kind of cheap, cunty behaviour that he and his ilk take part in and, naively, I like to think we're better than that.

Many of us have been shitting on JP for years before his reported health decline. So for some people jumping on the bandwagon only now, you might have a point. But for the rest of us, it's just called consistency.

Fair point :D

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This guy was always a crank, sounds like he sought out other cranks who have made his situation worse.

Going through a spouse being diagnosed with cancer would be a nightmare, but the reaction he and his daughter have had demonstrates how unqualified to dispense self help, psychology or medical advice they both are.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do find it kinda sad that this guy was shot to the moon by people signal amplifying his stupid bullshit instead of just ignoring him and now he's crashing down the same people are revelling in it.
What's with the revisionist history here? That's not what happened at all. He was making bank from his books and then he got big with bigots for lying about trans people. People on the left had to respond to his lies and the lies pushed by his supporters because he was already taken seriously. He also got plenty of positive exposure via hack YouTubers and Joe Rogan.

Don't think he deserves any sympathy but it doesn't feel like a great way forward for the left to constantly try to kick the shit out of anyone we disagree with...just leave the son of a bitch alone.

"Constantly try to kick the shit out of anyone we disagree with"

Cut the bullshit. Bigotry isn't just some harmless belief that leaves room for disagreement, it's a lie for shitty people by shitty people who value feelings over facts. When you have an audience of millions, spend so much time telling the world how trans people are delusional and cis women are irrational, and then fuck your health up by rejecting science and modern medicine, the very least you deserve is mockery.

"The left" don't boost people like Peterson to the mainstream, but after a certain point, ignoring him and his rhetoric becomes irresponsible.

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about this guy but the story disturbs me. Choosing to go into temporary coma and ending up brain damaged... Exactly what kind of damage?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of rich people think the fact they're rich means they're smarter than everyone else.

Plus the rich are still human and are just as vulnerable to misinformation as anyone else.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Well I meant more mocking him for his health issues and brain damage. I'm all aboard mocking the lobsters and his transphobic statements.

EDIT: And I'm not even going to say people shouldn't mock his health issues. Only that I don't think it'll reduce bigotry.

We're not trying to reduce bigotry here champ. We just don't feel bad for a grifting bigot who drank his own koolaid and paid dearly for it. And to be straight up I was mocking him long before he was sick and was a normal healthy grifting bigot.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This hate will literally never stop the other side's bigotry. It will make them laugh at you and do it in increasing measure.
Don't become Malcolm X, seriously (and if you don't know who he is, look him up).
You seriously need to shut the fuck up and read a book before you ever speak about Malcom X again. There is literally a thread going on now where staff members are trying to create a better environment for black people on this forum, and you're out here posting this stupid bullshit. You're the one who has to actually look up Malcom X.

Your post is just vanilla racism.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lmao, this forum is True or False.

The first is as bad as any verbal discrimination, and should get a warning or ban.
The second is literally wrong. Hitler enabled the killing of millions of innocents. At least fix your distance measure lol.

It seems that many of you are just happy that somebody you hate is in pain. Like it will fix your problems.
It's understandable, but it's not acceptable.

Says the clown who thought that Pewdiepie had changes and chastised the people who knew he didn't change.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
I can tell you based on statistics and even my middling experience slinging out pills behind a pharmacy counter that opioid and narcotic addiction is not ravaging my community as much as others. Why?

It's because black and brown people aren't prescribed it to the same degrees as white people are for the same conditions under the belief that we are inherently abusers and peddlers.

This is the kind of racism Peterson revels in. Funny how that works.

Sucks to suck.

There's also the racist belief that black people don't feel as much pain as white people so we don't need pain meds.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

They'll laugh and do it in increasing measure no matter what anyone does, because the ones leading the way are elevated and financially well-compensated for doing so.

Plus people aren't hating them in a vacuum. You're conspicuously leaving out that people hate them because they hate the people. And they have a much larger platform.

startrek_gif.gif

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of rich people think the fact they're rich means they're smarter than everyone else.

Plus the rich are still human and are just as vulnerable to misinformation as anyone else.

It's just wild to see this guy with a Ph.D in clinical psychology succumb to believing in any kind of medical disinfo. He has access to enough medical experts and colleagues that can easily explain to him that an all-meat diet will not cure his anxiety or that the clinically disproved Russian coma treatment won't cure his benzo addiction.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Jordan Peterson believes the literal dreams of his wife. As in, the dreams you have when you fall asleep.

Didn't he start all this because he wanted to avert some sort of apocalyptic vision his wife had? Given his supposed love of classics I guess trying to avert a prophecy and making things much worse in the process is extremely on-brand.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he start all this because he wanted to avert some sort of apocalyptic vision his wife had? Given his supposed love of classics I guess trying to avert a prophecy and making things much worse in the process is extremely on-brand.

He wanted to tour the world giving lectures because his wife had a dream that if he didn't do this, something akin to World War III would happen. He even implied he'd open a church or something if he couldn't give ""secular"" lectures and that speaks volumes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
We do not provide a platform for Jordan Peterson or his content. This thread is locked for that reason, but we will continue to review reports from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.