• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The Guardian

Jordan Peterson, the controversial academic, has launched a new anti-censorship website that will only take down offensive content if specifically ordered to by a US court. The psychology professor from Toronto said that Carl Benjamin, the failed Ukip MEP candidate who speculated about raping the Labour MP Jess Phillips, had agreed to test the subscription-only site, named Thinkspot.
Peterson has a cult following among rightwingers for controversial views about identity politics and has become a hate figure for many on the left. Earlier this year the University of Cambridge rescinded an offer of visiting fellowship to Peterson after backlash from staff and students.

Peterson said he hoped the site would be a censorship-free alternative to Patreon, an online membership service that at one stage made the Canadian $80,000 per month. He said: "It'll be a subscription service. And so that's partly what makes it a replacement for Patreon to some degree, because we want to be able to monetise creators."
The terms of service for the new site take an extreme position on free speech. Peterson said: "Once you're on our platform, we won't take you down, unless we're ordered to by a US court of law. That's basically the idea. So we're trying to make an anti-censorship platform." Peterson, who describes himself as a "professor against political correctness" said that Benjamin, who blogs under the name Sargon of Akkad, was one of a handful of controversial figures who had been invited to test the initiative.

He said: "I think we've got four, five or six people who are lined up. [Dave] Rubin is going to use it. I'm going to use it, James Altucher, Jocko Willink, Michael Shermer, oh and Carl Benjamin, Sargon of Akkad. They'll be our first beta testers fundamentally."

Newsbusters
The only other major rule on comments he mentioned was that they need to be thoughtful. Rather than suggesting that some opinions are "off limits," Peterson said they will have a minimum required length so one has to put thought into what they write.

"If minimum comment length is 50 words, you're gonna have to put a little thought into it," Peterson said. "Even if you're being a troll, you'll be a quasi-witty troll."

All comments on the website will have a voting feature "and if your ratio of upvotes to downvotes falls below 50/50 then your comments will be hidden, people will still be able to see them, if they click, but you'll disappear." He later added a caveat saying that was still being mulled over and that "We don't know if 50/50 is right."

🤔 spot.

I know Peterson threads usually get closed but can we at least laugh at this for now, if just at Dave Rubin.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
All comments on the website will have a voting feature "and if your ratio of upvotes to downvotes falls below 50/50 then your comments will be hidden, people will still be able to see them, if they click, but you'll disappear."
Unintentional meta commentary on marginalized groups?

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Don't wanna see "Jordan Peterson launches" unless it continues with "himself off a cliff".

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh dang

someone post a transcript of Chapo Trap House rippin this guy's rationale wide open, and let's see how precious their free speech really is

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
so it's a shitty reddit you pay for, populated by (more) rambling pseudo-intellectuals and crypto-nazis

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"only take down offensive content if specifically ordered to by a US court." So any other courts don't matter?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah fuck, Sargon is involved too. Now we just need to get Paul Joseph Watson and Stefan Molyneux and it'll really be a party!

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God, I really fucking wish I wasn't in China right now, I'd do some investigating and make a video on the absurdity of this. Though I guess some others will probably have me covered.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Ah fuck, Sargon is involved too. Now we just need to get Paul Joseph Watson and Stefan Molyneux and it'll really be a party!
Molyneux smh.

First topic on thinkspot "Welcome to Thinkspot - An online agora of rational and free thought"
Second topic "The Jewish Question Megathread"

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
The free-speech/no-platforming comparison always makes me chuckle. Dickheads like this have free speech. They can go into their own space and say whatever they want. Free speech includes people/places going "hey; no, get the fuck out."

droog

Oct 26, 2017
Michael Shermer? Why is he getting involved with this? I quite enjoyed reading Science Friction, he didn't seem like the sort who'd get involved with Peterson. Did I miss something!?

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They always end up fucking up themselves when they increase their profile.

Oct 25, 2017
Upvotes and downvotes are the worst thing on the internet, and of course these people love them. It creates a ranking where popular opinions get a big number, showing that this person has the Correct Opinion on things and that you should be ashamed if your number isn't as big.

This Jordan Peterson site has the even worse Reddit style where your comment gets hidden with enough downvotes. Even if a left-leaning person went on to one of these Free Speech Sites to try to argue against them, the community there will just downvote that incorrect opinion away.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure there is going to be level headed reasonable posts on the website..... /s

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
"It'll be a subscription service. And so that's partly what makes it a replacement for Patreon to some degree, because we want to be able to monetise creators."

The irony of their ratio policy aside, this is a scam to get all the internet's favorite nazis and idiots paid. Imagine giving these people your billing info.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
reddit, 4chan, youtube, facebook, whatsapp and a variety of other sites and services are not enough?