• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
He became famous by protesting against trans people using the bathrooms they wanted.

He also came out and essentially said "women having casual relationships are ruining society by making men who can't get women angry and violent. maybe the government should enforce monogamy to solve this problem' so forcing women into relationships so angry incels don't go on a shooting spree.

That's just two points off the top of my head. There are plenty more examples of him either holding horrible opinions or simply spouting ignorant and baseless shit.
I thought he got famous by protesting against the passing of a law that would force individuals to use preferred pronouns? His argument being that this is infringement on free speech. Difference between "essentially said" and a direct quote is huge in most situations. I don't want this to come across as me just defending the guy, but is there more to it than this?

Yes, I checked the OP, bu the article is longer than i'm willing to read as it starts out as just someone's opinion on the man, nothing factual about something he said that was based in hate for anyone. I don't see the hidden agenda.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I thought he got famous by protesting against the passing of a law that would force individuals to use preferred pronouns? His argument being that this is infringement on free speech. Difference between "essentially said" and a direct quote is huge in most situations. I don't want this to come across as me just defending the guy, but is there more to it than this?

Yes, I checked the OP, bu the article is longer than i'm willing to read as it starts out as just someone's opinion on the man, nothing factual about something he said that was based in hate for anyone. I don't see the hidden agenda.

IT_HAS_BEGUN%21%21%21.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Apparently I've become a target here, that's cool with me. Still waiting for something specific that might enlighten me. Genuinely curious about what I have missed as any interview or anything I've ever seen with the guy is far from bigoted or hate filled or any of the accusations I see here. Pardon my short attention span, I don't feel like reading long articles or scrolling through 50 pages, I just want some quick simple examples that make me see that this guy is all the negative things I'm reading here.

I have no intention of attacking anyone here, so anyone blindly attacking my character will be ignored.

1. He totally misunderstood the C16 bill and launch his entire career off of being opposed to trans individuals becoming a protected class when statistically they're the most persecuted minority.

2. He did this under the guise of him fighting for freedom of speech. He doesn't stand for that however as he'll attempt to sue anybody that's critical of him. He also actively platforms alt right right folks under the idea of debates being critical to knowledge but actively runs from debating the left.

3. He thinks nothing can be learned from Nazi concentration camps, thinks those in camps weren't used as salves/for a profit, and thinks the only takeaway for the motivation of the Nazis is that they were chaotic evil DnD characters.

4. The whole Vince interview. Like seriously, it's super obvious he doesn't think women should be in the work place.

5. He literally thinks respect is only gained because society accepts men always want to fight each other, he can't respect women because society tell him he can't fight them. I don't think there's any evidence that he's ever been in a fight in his life.

6. He thinks it's impossible to have a conversation with (attractive) women without there being flirty undertones. He's been reprimanded for inappropriate conduct multiple times.

7. He once drank apple cider then claimed it rendered him bedridden and unable to sleep for an entire month.

8. Everything he says is 100% informed by his radical Protestant beliefs. He claims to be a man of science without ever citing it or showing a basic understanding of it.

That's just 8 points off the top of my head. He's a fucking stupid insane liar that found himself a cult because he's a prominent anti-SJW figure.

Though you should really have read the OP. I only responded because it's fun to go over the stuff supposed sceptics fall for.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
So, the other day I discovered my brother is a big fan of this guy and Ben Shapiro, he is not a bad person my Brother, but how do I convince him these dudes are just Toxic men promoting White male privilege?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, the other day I discovered my brother is a big fan of this guy and Ben Shapiro, he is not a bad person my Brother, but how do I convince him, these dudes are just Toxic men promoting White male privilege?

I wouldn't approach it with that much antagonism. I've had zero luck dealing with my sister when arguing about police brutality this way (she works with the police). The criticism that is linked on this same page might be a tactic if your brother is the curious sort. But putting people on the defensive makes them entrench themselves and think they have no other choice but to defend it. Come at with facts and don't make it a formal thing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Use the search function (check 'Search this thread only') for 'C16' and 'C-16' (the bill in question).

ilium

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Do you think all the world speaks english? No one gives two shits about that guy where I'm from.

You sound like a biggot yourself, how ironic.

But the people she was adressing and who make the argument "I'm not american, so..." certainly have to speak english, right?

Edit: Seems I am too late, oh well

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so I just learned something he was wrong about regarding the c16 bill as I just did a quick google search of the actual bill and it seems he did misunderstand it. We are making some progress. The rest of the 8 reasons posted above seem a bit exaggerated and/or way off if I'm being honest based on what I have seen the man actually say.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So, the other day I discovered my brother is a big fan of this guy and Ben Shapiro, he is not a bad person my Brother, but how do I convince him these dudes are just Toxic men promoting White male privilege?
Peterson I can understand because his bullshit self help stuff can really get his hooks into you, but I fail to see what someone like Ben Shapiro has to offer to a "good person". He was editor of white nationalist fake news site Breitbart.

Deleted member 26394

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ok so I just learned something he was wrong about regarding the c16 bill as I just did a quick google search of the actual bill and it seems he did misunderstand it. We are making some progress. The rest of the 8 reasons posted above seem a bit exaggerated and/or way off if I'm being honest based on what I have seen the man actually say.
So now you realize his entire claim to fame is a bigoted lie and you think the other stuff is exaggerated? Hm

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

But he's actually said these things. Or written about these things. Directly from him, this is where the info comes from.

Like the apple cider thing is ridiculous and he actually, literally has said this.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

He didn't misunderstand it. He purposefully misrepresented it.

Can you explain why you find him to be awesome, as per your first post in this thread?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just so you know the apple cider thing is almost an exact quote lol. He said it on Joe Rogan's Podcast iirc.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently I've become a target here, that's cool with me. Still waiting for something specific that might enlighten me. Genuinely curious about what I have missed as any interview or anything I've ever seen with the guy is far from bigoted or hate filled or any of the accusations I see here. Pardon my short attention span, I don't feel like reading long articles or scrolling through 50 pages, I just want some quick simple examples that make me see that this guy is all the negative things I'm reading here.

I have no intention of attacking anyone here, so anyone blindly attacking my character will be ignored.
We already gave you specific examples, you just conveniently ignore all of them and refuse to read anything else.

And just stop with the victim act. You say something dumb in a thread with every single page filled with (some repeated) examples of how he is a total POS snake oil seller and all around shitty bigot, people are gonna answer.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People corrected him countless times, but he never stopped lying about C16.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Understand that the only two ways your boy could have looked at a measly amendment that's fewer than 20 words (excluding the definitions) and gotten it completely wrong is if he's too stupid to understand basic legal text (in which case you're a fan of a colossal moron) or if he actively lied.

And for some reason, instead of looking up the things people are telling you, you're still assuming he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

His consistent mischaracterization of Marxism and Post-Modernism as some unified body of thought seeking to destroy Western Civilization, let alone his fundamental misunderstanding of the content of these very distinct intellectual movements, is a lazy and dangerous contrivance that leads people down paths of global conspiracy. Knowingly or not, his predeliction for speciously organizing all the disruptive elements of contemporary Christian capitalist society he does not like into a single cohesive opposition group has hitched his wagon to the narratives of far right reactionaries and fascists, which is why some of his fans keep showing up to his forums to ask him why he doesn't come out and condemn the international Jewish cabal that controls the world.

I also find his mythology childish and asinine. Magical thinking is central to his personal philosophy, the useful and compelling bits of which are just borrowed common aphorisms like "clean your room," while the rest is just fanciful mythologizing to try to force these phrases into a universal framework describing all human experience. Which is how you end up with complete nonsense like "the feminine dragon of chaos."

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't just misunderstand it. He had the entire fucking judiciary & Canadian union representing lawyers repeatedly telling him & his ilk that no, that's not what the law means or how it can be interpreted yet he kept insisting people are going to go to jail just for not using the preferred nouns of transsexual people, as a way to rile up the bigots (to his own gain).

TCKaos

Oct 26, 2017

You use none of those words and instead show him the faults in their reasoning. Though I'm not well versed in Shapiro, Jordan Peterson's own rallying against postmodern epistemologies itself uses postmodern epistemologies ("meta true", ect) that he only appeals to when he realizes he doesn't have actual evidence. Here's a decent video about that in particular, though it specifically discusses it in the context of religion. Of particular answer is that Jordan Peterson's "most true" form of "meta truth" is "Darwinian truth", which he claims to be a thing (it isn't). "Darwinian Truth" is whatever helps humanity survive, approximately. There's this pretty great example where Peterson is talking to Sam Harris, and Harris offers up the hypothetical example of a mass murderer who is killing anyone who can't recite the Presidents of the United States in the order they served, but he himself is mistaken on the order. Peterson claims that the incorrect order is the truth, since it is what would let someone live, even though it is literally incorrect and untrue.

I very heavily advise you not to make it about social justice, especially in as heavy terms as you're wanting to, since that's going to immediately turn him off to literally anything that you could say to him afterwards to justify it. You sound like you want to characterize them as people who wake up in the morning, wipe their eyes, look in the mirror and tell themselves that it's another great day to laud the white man, which I think is pretty untrue (at least in Peterson's case, maybe not Shapiro's). You'll want to engage him on how their reasoning makes no sense and lacks internal consistency so that they can pass their personal biases as truth. It's how I got my parents to stop listening to Peterson.

Oct 26, 2017
So now you realize his entire claim to fame is a bigoted lie and you think the other stuff is exaggerated? Hm
It's always the same with them. They're all for science and rationality until it goes against them. Then it's hyperbole, exaggerated, twisted etc.

People corrected him countless times, but he never stopped lying about C16.
Don't forget that time he pushed climate change denial on Twitter.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
European here. I'd say the average European despises the shit Jordan Peterson stands for a lot more than the average American.
True lol. Though I had a coworker who raved about his books all the time. I really didn't want to challenege him on it though because we needed to work together closely and he was at the place way, way longer than me.

Falcon

Oct 27, 2017

I think this ContraPoints video does a pretty good job of explaining why Peterson is problematic if you can follow it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LqZdkkBDas&t=1s.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017

See, that's the tough thing about JP. Quick interview excerpts don't really do a lot to characterize him - you can't hand-pick any instances where he says anything outright. He's all about implication, misdirection and roundabout pedantry, because if he were to straight-up say what he means, it would sound awful!

I'm on mobile, but I might post some good stuff when I get home if I remember. It's definitely worth digging into, though. It's amazing how much the sneaky bastard has gotten away with, just by how he frames and says things.

Oct 28, 2017
He didn't misunderstand it. He purposefully misrepresented it.

Can you explain why you find him to be awesome, as per your first post in this thread?
My first impression of him was mostly the same as what I get in this thread. I thought he was an articulate guy who had a thinly veiled bigoted agenda. As someone who naturally leans "left" traditionally as I'm a black man I just didn't want to totally write off what he was saying because I hate the idea that my own bias might prevent me from hearing anyone out. I try to remain open minded. I was first exposed to him through a Joe Rogan interview (I believe you guys mostly consider Joe a complete idiot with an alt right agenda as well based on a thread I saw a while back) and after watching some more interviews I realized that while I didn't agree with everything he said that I didn't feel that his objective was to hurt anyone and that he was a clinical psychologist with a much better understanding of human behavior than me.

I'm not much into politics, but I love human behavior study and I do feel that there are movements going on that aren't grounded in facts, but pure emotion. Compassion with the flip side being hatred for all that oppose that compassion and I do thing it's dangerous. I have an open mind and love for all people in all walks of life, though as quoted above I have some areas of admitted ignorance. I just feel like the guys is offering something valuable and I hope I would be able to detect malicious intent of it was in his speech.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

And this is the brilliance of Jordan Peterson. He is a bigot, but many don't believe it. Let me give just one example to illustrate:

After a violent shooting spree in Toronto, Peterson said "enforced monogamy is a rational solution" to discourage violent incels. That "otherwise, women will all only go for the most high-status men, and that couldn't make either gender happy in the end."He later qualified his meaning as "encouraging monogamy through social norms."

How he packaged that message resulted in a tantalizing debate over whether Jordan Peterson was proposing forced marriages. Sadly, we blew passed his truly bigoted premise that men aren't getting the sex they otherwise would because our culture is beginning to accept a woman's right to non-monogamy.

That's just one example, but he does this all the time. Defending murderous incels should be enough to remove him as a public figure commanding a vast following, but instead he fanned a persecution complex for himself and his fans.

Yet, rational people believe he must be held accountable for all the remaining lies, frauds, and characterizations. His army of angry men ready to blame "a culture under attack" must be called out.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Im curious, any link to this moose rant?

also, it seems whenever I do a Youtube search for Ben Shapiro, the search only bring positive videos about him, what gives?
Him and his followers spam videos with extreme titles like "Ben Shapiro Destroys Crazy Feminist". The YouTube algorithm does the rest.

I just get enough Shapiro stuff from following the Majority Report channel on YouTube as they dunk on the IDW fairly regularly, which also helps with not completely filling my recommendations with utter trash:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Im curious, any link to this moose rant?

also, it seems whenever I do a Youtube search for Ben Shapiro, the search only bring positive videos about him, what gives?
Bc Ben Shapiro is portrayed as a logically driven moderate (LMFAAO) his far right tendencies have plausible deniability from idiots so a lot of youtube loves him. There was another video I wanted to link that's ben shapiro's voice coming from inside a locker but I guess Youtube removed it bc it was hateful:(

And yeah unfortunately I do: but again if your brother is down the rabbit hole he'll agree with this shit. It's just the I identify as an atrack helicopter garbage propagated by an "intellectual"

Oct 28, 2017
And this is the brilliance of Jordan Peterson. He is a bigot, but many don't believe it. Let me give just one example to illustrate:

After a violent shooting spree in Toronto, Peterson said "enforced monogamy is a rational solution" to discourage violent incels. That "otherwise, women will all only go for the most high-status men, and that couldn't make either gender happy in the end." However, he qualified that quote as intending to prompt our culture to "encouraging monogamy through social norms" - not force women to marry men they don't want.

How he packaged that message resulted in a tantalizing debate over whether Jordan Peterson was actually proposing forced marriages. That absurd discussion being one of semantics. Sadly, we then blew passed the truly bigoted teaching that men aren't getting the sex they otherwise would because the culture is shifting away from monogamy. That the right of women to choose non-monogamy is the enemy of the sex you are entitled to.

That's just one example, but he does this all the time. Defending murderous incels should be enough to remove him as a public figure commanding a vast following, but instead he fanned a persecution complex around himself and his fans because he doesn't literally propose forced marriage.

Yet, rational people believe he must be held accountable for all the remaining lies, frauds, and characterizations. His army of angry men ready to blame "a culture under attack" must be called out.
I've seen the guy tell men to get their shit together if they want someone to want them and talk about how people are attracted to competence. If I had only skimmed through some of his interviews and not seen them in depth I might be more inclined to believe a one off quote that could be taken out of context for shock value, but the things he talks about in depth conflict with the things like this that I read here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Just so you know the apple cider thing is almost an exact quote lol. He said it on Joe Rogan's Podcast iirc.

I mean I absolutely believe that someone drinking raw apple cider could wind up getting sick for a few weeks, because, like, sometimes the shit that ferments in there isn't exactly kosher. But hey if there's one thing to be said about food poisoning is that it helps with irregularity (why people care so much about scheduling their shits is a conversation for another time).

To me it's a wonder that he's lived to the ripe old age of 56 at this point. Between his diet and lifestyle of constant aggrievance I figured he'd have Breitbarted himself by now

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen the guy tell men to get their shit together if they want someone to want them and talk about how people are attracted to competence. If I had only skimmed through some of his interviews and not seen them in depth I might be more inclined to believe a one off quote that could be taken out of context for shock value, but the things he talks about in depth conflict with the things like this that I read here.
"one off".
"taken out of context".

Hey. I got BINGO!

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

I see we're at the "You guys just aren't listening to him" part of the circle.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
after watching some more interviews I realized that while I didn't agree with everything he said that I didn't feel that his objective was to hurt anyone and that he was a clinical psychologist with a much better understanding of human behavior than me.

This isn't uncommon and its why many believe in what Peterson says. I've noticed it being brought up in many places (youtube, reddit, etc.) along with citations and his research work despite him speaking on subjects outside his expertise. When it comes to Psychology he sometimes says things that aren't true. I strongly suggest finding time to read the articles by other Psychology Professors in the OP. There's a reason why I only include links in the OP by other academics and especially those in his field who also happen to be his colleagues.

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't uncommon and its why many believe in what Peterson says. I've noticed it being brought up in many places (youtube, reddit, etc.) along with citations and his research work despite him speaking on subjects outside his expertise. When it comes to Psychology he sometimes says things that aren't true. I strongly suggest finding time to read the articles by other Psychology Professors in the OP. There's a reason why I only include links in the OP by other academics and especially those in his field who also happen to be his colleagues.
The piece in The Star by a colleague and former friend of Peterson's is very eye-opening. Too bad they'll ignore and dismiss it alongside every lother legit criticism of the man:
I thought long and hard before writing about Jordan, and I do not do this lightly. He has one of the most agile and creative minds I've ever known. He is a powerful orator. He is smart, passionate, engaging and compelling and can be thoughtful and kind.

I was once his strongest supporter.

That all changed with his rise to celebrity. I am alarmed by his now-questionable relationship to truth, intellectual integrity and common decency, which I had not seen before. His output is voluminous and filled with oversimplifications which obscure or misrepresent complex matters in the service of a message which is difficult to pin down. He can be very persuasive, and toys with facts and with people's emotions. I believe he is a man with a mission. It is less clear what that mission is.

In the end, I am writing this because of his extraordinary rise in visibility, the nature of his growing following and a concern that his ambitions might venture from stardom back to his long-standing interest in politics. I am writing this from a place of sadness and from a sense of responsibility to the public good to tell what I know about who Jordan is, having seen him up close, as a colleague and friend, and having examined up close his political actions at the University of Toronto, allegedly in defence of free speech. When he soared into the stratosphere he became peculiarly unknowable. There is something about the dazzle of the limelight that makes it hard to see him clearly. But people continue to be who they are even in the blinding overexposure of success. I have known Jordan Peterson for 20 years, and people had better know more about who he is.

There is reason to be concerned.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love how that guy upthread wrote bigot with 2 gs. I guess he's used to writing or reading "maggot", that must be the explanation.

We probably had this article shared before about Peterson discovering the NPC meme.
If you want the article source from Peterson's own fingers on the keyboard, it's here.
Apparently it's because he interacted with a French journalist and I'm dying to see the journalist that didn't just roll over like US media is known to do.
I'm late, but it's amazing how this guy is exactly what he complains about: an irrational ideologue so entrenched in his emotion based beliefs that he's not willing to talk or listen, and will resort to insults and fantasized violence.
If he was a woman, he'd call his own condition hysteria.

That "progressive means emotional, conservative means rational" line of thought is so popular while not being grounded in reality. These are mostly a bunch of maladjusted dudes who like breaking eggs while pretending they're making an omelet to justify being assholes.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
Bc Ben Shapiro is portrayed as a logically driven moderate (LMFAAO) his far right tendencies have plausible deniability from idiots so a lot of youtube loves him. There was another video I wanted to link that's ben shapiro's voice coming from inside a locker but I guess Youtube removed it bc it was hateful:(

And yeah unfortunately I do: but again if your brother is down the rabbit hole he'll agree with this shit. It's just the I identify as an atrack helicopter garbage propagated by an "intellectual"

Honestly I think he is deep in the rabbit hole (he even used the term "feminazi"), I think he was trying to find someone to confirm his bias, and that is against Transgender and anything in terms of gender identity that doesn't follow the ones we were raised to know. problem is like me he is Dominican, so this behavior is reinforced by our culture and traditions. he also have a stance against immigration, in our country anyway,so he refers to Haitians wanting to live in our country as an invasion, and check all the boxes when it comes to xenophobic narrative against immigration, in Dominican Republic, the immigration talk is so bad, that I was in a conversation group with my HS friends, and I had to just leave that group because I couldn't just keep tolerating the amount of derogative talk against Haitians that was going on, to the point they were even agreeing when a Dictator order a Massacre around 70 years ago.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

One off quote? I posted a link to a whole interview. To further back my point, here is his idiotic response. Let's paraphrase the moron for those on the elevator:

The facts prove men are more violent than ever because of our shifting non-monogamous culture. My critics are liars and just can't handle the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.