• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Classic Josef.

During an interview with IGN about his work on A Way Out and the upcoming It Takes Two, Fares mentions that he doesn't particularly care about consoles, though he is happy with how powerful the Xbox Series X/S and PlayStation 5 are. However, this quickly leads into a sudden rant about the Xbox Series X's name, and Fares doesn't hide how ridiculous he thinks it is.

'That's a f**king confusing name. What the f**k's going on with Microsoft? They're losing it, man. What the f**k is going on? Like Series S, X, Mex, Next. I mean, who knows this? Come on. Madness. Call it the Microsoft Box and that's it. I don't know. It's a total f**king mess. Trust me, even them, they're confused in their offices. What is this X, S… I don't know, what the f**k.'

metro.co.uk

Director Josef Fares rips into Microsoft over Xbox Series X name

Never one to hide his feelings, director Josef Fares calls Microsoft’s decision to name its new console the Xbox Series X a total mess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's not wrong. The name scheme for the last couple Xbox models has been extremely stupid.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I still get tripped up on it too, not the S and X part, that I get and is easy. S is weak, X is strong. Easy. It's the series S and One S stuff. Like when people refer to their S or X, I don't know what one they mean. Watching a video on LTT the other day about emulation on the Xbox S I didn't know if it was a Series S or One S. It's just confusing as shit for no reason. It's worse than the Wii to Wii U because at least then, for people in the know, you know the Wii U was the newer one because it had the U on it.

If I just say "I'm loving my X" you have no clue what box I mean.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think the names are confusing for sure. However, what is done is done. In a year the confusion will have subsided for nearly everyone.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The naming convention is weird but that OP really reads like it's eating away at him lol.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I'm sorry, but he's right. I love a lot of the decisions that MS has been taking as of late, but the whole S/X/Series S/Series X naming is pretty terrible.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Haha. I love the guy, but seriously, if you can't tell the difference between these consoles, you shouldn't be allowed out of the house, let alone go shopping for luxury consumer items. It's not difficult.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
He's right, and I'm sure many people will tell him he's wrong like they did everyone else who was saying that here. Someone get that Call of Duty box pic. I get the whole logic behind not wanting to be "behind" PS5 in a naming sense (if that's even true, who knows) but there had to have been something easier. They'll be fine in the long run though.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's not wrong. It's like MS goes out of their way to come up with the most confusing names possible.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They had a good opportunity to name this round of Xbox systems Xbox Two S and Xbox Two X.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just need to stick to a naming scheme.

Xbox to Xbox 2 would've been fine.
Xbox 360 to Xbox 720 would've been fine
Xbox One to Xbox Two would've been fine
Xbox Series S|X 2020 to Xbox Series S|X 2027 (or whatever) will be fine

But they keep changing it every gen with zero consistency.

In the end, it's virtually a non-issue, but please, PLEASE, don't try something other than "Series" for the next consoles. I actually really like the idea of going the "car model" route with future Series S|X consoles. Just put a year in front of it when you announce it and be done with it.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Hyperbolic take from Hyperbolic Man. News at 6. It is at worst mildly confusing.

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong. The naming convention MS has chosen is a complete fucking mess. Why choose 2 similar sounding letters like S and X?

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
X-Box names have been stupid starting all the way back to the 360 (which they didn't want to call the "X-Box 2", lest it be seen as 1 worse than the PS3, or something).

And it's only gotten worse over time.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's *great*, but I also don't think it merits *quite* such a strong reaction!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, it can leave you a bit tongue tied for a moment but I imagine it will pass eventually. I think it will make more sense in the long term when they do Series X2, Series S2 or who knows. Series X Elite, Series S 2024. Lol.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, he made Brothers?!? I like that game. I'd sort of written him off as just a lunatic that curses on TV...

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
So, needless to say, Hazelight just dropped off Microsoft's potential acquisition/partnership list. ;)

In all seriousness, this is classic Josef, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I think the name is fine but they gotta stop using S and X after this gen. I still like the Xbox Infinite name thrown around a few years back, or Alpha and Omega.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
He is totally not professional and pretty melodramatic, but I like him. I just hope he keeps the drama to video games and doesn't start going into politics or something, because I could definitely see him causing controversy.