• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Many game players see EA as the evil corporation of gaming – a company that puts profit in front of anything else.

Behind the scenes, however, EA isn't all bad. Sure, the microtransactions in Battlefront 2 were misjudged, but the company is also responsible for some business decisions that are great for gaming as a whole.

For example, it gives all the indie games it publishes 100% of the profits. It helps get them to market and doesn't take a penny for the workload.

We got the chance to speak with A Way Out director Josef Fares, and he says people would be surprised with how well EA treats him.

"I would love to release some internal emails," Fares said. "I think people would be jaw-dropping surprised if they saw the internal emails – at least the way I'm being treated by EA. Super good support".

VG247.com

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also heard Angry Joe was talking about that 100% of profits thing during the YT E3 panel after EAs conf. Guess it's true.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
still treating the customers like shit tho.
ive also heard their non indie employees have great working conditions

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I can only think of three indie games they have published though: Unravel, Fe and Unravel 2? EDIT: And A Way Out obviously.

And these games eventually end up on EA & Origin Access, so I'm assuming that's where EA ends up benefiting.

Jun 1, 2018
Yeah but what about all the studios EA treated badly over the last 10 years? We have lots of reports by former devs.
I dont think they treated Maxis, Bullfrog, Westwood, Pandemic etc. very well and now they are closed down.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I can only think of three indie games they have published though: Unravel, Fe and Unravel 2?

And these games eventually end up on EA & Origin Access, so I'm assuming that's where EA ends up benefiting.
As far as I know, last gen it was The Fancy Pants Adventures, but it was shit. That was the first game I saw have EA Indie initiative.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
So, what's in it for them other than PR? I don't get it.

I mean I'm glad they're doing it but if they're giving the studios 100% of the profit, it doesn't seem like a very EA thing to do.

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I legitimately believe him. While EA has big issues, I tend to think they're more with business decisions than how they treat developers (though the fact crunch culture still exists there and is prominent sucks but that's another topic for another day)

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't doubt that one bit.
The problem is how they mismanage their own studios and treat their customers.

But their indie initiative is certainly a bright spot.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I can only think of three indie games they have published though: Unravel, Fe and Unravel 2? EDIT: And A Way Out obviously.

I don't think Unravel actually counts within this particular context as it was greenlit in the period between EA Partners and EA Originals, so unlike the titles under those umbrellas (such as A Way Out), EA owns both the games themselves and the IP instead of just having publishing rights for x years. Honestly, I feel bad for Coldwood that it got a raw deal simply because of bad timing.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying the Unravel games aren't indies, but rather that, in terms of the underlying business arrangement, EA appears to view them differently to titles produced through EA Partners/Originals.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know. EA have published some of the best indie games I've played in recent years. Unravel is one of them .Beautiful game and fun to play too and I'm glad they also supported the sequel.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Thats Fuck the Oscars guy, right? He seems pretty candid so I'm obligated to take his word for it

Doesn't completely cleanse EA, but it's good to know they're doing that for indie companies

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Like EasyAllies said, this seems like a good gesture on their part or just some sort of tax breaks we don't know about.

Either way, it's good thing for indie developers.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad that they're doing that about the indies, but that doesn't make me feel any less jaded about their microtransactions (in dead space 3 particularly) or bitter about them closing Visceral

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah they have their 2-3 token "indie" announcements that save their boring e3 presentations...so obv. they arent going to treat them too bad lol.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Just getting 'em ready for the pot.

giphy.gif

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
They buy devs and drive them into the ground, they treat consumers like trash, so glad they can do one thing right.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
While we were hardly capital-I Indie (but very much independent, nevertheless), when I worked at Rebellion on a game for EA I was very pleasantly surprised by how robust their support network was, and they were by far the most helpful publisher's QA department I ever worked with.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Devs overall seem to think that EA is a nice place to work in. Maybe being good for your devs means that you need more money from customers?

Some 3rd world country devs who shamelessly molest their workers but make good games are worshipped, meanwhile companies that treat their workers well or at least like a human being...

EA hate is fucking sad herd mentality. Ya'll follow the ram who yells the loudest...

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If said Indies are under the EA umbrella, then they really shouldn't be called Indies?

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
EA treats their own people well, but they don't give two shits about anyone else. In other words, they're a business

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
We already got a comparison with violent criminal groups in this thread. Fucking really?

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
Just don't let them buy you and you're good as a studio. For consumers it's a different story.