• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
Well they need lot of games to fill the gamepass. They picked up right studios in Obsidian and Double Fine. They can crank out quality games with smaller scope pretty fast.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
tenor.gif

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
How many project is this studio working on?

Grounded / Avowed / Outer world/ and now new project?

Hope they dont spread themselves too thin, I want avowed to deliver.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It definitely feels like MS is leaning hard into Obsidian, this could be amazing.

His credits include according to IMDB (I assume this is him?):
www.imdb.com

Josh Sawyer | Director, Additional Crew, Writer

Known for: Pentiment, Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity

Director
2018 Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (Video Game)
2015 Pillars of Eternity: The White March (Video Game)
2015 Pillars of Eternity (Video Game)
2010 Fallout: New Vegas (Video Game) (as J.E. Sawyer)

My guess is that he is directing Outer Worlds 2, and the game will go full AAA big budget open-world, and go full-tilt Fallout: New Vegas Spiritual successor. If Avowed is Obsidian's Skyrim, then it would make sense for them to make two similar games using the same tech/emgine.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely feels like MS is leaning hard into Obsidian, this could be amazing.

www.imdb.com

Director

My guess, he is directing Outer Worlds 2, and the game will go full AAA big budget open-world.
Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky will be directing Outer Worlds 2

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

www.imdb.com

Director

My guess, he is directing Outer Worlds 2, and the game will go full AAA big budget open-world.
Absolutely, though I don't think this investment is unique to Obsidian. Ninja Theory has 3 teams, Playground now has 2 (and may gear up to 3 this generation), Inexile have ~3 (though supposedly consolidating into 1 after Wasteland 3 releases), Doublefine have 2-3.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I believe there was a quote from Microsoft around the time the Outer Worlds released, that they think it can be a major franchise for them going forward.

So yeah, I think a big budget Outer Worlds sequel is a good bet. And honestly, I'd love to see it. Most of my issues around The Outer Worlds are related to things that were obviously budgetary in nature. I like the setting, like the characters, like the writing - wanted something bigger and more fleshed out.

Going to Halcyon only for virtually all of the buildings to be cordoned off, was depressing.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
NGL, best news I've read all day.

I guess we'll have to wait for a few years to see Microsoft's money at work, but at least it looks like they are being afforded a ton of freedom. So far most of their recent output has been very obviously constrained by budget.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky will be directing Outer Worlds 2

I see, fair enough.

I doubt that, with him only have a supervising/advicing role for Outer Worlds 2. I would expect him to direct a more personal project, rather then continue someone else's work.

It would be nuts if they take on a fourth project. I suppose Grounded is smaller and could remain with a small support team.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nuts if they take on a fourth project. I suppose Grounded is smaller and could remain with a small support team.

The workload that project means should be dependent on the state and size of it. Based on what he has written on his blog, I wouldn't expect that his project have come that far yet, which right now could means different states of preproduction, made with a smaller team, or perhaps even just himself?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy to see this. Seeing he wasn't on Avowed, even despite it being a Pillars spin-off, honestly had me worried he might be leaving Obsidian soon.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The workload that project means should be dependent on the state and size of it. Based on what he has written on his blog, I wouldn't expect that his project have come that far yet, which right now could means different states of preproduction, made with a smaller team, or perhaps even just himself?

Totally, this could be super early. Perhaps he's just working on game pitches.

Still, if avowed is still 2-3 years off, I expect Outer Worlds 2 to be 3-4+ years out, would this fourth project begin dev in the next year, and develop alongside the other two (to release 5+ years from now)? If MS wants Obsidian to release a game every 1.5 to 2 years, that's probably how you do it. I suppose I also wonder what the scope of this project would be. I would expect the Studio Design Director to helm the biggest project at the studio.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Is that the right expecation? He writes in detail what the position entails, and with that in mind, I'm surprised that he even has an 'own' project on top of that workload.

That's true, he does sound swamped already, and it does make more sense for him to be doing something smaller. Although, it sounds like any project he'd work on would still be an RPG, and that would still be a ton of work.

From his work description, it does sound like he's making room to work on something outside of the project oversight tasks.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
How large a team are Obsidian then? They are churning out great games left right and centre.
I think they are less than 300. This is definitely going to be MS strategy. Every year 10-15 AA games with some of them having service elements like Sea of Thieves & Grounded. Combined with 2-3 of major AAA release. Microsoft's strategy will be to have content which is engaging for longer period rather than something like Last of Us or Ghost of Tsushima which take 4-5 years to make and doesn't have that long term engagement. This types of games will come from 3rd parties. The opposite of what Sony is doing right now. Sony depends upon 3rd parties for those Destinies, call of duties, etc. This is why Sony is chasing them.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm glad to see them return to AAA, but man I really hope his project isn't as "clone-y" as Avowed. Avowed looks kinda dope but it has "Microsoft's Skyrim!" written all over it in that trailer, which is cool because we know Obsidian does Fallout better than Bethesda (Outer Worlds) so Avowed will surely be the intellectual version of Skyrim too... but I wanna see them go nuts again with what they did with Alpha Protocol, but succeed with the mechanics this time. I really want to see some bold takes from them, now that they have the security of a publisher. And my reluctance stems from the notion that Microsoft might've said no to a lot of good ideas but not the one that looked like Skyrim, because that's typical Publisher mentality.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see them return to AAA, but man I really hope his project isn't as "clone-y" as Avowed. Avowed looks kinda dope but it has "Microsoft's Skyrim!" written all over it in that trailer, which is cool because we know Obsidian does Fallout better than Bethesda (Outer Worlds) so Avowed will surely be the intellectual version of Skyrim too... but I wanna see them go nuts again with what they did with Alpha Protocol, but succeed with the mechanics this time. I really want to see some bold takes from them, now that they have the security of a publisher. And my reluctance stems from the notion that Microsoft might've said no to a lot of good ideas but not the one that looked like Skyrim, because that's typical Publisher mentality.
From the reports and interviews we got so far it doesnt seem MS is doing that.

Fargo from a interview last month

"I knew what I wanted to do next. It was a category we loved, it was a unique opportunity in the marketplace, and I had all the ancillary information as to why I felt it was a great idea. I prepared the whole thing, I sat with Matt and said here is what we want to do, and he said 'if that's what you want to do, then great'. It was over in like 60 seconds. That was wild for me, because we're used to this six month process of back-and-forth with a million questions -- with things like 'how many pieces of art will there be?'

"I had to go back to Matt a second time and go: 'I just want to be sure that you understood that this is what we're doing.' And he said: 'I love the idea so much that I don't want to see anything, so that you guys over-index on what I say and think you have to change it in some capacity.' That's a true story."

Last edited: