• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Josh Sawyer on the Possibility of a Pillars of Eternity 3 After the Low Sales of Deadfire (Compared to the Original PoE)

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
As a big RTwP fan, I found the combat in the first game acceptable but I found the world and characters bland. I didn’t finish and never paid attention to the sequel until it got great reviews. Maybe I’ll give it a shot someday.

Cripterion

Oct 27, 2017
Me too.

Sad to see this game didn't get success and we're getting games like Outer Worlds instead :(

I like the gameplay of DoS games and while I own both, I coudln't stomach the setting, the story of those games so never finished them, don't think I even got to ACT 2 of DoS 2.

I finished Tyranny, PoE & PoE 2 and love every minute of it. I'm not a fan of RTwP and I initially stopped my playthrough of Pillars 2 and restarted and finished the game with the turn based patch. If you love good stories and settings, these games are a treat imo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or do quite a few sequels to crowfunded games do poorly? I'd guess it's because they don't have the same hype from the community due to not being crowdfunded, and that's a problem because they're usually in comparatively niche genres.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% a combination of "Lack of clarity about what made this distinct" and "not at the forefront of a new funding hype train". PoE was one of the most prominent examples of "a 'long forgotten' genre done in AAA quality you remember only made possible by this newfangled Kickstarter thing" as a plus, and then Deadfire ditched that and confusingly marketed itself. It genuinely took me a few months of passive awareness to even realize it was an honest to goodness sequel, and not just another White March-esque expac.

All the stuff about the systems is besides the point; people still bought the first game en masse. I might be able to see DOS2 taking some of the air from the room, but it came out several months apart. CRPGs are big, sure, but they're not MMOs.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or do quite a few sequels to crowfunded games do poorly? I'd guess it's because they don't have the same hype from the community due to not being crowdfunded, and that's a problem because they're usually in comparatively niche genres.
That was a problem Stoic hit with the release of The Banner Saga 2. They went back to kickstarter for the third game not just to get funding, but to help rally their support and increase engagement.

Follow-up: If narrative tone of Deadfire its reception New
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Follow up post on the narrative tone of Deadfire possibly impacting its reception:

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Since I own PoE and not Deadfire while wanting to play it I'll say my main reason is I didn't finish the very last portion of PoE though I loved my PotD playthrough. Therefore I can't justify paying the relatively high price for Deadfire while still having a few hours left of the first game.