• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Pillars 3 would have to come from internal excitement to work on a CRPG again
  • OP
    OP
    Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
    Relevant update on the matter:

Frog Helms Fan Club

Hello, I don't play many games. I never played Baldur's Gate or any of those kinds of RPGs. I played PoE while on quarantine and am immediately hooked. The story and world building is so fantastic. I…

Thanks. I don't think the fans need to convince me/Obsidian/MS of anything. Your support is always heard and appreciated. I think that we need to believe that if we try to make a game in this style again, the existing fans will enjoy it, new players will enjoy it, and ex-fans who were disappointed by Pillars 1 and/or 2 will come back to it. On top of all that, we need to be excited about making it.

Even devs who really enjoy working in the Pillars universe were burned out after the end of Deadfire, especially if they went on to work on the DLCs. To put in all of that work and have the game limp over the finish line, sales-wise, doesn't get people jazzed up about rolling on to a sequel.

Ultimately I think this is a matter if internal will and belief rather than something that requires external validation.

On achievement stats
  • OP
    OP
    Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
    A thread in response to achievement stats:

Unrolled here if twitter isn't an option:
    threadreaderapp.com

Thread by @jesawyer: A recurring trend in The Discourse about why Deadfire performed badly, commercially, is the examination of Steam Achievements for the first…

Thread by @jesawyer: A recurring trend in The Discourse about why Deadfire performed badly, commercially, is the examination of Steam Achieveor the first game. This type of analysis is not unique to Deadfire, but it exposes some confirmation bias when yo…