• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I thought about running up the stairs of a really tall building to gas him out, but then I realised I can't run for shit and would probably keel over half way up...also, if I did get to the top and the many stairs didn't stop Brock, then it'd be an F5 off the roof of a really tall building. So, onto plan B.

Brock is large. I am small. Brock, while a monster of a man, is still only a man and would be unable to smash through solid brickwork. So, I'd find a really tight alleyway between buildings and wait it out. Assuming Brock doesn't go hire a wrecking ball, I should be fine.

Last resort; Brock seems like the kind of guy with Strong Opinions about grilling. So, I'd buy a bunch of prime cuts, set up a grill and poorly cook expensive meat, then when he shows up draw him into a lengthy conversation about how to best sear wagyu.
I do like these answers. Brock doesn't seem like a grilling debater though...
That's really too easy if other vehicles are allowed.

Even on foot I can make it to where I work pretty easily in 5 hours where I could lock myself in an old bank vault or behind multiple steel/keycard locked doors in a maze of a building.
But couldn't Brock just smash through them all?

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Jericho needs to go on a win streak to catch up to Kip Sabian in the rankings.

If Cody's tattoo was on his bicep no one would care, but the neck? THE NECK?

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
More than 24 hours removed; I still think this is the best 30 dollar PPV you could ask for.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Sonny Onoo making a run at Carnie of the year

Carny as hell. Wonder who they could get to replace him. Too late to bring in some other exclusive japanese legend due to time needed for VISA's. They may be able to get someone already in town but that doesn't have the same appeal since they're probably working some other show which is less impactful then being the only show Muta is wrestling at.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I really enjoyed Revolution overall. I feel like as emotional payoff for the build that they've been developing it worked in that respect. Here are my totally unsolicited match ratings and explanations.

The Dark Order (Evil Uno and Stu Grayson) (with Alex Reynolds and John Silver) defeated SoCal Uncensored (Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky) - 2.5 stars - This match bubbled to just above 'ehhh' status. The match needed to do two things primarily. Establish that the cool dads who let you eat ice cream for dinner will stick together (to serve as an emotional contrast for The Elite) and to emphatically disprove that Christopher Daniels is The Exalted One. The match did both things but nothing more than that. Aside from inverting McMahon's "It was me all along" entrance nothing really clever or new happened here. It did what it needed to and didn't outright suck. Not the thing to encourage last minute PPV buys.

Jake Hager defeated Dustin Rhodes by submission - 1.25 stars - This match fucking sucked. Everyone looked like shit in this match. If you showed someone this match in a vacuum and said 'they signed Dustin' it wouldn't make sense. The match didn't tell any kind of compelling story and the action didn't mount in any kind of compelling way. There was no reason for Dustin, the babyface, to attack/kiss Hager's wife. It felt like throwback to Attitude bullshit. Also, we get it Hager has had a few MMA matches. Jesus.

Darby Allin defeated Sammy Guevara - 3.5 stars - I wish they had given these lovely, suicidal boys more time to die for this business. I was pretty sure at one point that Darby had eaten his last shit sandwich and was doomed and they absolutely got their shit in. Fast, breathless and fun this match more than other match makes the case for a TV title. Darby and Sammy are growing stars and a TV title would let them exploit their current momentum.

Kenny Omega and Adam Page (c) defeated The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) - 5 stars - Flat-out perfect. One of the talking points over the last year has been Hangman needed another year in Japan. This match seemed like the proof that all he needed was a year, it didn't matter where that year was. His work since Full Gear culminated with this match. There were moments in the match that were obviously calculated to draw boos but instead netted cheers because of how invested the audience is in Hangman's journey and how much they believe Hangman has been wronged. Hangman spit in Matt's face and the crowd was with that shit. Hangman and Kenny's work was magical throughout the match. Hangman and Matt divorcing themselves. Nick joining in and divorcing himself of Hangman. Kenny desperately trying to remain competitive while not having every relationship shatter. By the time we got Hangman's One Winged Angel and the teased attack I was emotionally spent. Amazing.

Nyla Rose (c) defeated Kris Statlander - 1.75 stars - Statlander looked slow and foggy. Timing was off and sequences came off as plodding, as if done in mud. This match needed to establish Nyla as a dangerous champ and Statlander as permanently in orbit of the title. It did neither. Both have had significantly better matches in the promotion. Nyla's match with Riho where she won the title was an absolute banger and it made the case for her as champ. A match this weak so soon after says 'maybe it was a fluke and she was wasn't ready.' If Statlander was still getting from under the flu they could have offered Nyla another opponent and used it to build story between Nyla and Kris Stat.

MJF (with Wardlow) defeated Cody (with Arn Anderson and Brandi Rhodes) - 2.25 stars - This match fucking killed me. I am now deceased. There has been no louder advocate for Cody than me. Every match he has had in AEW until this one has been great. He's told great stories, helped build new stars and made a case for the slow, deliberate style he favors. Cody does slow and intentional better than Randy Orton. I didn't just expect this match to move MJF to the title picture I expected it to make him a STAR. It didn't. When Downstait's entrance droned on and on. I thought the only possible end to it was that MJF go up the ramp with Wardlow and attack Cody. It seemed designed to be one more moment for MJF to ruin of Cody's. One more thing MJF could take from him. No. Instead he stood there in the ring looking like an absolute asshole while Downstait did their pitchy, out of key entrance. The only sequence in the match that seemed committed to emotionally paying off interactions between Cody and MJF was when Cody whipped MJF. That's it. Aside from that we got that MJF is dick who wins by hitting people with his diamond ring. He didn't even get the ring from Wardlow as he did in the match with Jungle Boy. He just got it out of his trunks, hit him and they collapsed. So instead of any number of spots they could have done to do to cement MJF as a star it just limped across the finish line. Folks, have I not just watched enough MJF matches? Is he a notably OK worker carried by his talking? Was the match just too fucking long? I am stymied. What went wrong?

Pac defeated Orange Cassidy (with Chuck Taylor and Trent) by submission - 4.5 motherfucking stars - Orange Cassidy has always seemed like his own biggest doubter. In the Kenny Johnson documentary about Orange Cassidy he described himself as an "OK wrestler". He is most definitely not an OK wrestler. He is a great wrestler and the joy in watching an OC match is watching how the gimmick is multi-dimensional and how much fun it is to see him work with a great talent. From Orange Cassidy's half-assed pyro it was evident that this was a gimmick that could work on the national stage. Like, this guy is OVER. He is Cody levels of over. Add to that PAC was obviously game for the bullshit that would be required in the early match there was a recipe for magic. For me, the thing that sits with me is that Orange Cassidy made a Superman punch look awesome. I've never screamed and clapped at a Superman Punch. It's weird because this match did what the previous match was supposed to. It established one of the participants as a fully realized star who rightfully belongs in the title picture. The endgame for Moxley's reign (whenever that may be) is likely either PAC or MJF. I now emphatically hope it is PAC because that means we would likely get a PAC and OC rematch for the title and I am here for that.

Jon Moxley defeated Chris Jericho (c) (with Santana and Ortiz) - 4 stars - These guys had to follow that PAC and Orange Cassidy match, a thankless task. Fortunately they were up to it. This felt like a fusion of the kind of matches that both guys have been putting on in Japan. From Jericho grabbing a camera to a piece of the barricade being grabbed to be used as a weapon this felt like a greatest hits compilation but decidedly not in a bad way. Moxley's entrance from the street felt potent, earned. Like he was growing more powerful from entering further back. It totally worked. This match also cemented Aubrey as a star as well. The 360 ejection which resulted in the entire arena chanting for the ref momentarily cements her as one of the best in the world at her craft if not the best. The eyepatch reveal was timed perfectly and something that felt inevitable but totally felt great. Moxley's postmatch interview in-ring felt very New Japan in it's execution. Glad to see that AEW understands their audience wants the catharsis of an in-ring interview after a title change and I hope they stick to it. I want to mainline Moxley's absolute euphoria after winning the title. His 'Hey, what the fuck?' helped set the tone for his reign and I am here for a cool dad who also kicks all the asses. Only thing missing was his SON.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel the Muta thing does indeed hurt GCW but I got to say I'm enjoying the carny spectacle of this drama more then I probably would the match since Muta would only be able to do so much at this point.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Listening to Post Wrestling's Revolution review, and man, that PAC vs Cassidy match really was awesome. They suggested that OC should be AEW's Brock Lesnar and only wrestle on PPVs lol

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
you fucking marks

this is all a build to Sonny vs. Janela at Spring Break

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

This is amazing

Deep in the carny hole

tumblr_ovnpguPPw31u1urgoo1_400.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I think the one thing people don't criticize enough when talking about the downsides of a NJPW/AEW partnership is how bad AEW has set an example with AAA.

They won't let AAA use any of their talent on US shows (which I think massively screwed them over), they barely promote any of AAA's talent outside of Lucha Bros and one off appearances by Laredo Kid and they won't even reference that Kenny is their singles champion or even let him come out with the belt outside of the usually pretty tepid Dark show on youtube in every once in awhile or a blue moon. Only once currently has it been defended in AEW, actually.

You seriously get the feeling AEW or rather Tony Khan looks down on them when they should be an asset. AAA aren't ever taking over the united states or getting a big stake in it and they treated AEW like a big deal in Mexico.

AAA might be a crazy train ride but I think they deserve better than what they've got out of this.

AAA wants a stronger toehold in the US. AAA having a stronger toehold in the US does not fuck with Tony Khan's business. The hardcores will consume both and the TV casuals will still default to Khan's product. When they have brought in AAA talent other than the Lucha Bros they've not really made them look like stars (Laredo Kid and Faby Apache). AAA is full of stars and AEW absolutely benefit from the relationship if they took seriously. Why don't they get it? More and more it just seems like "this is the way we got Pentagon and Fenix". More than any relationship with a Japanese promotion I want them to take their existing lucha relationship seriously.

One of MLW's "watertight" contracts about to be tested again, lol
Yes, we need some Ol' Mancer action on TNT ASAP!

I'm really fucking torn. I want to see both of these guys get paid and get a national stage because I think the gimmicks will work at that level but I really want to see them to start bringing in some blue chip talent that ain't so white and treating them like blue chip talent. In a year people are gonna be fighting over Treehouse Lee. Don't doom him to a shitty Court Bauer contract or Largo. Also all the pieces are in place for AJ Gray. He is a main eventer and young AF. Make the move. Queen Aminata has looked fantastic over the last year. Great in-ring, oozes charisma and has IT. I know they wanna make movez with some of their new TV money but movez don't have to be just white dudez.

Nick "Definitely not mad that New Japan has never called him" Aldis.

Looking forward to Scurll knocking the belt off this fucking nerd at The Crockett Cup.

WWE is giving away Asuka vs Shayna for free. Jesus christ this company is dumb.

This match will take less time than you will take spellchecking your post about the results. DarkstarIV you may reach your final form with how mad this match will make you.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't already tell how fucked in the head Sonny is, he actually wants to go to Wrestlemania

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Is the March OT up yet? Also just getting caught up on this Sonny/Muta shit. Man fuck that. Muta is only a draw for the look now. Ain't nobody going to Spring Break to just see him. Fuck that noise.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hope PAC and Lucha Bros. are actually a thing but talk about dudes who don't actually need each other.

I'm there for the matches but they need to do something for Lucha Bros. stat because they are so aimless right now.

And I say this as someone who likes the Best Friends more than most.
Same with Private Party.

They've gotten pretty popular but they mostly just wander from one match to another, no promos or storylines.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Sonny thought GCW was some sort of desperate indie he could take advantage of.

They ain't falling for that shit.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The character work from Matt Jackson during Revolution got me wondering, has there ever been a established tag team where one member turned heel and they continued on? I'm not talking about teams that split due to this either. I find it interesting that tag teams are usually treated as one voice, but in this instance only Matt is being the asshole, but he's not against Nick.

Oct 8, 2019
The character work from Matt Jackson during Revolution got me wondering, has there ever been a established tag team where one member turned heel and they continued on? I'm not talking about teams that split due to this either. I find it interesting that tag teams are usually treated as one voice, but in this instance only Matt is being the asshole, but he's not against Nick.

Lex Luger and Sting in the mid 90's, Lex Luger turned heel because he hated Hulk Hogan but was still friends with Sting. In their tag matches Lex Luger would do heelish things but Sting wouldn't notice. Lex Luger turned babyface at uncensored because they were about to have the NWO storyline where Lex Luger would doubt Sting, and Sting would leave because he felt betrayed by the fact that Luger didn't stand by him like he had stood by Luger.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Lex Luger and Sting in th mid 90's, where Lex Luger was a heel who hated Hogan and was aligned with the Dungeon of Doom but was still friends with Sting. In their tag matches Lex Luger would do heelish things but Sting wouldn't notice. Lex Luger turned babyface at uncensored because they were about to have the NWO storyline where Lex Luger would doubt Sting, and Sting would leave because he felt betrayed by the fact that Luger didn't stand by him like he had stood by Luger.
Oh man, yes! That shit was so corny lol. Hilarious to go back and watch now.

Status
Not open for further replies.