• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
Mauro has always been this way. It's more noticeable now because he's on a weekly show that a not-insignificant amount of people watch, which he never was before.

He continues to be this way because being this way has gotten him all the paydays and opportunities he's gotten so why change?
he wasn't like that back when he was commentating PRIDE with Rutten.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
He's running out of prime material at this point to be fair! Dude has been with NXT for a long time now, so glad he was able to come back from the Graves stuff. Even if some of the quotes get insanely stupid it's great to see someone who clearly loves wrestling in a position to help promote it on US television.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He wasn't so bad doing NJPW on AXS, slightly more restrained to fit the sports-style presentation. But whenever I hear him now, he just seems to have gotten so carried away with the nicknames, the alliteration, the pop culture references, etc. It sounds corny, so I guess it's a great fit for current WWE.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I know they won't do it because they sell a bunch of merch, but they need to either give TUE some significant time off or break them up. A lot of what made NXT work was that we got fresh match-ups as people "graduated" to the main roster. You don't get that now that NXT is its own brand, but you can still cycle people out. There's too many talented people working down in Largo for shit to be this stale. TUE have been at the top of the card for like two years now and I'm just done with it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I know they won't do it because they sell a bunch of merch, but they need to either give TUE some significant time off or break them up. A lot of what made NXT work was that we got fresh match-ups as people "graduated" to the main roster. You don't get that now that NXT is its own brand, but you can still cycle people out. There's too many talented people working down in Largo for shit to be this stale. TUE have been at the top of the card for like two years now and I'm just done with it.

There's zero reason to break up TUE whatsoever

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Tag title match was awesome and more than delivered. Definitely a MOTY candidate. The other 2 hyped matches on Dynamite didn't really deliver what the hype would have you believe. Mox/Cobb was what we saw in the G1, alright but nothing blowaway and the cage match was good but nothing special. The cage itself looked great though and the moonsault was crazy, though I wish he milked it a little instead of going so quickly.

NXT was pretty trash. After a great takeover that was a momentum stopping show. There's a real correlation between the quality of a particular NXT show and how many NXT UK guys are on the show.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda like the Stardom No People Gate card. Love that they're doing a mini royal rumble match plus a lumberjack main event. Should be fun. Plus it's starting at 6:30 Pacific time, much better for me than the NJPW shows.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
The way NXT has been lately there isn't anything they could do to make those lads more exciting on their own. They are better off keeping TUE together.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While we are still somehow talking about sci-fi, have any of you nerds read The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin?

I know I am late on it, but being about half way through the book, holy shit. It is pretty fucking intensely compelling.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I love seeing Sammy do wrestling shit in 'street clothes', everything he does looks awesome and for some reason seeing wrestlers do moves in their regular clothes just enhances the cool factor for me.

That flippy shit from last week was awesome as.

AEW going so good, hyped show that actually delivered. Cody! What was the rush?? lol, awesome. I say this a lot but I find myself actually looking forward to Dynamite. Like, thinking about it earlier in the day anticipating it, what a novel concept for an entertainment show.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Tag title match was awesome and more than delivered. Definitely a MOTY candidate. The other 2 hyped matches on Dynamite didn't really deliver what the hype would have you believe. Mox/Cobb was what we saw in the G1, alright but nothing blowaway and the cage match was good but nothing special. The cage itself looked great though and the moonsault was crazy, though I wish he milked it a little instead of going so quickly.

NXT was pretty trash. After a great takeover that was a momentum stopping show. There's a real correlation between the quality of a particular NXT show and how many NXT UK guys are on the show.

I agree with your feelings about AEW Dynamite and think it's more in line with how more casual viewers would view the show as well. That said, I'm happy there are still people who felt this was the best episode of Dynamite ever.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV

Everyone was so happy back then

8880b0e19f75b30fde643dfe1605fb80.jpg

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Ishii and Shingo are going in HARD
Ishii sold like a statue for the first half of the match. Like not budging from Shingo's elbows at all. Made a good story for Shingo to overcome by gradually making Ishii crumble over time. And those chops that turned into forearm strikes across the throat must have been a pain to take.

Oct 25, 2017
While we are still somehow talking about sci-fi, have any of you nerds read The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin?

I know I am late on it, but being about half way through the book, holy shit. It is pretty fucking intensely compelling.
Yep, it gets really great at about 66% through, so you have more to look forward to. Probably the best recent sci-fi book ever.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking sci-fi stuff I'll veer to the other end of this real quick for a fantasy novel rec: The Black Tides of Heaven. It's a queer fantasy novel set in a self described "silk punk" version of a fantasy setting. I appreciated the focus on characters and moments and the world building coming from that rather than belaboring the details of the world to make it come to life. Might not be everyone's taste but I appreciated it as a change of pace and -- yo. You get to support a queer author writing cool stuff. It's a series. I've only read the first book. Quick read, but I really enjoyed it!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sincere question, when did Mauro become bad? Was he always bad and his charm just wore off or did he lean into an aspect of his presentation that is awful and let the good slip away?

I think he just leaned into it way too hard. His NJPW commentary was probably his best mix of calling the match with a reference here and there.

I personally still like him as a commentator but there are times where it's a bit much. His boxing commentary was extremely on point though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
When he was coughing around the time when they were talking about Ishii, it was so bad that I wondered if he went to a doctor or not.

I think he mentioned he was at the hospital recently. As he should be, this shit's been going on since the Tokyo Dome.

Unfortunately he obviously doesn't realize that he's not going to recover if he keeps doing 3 1+ hour podcasts every week. Being "on" and talking into a mic for that long is like torture for a sore throat, it's completely different from regular conversation, yet he keeps soldiering through. No surprise he still sounds like shit nearly 2 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.