• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one reason why Wild Zero rules

giphy.gif

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
SD so boring, just the same shit over and over.

Best bit was how happy D-Bry looked coming out there with Birdie. <3

Show needs more Otis.

And ugh they're doing Bayley vs Lacey at WM aren't they? :| I miss Sasha. :(

lol @ thinking Bill is beating The Fiend. Most predictable wreslting thing ever, he spears him on the SD before the show so Cole can scream OH MAH GAWD DOES THIS MEAN GOLDBERG CAN BEAT THE FIEND?? WILL THIS BE THE SCENE ON THURSDAY???????

Nope.

Fiend no sold a f**king explosion, he's got boring no sell cheat codes he turns on whenever he wants. Zzz.

Just building him up so Roman will have to use... get this, TWO (wow!) spears to pin him cleanly.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Ah. The thing about a couple of joshi promotions is that they severely underpay their talents (or at least Stardom did before Bushiroad bought them out, not sure now). So a lot of their income comes from merch sales. And as you can imagine, they tend to not get into romantic relationships as a result. Because it could harm their sales if it came out that they were seeing someone. I think TJPW has an actual rule in place about how talents aren't allowed to date anyone. Or at least it did a year or two ago.

Hence the comparison to idol culture. Because they go through the same thing.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ah. The thing about a couple of joshi promotions is that they severely underpay their talents (or at least Stardom did before Bushiroad bought them out, not sure now). So a lot of their income comes from merch sales. And as you can imagine, they tend to not get into romantic relationships as a result. Because it could harm their sales if it came out that they were seeing someone. I think TJPW has an actual rule in place about how talents aren't allowed to date anyone. Or at least it did a year or two ago.

Hence the comparison to idol culture. Because they go through the same thing.

But why would a WWE superstar getting married change that?

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
But why would a WWE superstar getting married change that?
Because Bushiroad wanted her back. Still might. And even in WWE a lot of the Japanese talents want to keep their relationships under wraps. Charlotte accidentally spilled the beans right after Wrestlemania 34 that Asuka is married, and Mauro just casually revealed on NXT that Io is engaged to EVIL. When it was clear he wasn't supposed to say that considering they edited that line out of the WWE network version.

I should add in this joshi idol problem is only for some of the bigger promotions like Stardom and TJPW. Sendai, seaDLLing, etc don't seem to have this problem from what I have seen.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There will be a lot of people saying "holy shit! I can't believe X got signed" who have never seen X before but have seen posts on here or twitter or whatever.

The amount of frustration so many people have had on here trying to get people to watch shit that is actually good ending like this will be pretty shit.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
There will be a lot of people saying "holy shit! I can't believe X got signed" who have never seen X before but have seen posts on here or twitter or whatever.

The amount of frustration so many people have had on here trying to get people to watch shit that is actually good ending like this will be pretty shit.

Yeah I only get bummed with this when it's clear people only engage with women's wrestling through the lens of WWE/NXT. It is what it is.

Considering how quiet Anou has been since leaving Actwres, I'm pretty resigned to her getting poached.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of joshi throwing off the yoke of idol culture, none give fewer fucks than Risa Sera, bless her

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Because Bushiroad wanted her back. Still might. And even in WWE a lot of the Japanese talents want to keep their relationships under wraps. Charlotte accidentally spilled the beans right after Wrestlemania 34 that Asuka is married, and Mauro just casually revealed on NXT that Io is engaged to EVIL. When it was clear he wasn't supposed to say that considering they edited that line out of the WWE network version.

I should add in this joshi idol problem is only for some of the bigger promotions like Stardom and TJPW. Sendai, seaDLLing, etc don't seem to have this problem from what I have seen.
Didn't know Asuka is married. That was a very well kept secret especially how much she post online.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I only get bummed with this when it's clear people only engage with women's wrestling through the lens of WWE/NXT. It is what it is.

Considering how quiet Anou has been since leaving Actwres, I'm pretty resigned to her getting poached.
As you said, it is what it is.

It is annoying and there could have been a lot of fun to be had over the years but yeah.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
As you said, it is what it is.

It is annoying and there could have been a lot of fun to be had over the years but yeah.

Hopefully STARDOM being bought out by Bushiroad and becoming New Japan adjacent can provide a good entry point into the whole scene, but yeah, niche promotions and scenes are always going to get fucked over like this unfortunately.

Not that i'm not guilty of that sort of mindset myself mind you, but I've definitely meaning to check non STARDOM/TJPW joshi stuff for a while now and I still keep tabs on EVE even if the booking is inconsistent and weird.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know Asuka is married. That was a very well kept secret especially how much she post online.
I don't know anything about it but I was watching one of her Kanachan videos and thinking...she has someone silently following her and in her house like all the time recording..who is this person? It would make sense to be a partner. I just found it funny, maybe I'm totally off.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SD so boring, just the same shit over and over.

Best bit was how happy D-Bry looked coming out there with Birdie. <3

Show needs more Otis.

And ugh they're doing Bayley vs Lacey at WM aren't they? :| I miss Sasha. :(

lol @ thinking Bill is beating The Fiend. Most predictable wreslting thing ever, he spears him on the SD before the show so Cole can scream OH MAH GAWD DOES THIS MEAN GOLDBERG CAN BEAT THE FIEND?? WILL THIS BE THE SCENE ON THURSDAY???????

Nope.

Fiend no sold a f**king explosion, he's got boring no sell cheat codes he turns on whenever he wants. Zzz.

Just building him up so Roman will have to use... get this, TWO (wow!) spears to pin him cleanly.
I can't believe they blew Birdie's debut like this.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

It's hard when there's so much wrestling to watch. AEW and the IWTV stuff (and wherever else Kylie Rae works) is plenty for me to follow.

I probably just need to watch some more random shows just to get a sampling of different people and see if there's something else that really clicks for me. I've always enjoying watching wrestlers I've never seen before and basically scouting them.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully STARDOM being bought out by Bushiroad and becoming New Japan adjacent can provide a good entry point into the whole scene, but yeah, niche promotions and scenes are always going to get fucked over like this unfortunately.

Not that i'm not guilty of that sort of mindset myself mind you, but I've definitely meaning to check non STARDOM/TJPW joshi stuff for a while now and I still keep tabs on EVE even if the booking is inconsistent and weird.
I think it is pretty clear a number of promotions have been trying to ready themselves for it.

I'm not trying to take shots at anyone in particular either, it is just one of those things that will happen. And we all only have so much time each day. It just sucks that for years a bunch of people (most of whom seem to rarely post anymore, if at all) actually put in effort to be like "hey, this shit is really good/funny/entertaining" and the same handful of us watched it, when nobody else did and now all the stuff nobody watched will become the "next big thing" before people are disappointed they aren't being used well or whatever.

Time is a flat circle, I guess!

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard when there's so much wrestling to watch. AEW and the IWTV stuff (and wherever else Kylie Rae works) is plenty for me to follow.

I probably just need to watch some more random shows just to get a sampling of different people and see if there's something else that really clicks for me. I've always enjoying watching wrestlers I've never seen before and basically scouting them.

It's understandable, so it's not like I think they're phony or anything like that. I just quietly shake my head when people position themselves are women's wresting fans or devotees, but it's clear they only care about people when they're offered up on a silver platter.

It's a shame that a ton of people won't know what pre-QQ Io Shirai was like or know that once upon a time Sareee was a legit badass.

Same goes for Hikaru Shida, honestly, but she's phoned it in for years now so I don't think her AEW self is all that different than her non-Aja Kong matches from the past couple years.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
It's understandable, so it's not like I think they're phony or anything like that. I just quietly shake my head when people position themselves are women's wresting fans or devotees, but it's clear they only care about people when they're offered up on a silver platter.

It's a shame that a ton of people won't know what pre-QQ Io Shirai was like or know that once upon a time Sareee was a legit badass.

Same goes for Hikaru Shida, honestly, but she's phoned it in for years now so I don't think her AEW self is all that different than her non-Aja Kong matches from the past couple years.

It's been weird knowing of Emi Sakura and Shanna from years back through following their EVE work and then seeing how they've been received in AEW, especially Emi.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I have no idea what this show will be then

two imports in big title matches kinda sucks

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that Sakazaki's title defences so far have been her either surpassing old rivals or breaking deadlocks. Finally beat Yamashita, tied with Austin and had a no contest with Yung.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting that Takeshita/Ueno is on the TJPW US show and every time I remember it's like "oh right that's gonna be sick, damn"

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Kairi. I'd be sad if she returned to Japan now, but they've done fuck all with her since she signed so I wouldn't blame her.

Status
Not open for further replies.