• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...films-la-times-snub-1055338?facebook_20171106

The Times is currently barred from attending advance screenings of Disney movies.

On Monday, culture site The A.V. Club and entertainment site Flavorwire joined a Washington Post writer in pledging solidarity with the Los Angeles Times until Disney drops a temporary ban on access for the newspaper.

"The A.V. Club will follow The Washington Post's lead and — effective immediately — we will refrain from attending any press screenings of Disney movies, at least until the company rescinds its ban on The Los Angeles Times," read a post by A.V. Club film editor A.A. Dowd.

The tiff came into public view on Friday, when the Times publicized the situation in a note to readers and Disney put out a statement accusing the newspaper of showing "a complete disregard for basic journalistic standards" in a recent series of stories about the company's business relationship with its home in Anaheim.

NotGreatBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is fucking disgusting, and highlights why none of us should welcome the prospect of Disney further consolidating the film industry.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated, what is with the Original Poster tag you got there Scullibundo?

I am original too!

I should have a unique tag. Inb4 "banned" suggestions.

Gorgamel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear this. Hopefully Disney backtracks on this and issues a public mean culpa.

Not that I am holding my breath on this.

Gorgamel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated, what is with the Original Poster tag you got there Scullibundo?

I am original too!

I should have a unique tag. Inb4 "banned" suggestions.

This is just a new board feature. The creator of the thread gets that tag for the OP and any other posts in that thread. It's very handy for the rest of us.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
shite company. hopefully this story gets loud enough for them to lift their ban and refrain from such tactics, but I kinda doubt it (the latter part)

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Disney has been moving to different forms of media coverage recently with their reliance of 'Mommy blogs' etc, I wonder if this will further expand that process

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's not a good look Disney. And good on journalists banding together - shameful to try to silence the press.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for Disney to apologize, reinstate their permissions for the LA Times, everyone to drop their boycott, and for the world at large to forget about the article that started this in the first place.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is fucking disgusting, and highlights why none of us should welcome the prospect of Disney further consolidating the film industry.

Yep. I can't stand the current state of the film industry, and it's all owed to Disney and the money-printing scheme they've cooked up with the MCU.

When even hacks like M. Night Shyamalan are trying to get in on that "connected universe" action, you know a very worrisome trend has started.

RedLetterMedia has the correct answer:

Fuck movies.

The only reason I'm not in complete despair is because we got Wind River, Blade Runner 2049, Logan, and John Wick 2 (a property that actually fucking DESERVED a sequel) in the same year.

Let's see how the next ten years unfold.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yep. I can't stand the current state of the film industry, and it's all owed to Disney and the money-printing scheme they've cooked up with the MCU.

When even hacks like M. Night Shyamalan are trying to get in on that "connected universe" action, you know a very worrisome trend has started.

Fuck movies.

The only reason I'm not in complete despair is because we got Wind River, Blade Runner 2049, Logan, and John Wick 2 (a property that actually fucking DESERVED a sequel) in the same year.

Damn well said.

I'm so done with the Marvel/DC universe stuff. Unless it's something I'm dragged to, I'm sick of the BIG BUCK bottom line its become, we've lost a lot of smaller genres and conceptual flicks along the way to make room for only the biggest homogenized juggernauts.

I want more original work out there.

More on topic I'm worried this will hurt press more than Disney (just based off how big they are), but I'm glad they're taking a stand. I hate the idea of throwing out 'bad press' for a piece of work that's meant to receive criticism --- it sets a bad precedent for media/news reporting.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
We should not welcome the prospect of ANY company consolidating any industry. Media conglomeration have been going on for years since the last decae and it is only now-a little too lat-that people got alarmed.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
All around gross behavior from Disney.

I can't wait for Disney to apologize, reinstate their permissions for the LA Times, everyone to drop their boycott, and for the world at large to forget about the article that started this in the first place.

And I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Disney's actions to the story have become the story.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn well said.

I'm so done with the Marvel/DC universe stuff. Unless it's something I'm dragged to, I'm sick of the BIG BUCK bottom line its become, we've lost a lot of smaller genres and conceptual flicks along the way to make room for only the biggest homogenized juggernauts.

I want more original work out there.

More on topic I'm worried this will hurt press more than Disney (just based off how big they are), but I'm glad they're taking a stand. I hate the idea of throwing out 'bad press' for a piece of work that's meant to receive criticism --- it sets a bad precedent for media/news reporting.
lol, all it would take is a simple goddamn google search and you'd know that these big blockbusters are nowhere even CLOSE to the majority of the movies released nowadays. The "original" content you keep clamoring for nearly always bombs, or barely breaks even at BO.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck movies.

You hate shared universes...and just listed an X-Men movie and two sequels as your favorite movies from this year.........Okidoki.

Anywho. I remember hearing a few things about the Disney/Anaheim stuff (something about trying to hide the homeless population and such?) but the LA Times article looks much more comprehensive. Can't read it tonight, but I'm gonna save it for later. I hope Disney continues to throw a hissy fit and journalists continue the boycott efforts so more people can become aware of these issues.

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
lol, all it would take is a simple goddamn google search and you'd know that these big blockbusters are nowhere even CLOSE to the majority of the movies released nowadays. The "original" content you keep clamoring for nearly always bombs, or barely breaks even at BO.
shhhh, you're messing up their point being made.

You hate shared universes...and just listed an X-Men movie and two sequels as your favorite movies from this year.........Okidoki.

Anywho. I remember hearing a few things about the Disney/Anaheim stuff (something about trying to hide the homeless population and such?) but the LA Times article looks much more comprehensive. Can't read it tonight, but I'm gonna save it for later. I hope Disney continues to throw a hissy fit and journalists continue the boycott efforts so more people can become aware of these issues.

this too, lol. John Wick was the only movie deserving a sequel, lol. Logan and Bladerunner were so original thank god.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Journalists should unionize against this kind of shit.

Cinema chains too. Imagine if all the chains in America said "we won't carry TLJ unless you drop the ridiculous demands".

Cap0bvious

Nov 5, 2017
Australia
Journalists should unionize against this kind of shit.

Journalists do unionise, but they generally mobilise against layoffs and government policy changes affecting the industry. The problem with boycotting a company like Disney is that there's still going to be demand for content about their movies, so there's a monetary incentive for people to "cross the picket line" as such.

Journalism in the entertainment sector, especially movies and gaming, are very much dependent on the industry for access. Access means stories. Stories mean readers and revenue. If you piss off the wrong people, you lose access to the benefit of your competitors.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda sad that the only reason this entire story might have a chance in getting traction is because of nerds and their funny movies.