• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's even sadder that unless more major publications back these guys or more influential people cry out, that Disney probably won't give enough of a fuck to not ice these people out.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's even sadder that unless more major publications back these guys or more influential people cry out, that Disney probably won't give enough of a fuck to not ice these people out.

As others have said, even if Disney relents, they will only do so because it would take flak from the Anaheim story. They will suffer a minor PR blow, LA Times will be allowed back to press screenings, other outlets will drop their boycotts, people will forget about their dealings in Anaheim and things will go back to how they were before.

Same with the 20th Century Fox stuff. Regardless of which group of nerds is bigger or louder, they will gobble them up eventually, people will rejoice or rage for a while and then stop again until they can show indignation or excitement at Disney's next purchase in a few years. But the truth is, none of this matters because regardless of what we do or say, they can't and won't be stopped in any meaningful way.

Nov 1, 2017
Nice seeing these people stick up for one another. Disney having so much pull now with everything it owns means they will surely push more and more in their attempt to get away with certain issues like this one here. Sadly enough they can even succeed due to how big they are, it's why they need the support. It's been making me wonder, how big can Disney get technically without violating certain rules or laws, is there any limitation that can be put upon them.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
They also demanded higher cut for theatrical release of Star Wars, much higher than normal.

Despite their family friendly image, Disney is truly a cutthroat business to the core.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I can't stand the current state of the film industry, and it's all owed to Disney and the money-printing scheme they've cooked up with the MCU.

When even hacks like M. Night Shyamalan are trying to get in on that "connected universe" action, you know a very worrisome trend has started.

RedLetterMedia has the correct answer:

Fuck movies.

The only reason I'm not in complete despair is because we got Wind River, Blade Runner 2049, Logan, and John Wick 2 (a property that actually fucking DESERVED a sequel) in the same year.

Let's see how the next ten years unfold.
A worrisome trend indeed lol.
33vlmhz.png

Back on Topic:
After such a tough year its no surprise that these journalist are sticking together.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. I can't stand the current state of the film industry, and it's all owed to Disney and the money-printing scheme they've cooked up with the MCU.

When even hacks like M. Night Shyamalan are trying to get in on that "connected universe" action, you know a very worrisome trend has started.

RedLetterMedia has the correct answer:

Fuck movies.

The only reason I'm not in complete despair is because we got Wind River, Blade Runner 2049, Logan, and John Wick 2 (a property that actually fucking DESERVED a sequel) in the same year.

Let's see how the next ten years unfold.
I agree, but I have to point out that M. Night Shyamalan's 'universe' is just an ordinary trilogy, not a connected universe. Split is the actual sequel to Unbreakable, not a spin-off or a different story that just so happened to take place in the same world and there are no more movies planned after Glass.

Funny enough, John Wick, as pointed out above, is becoming a connected universe.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good.

I'm rather concerned though that, even if Disney does back down, that it's only a matter of time before they try something like this again. I mean, the line's been crossed now, so it just seems inevitable that they'll keep trying to push their weight around, and that definitely gives me a large feeling of unease. =/ Either way though, one thing at a time I suppose--props to all those that are taking a stance against Disney here and I hope they are able to get Disney to backtrack.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Disney even need movie critics and journalists at this point? MCU and their animated films are seen by tons of people without question.
Not that this isn't a shitty thing to do because it is. But I don't think this will actually hurt them if they stick to it.

That being said, they'll apologize faster than he-shall-not-be-named and we'll forget about the whole thing by next week. Probably because something stupider has happened by then.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tfw movie journalists are better at showing solidarity than White House journalists.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really gross of Disney. What's even the point of doing something like this? It can only generate negative press for them.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You hate shared universes...and just listed an X-Men movie and two sequels as your favorite movies from this year.........Okidoki.

Anywho. I remember hearing a few things about the Disney/Anaheim stuff (something about trying to hide the homeless population and such?) but the LA Times article looks much more comprehensive. Can't read it tonight, but I'm gonna save it for later. I hope Disney continues to throw a hissy fit and journalists continue the boycott efforts so more people can become aware of these issues.

Loll got em. A very misguided post by him. I also like the M Night shared universe, he brought a unique twist to it.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this going far tbh. When the new Star Wars comes out, these sites will just be ignored while the other thousands of sites cover the movie.

Oct 28, 2017
This seems really petty on Disney's part, but I'm having a hard time getting worked up over a few journalists not being invited to advanced movie screenings. Good on the journalists for banding together though.

Oct 28, 2017
Do you have a point you're trying to make or are you just going to quote me to be obnoxious?
of course i have a point,the "funny nerd movies" its something i recall from bullies back on the day and i find funny someone with a spiderman avatar using thar pejorative bs here ,sorry to rain on your parade but marvel movies are hardly for nerds anymore

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Things are heating up.

Good. Disney needs to recognize that their approach is counter productive. The federal government should also recognize that Disney is using its significant power in film and tv to try to extort favorable coverage. That should be thrown in their face when they seek to expand.