• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
All my EGS store purchases have been pre-orders with Epic discount: the 3 QD games and now Journey. How on earth have Epic made any money from me at all?

The general assumption is that Epic bought N copies of the games upfront from the publisher. If Epic manages to sell them, they lose less money.

In the other scenario (Epic guarantees revenue to the publisher, without buying copies): the more sales with the $10 cashback, the more Epic loses money.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta put down money to get to see that. Knowledge isn't free!

(It's indeed not shown on the store, but apparently you can see it once you buy the game. Actually, I don't think any upcoming games have a place to show their targeted release date on the store page. How's that for accountability?)

It's on the Sinking City.

I'd wager the tools must suck ass or whoever handles them for certain publishers don't know how to use them well.

I don't think it's an "accountability" issue as "Our game is releasing in a week" being front and center tends to move more units over forcing people to google it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I'd wager the tools must suck ass or whoever handles them for certain publishers don't know how to use them well.

I don't think it's an "accountability" issue as "Our game is releasing in a week" being front and center tends to move more units over forcing people to google it.

Ah, I thought I checked all pre-purchase store pages. I must've missed that one.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I'll still wait for the one year later Steam release, already 100%ed the game on Ps3 and it's great.

Oct 25, 2017

I think Galyonkin mentioned that almost everything is done by hand and nothing is automated.
Doesn't really explain why there's no "Releases on XYZ date". Especially if it's only a week away...

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This and Rebel Galaxy Outlaws are games I had every intention of buying the moment they became available, regardless of the platform. No brainer for me, especially at this discount.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They aren't, strictly speaking. I'ts just Sony is conceding to these developers the right to publish on PC and Epic was there at the right time to take advantage of it.

They are getting exclusive deals with these devs, but those games were going to become multiplatform regardless of Epic.
That's why Flower is on Steam and the Quantic Dream CEO already pointed that their titles are only timed exclusives on EGS and they already talked with other storefronts.
Well that's great if they will eventually come to Steam. Maybe I was giving Epic too much credit for getting these previous PS3/4 exclusive games. Sounds like we'll be getting more though!

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
good eye for upcoming PC projects (while being in the know thx to the engine) by various publishers and lots and lots of cash

yup it was surely at one point planned for steam ... looking at Demo's exe
nOfRxW2.png

as for Journey , its published by Annapurna Interactive aka the publisher that flipfloped the Ashen release last minute to EGS and delay its Steam release to 2020 and also randomly released Flower from thatgamecompany (Journey dev) on GoG, Steam and EGS not that long ago.

So i would say its safe to say its the default 1 year deal

That's a pretty good point, and there's a good possibility Journey releases on Steam at some point in the future since the publisher, as you pointed out, is rather clumsy in handling these things.

Journey was announced pretty much at the same time with the launch of the store last December, and it was "exclusive" to EGS at the time with no mention of "a timed" sort of deal or releasing it at a later date on Steam.
On the other hand, Quantic Dream was pretty upfront about the one year thing in their announcement. I think that's why it's kinda hard to say for sure in the case of Journey.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Well that's great if they will eventually come to Steam. Maybe I was giving Epic too much credit for getting these previous PS3/4 exclusive games. Sounds like we'll be getting more though!

Like prudis pointed out, it has a lot to do with Epic knowing beforehand thanks to their engine.

However, I don't think we will be getting more though. Both thatgamecompany and Quantic Dream are keen on reaching a wider audience since it seems both are shifting from making PS exclusives and moving to multiplatform projects, that and Sony being kinda lenient with those games (Sony is mentioned on every one of the games' pages on EPIC) and I think it has the rights to Quantic Dreams' games if, say, they wanted to make a sequel for Detroit, Beyond, or Heavy Rain. My point is, I don't know if there are that many cases where those two factors exist. I don't think FromSoftware, for instance, needs the publicity in the PC market since it already has a pretty good audience on PC if we were to discuss a potential Bloodborne PC port, and I don't think Sony will be that generous with other exclusives.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like prudis pointed out, it has a lot to do with Epic knowing beforehand thanks to their engine.

However, I don't think we will be getting more though. Both thatgamecompany and Quantic Dream are keen on reaching a wider audience since it seems both are shifting from making PS exclusives and moving to multiplatform projects, that and Sony being kinda lenient with those games (Sony is mentioned on every one of the games' pages on EPIC) and I think it has the rights to Quantic Dreams' games if, say, they wanted to make a sequel for Detroit, Beyond, or Heavy Rain. My point is, I don't know if there are that many cases where those two factors exist. I don't think FromSoftware, for instance, needs the publicity in the PC market since it already has a pretty good audience on PC if we were to discuss a potential Bloodborne PC port, and I don't think Sony will be that generous with other exclusives.
I think if the games sell really well Sony would absolutely be open to releasing more on PC. Maybe not their AAA games like TLOU or Uncharted, but more indie style and AA type games.Tearaway, Shadow of the Colussus, etc.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I think if the games sell really well Sony would absolutely be open to releasing more on PC. Maybe not their AAA games like TLOU or Uncharted, but more indie style and AA type games.Tearaway, Shadow of the Colussus, etc.

Yeah, their less significant exclusives are more likely.

It also depends on any given developer's vision for the future, if they want to expand to a larger audience outside of making PS exclusives.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
It's out! It's downloading! :D

Edit: I won't be able to test until tonight, but word on the street is this game is DRM-Free! So you Epic Store haters could install the Epic Store, download the game, backup the game, and delete the Epic Store forever. (Or use a VM if you really don't want the Epic Store to touch your computer at all.)

Last edited:

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to some impressions when someone gets the chance to play it.

I'm curious about any FPS caps and what the controller support is like.

Last edited:

Manoko

Oct 27, 2017
Got it, but the audio seems bugged for me: I can hear the music and VFX, but there is a ton of crackling noise constantly for some reason.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Got it, but the audio seems bugged for me: I can hear the music and VFX, but there is a ton of crackling noise constantly for some reason.
audio is fucked. The fix from publisher is to switch windows to stereo mode. :/ worked for me and got rid of buzz. but I miss surround sound.

Also played for a long time and didn't see a single person.... :(

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Looking forward to some impressions when someone gets the chance to play it.

I'm curious about any FPS caps and what the controller support is like.
Audio issues if you use 5.1/7.1
Matchmaking doesn't seem to work (or there just is tiny playerbase)

Switched off vsync and appears to be no framecap. I got 150+ at 4k with everything high and MSAA 8x (overclocked 2080ti, 2700x @ 4.2 all cores)
can see my RTSS text in bottom right of this screen:
7BDE2B2D5A7EE8A0C33523663C9E415D97CAF91E

controller support seems perfect same as PS3/4, I am using DS4 with steam controller config.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Tried playing this today but it's pretty much unplayable for me, tried on three different occasions to get it to work but it's just constantly freezing, hard freezing for like 2-3 seconds every like 20 seconds or so. I've tried messing around with settings but nothing so far, just doesn't work.
Also, one thing I don't like with the Epic Store is there's no forums for the games at all, with Steam I can at least go to the discussion page and pretty much everytime I've had a problem someone else did also, and there's always a solution.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tried playing this today but it's pretty much unplayable for me, tried on three different occasions to get it to work but it's just constantly freezing, hard freezing for like 2-3 seconds every like 20 seconds or so. I've tried messing around with settings but nothing so far, just doesn't work.
Also, one thing I don't like with the Epic Store is there's no forums for the games at all, with Steam I can at least go to the discussion page and pretty much everytime I've had a problem someone else did also and there's always a solution.
I haven't experienced this myself but I see on the twitter thread others have, looks like it may be related to netcode issues from others descriptions:

I totally agree, I hate that there are no forums for EGS, Steam forums are such a lifesafer and super useful to get answers from other community members or in a lot of cases the devs themselves.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't experienced this myself but I see on the twitter thread others have, looks like it may be related to netcode issues from others descriptions:

I totally agree, I hate that there are no forums for EGS, Steam forums are such a lifesafer and super useful to get answers from other community members or in a lot of cases the devs themselves.
Ah, weird, I completely forgot to check on twitter XD.
That's good though, at least others have the same problem and they are aware of it, should hopefully mean a fix is coming soon.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Audio issues if you use 5.1/7.1
Matchmaking doesn't seem to work (or there just is tiny playerbase)

Switched off vsync and appears to be no framecap. I got 150+ at 4k with everything high and MSAA 8x (overclocked 2080ti, 2700x @ 4.2 all cores)
can see my RTSS text in bottom right of this screen:
7BDE2B2D5A7EE8A0C33523663C9E415D97CAF91E

controller support seems perfect same as PS3/4, I am using DS4 with steam controller config.
Good to hear about the fps and controller support.

Shame about the audio problems and stutter issues others are experiencing though, hope that's fixed soon.

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Also, one thing I don't like with the Epic Store is there's no forums for the games at all, with Steam I can at least go to the discussion page and pretty much everytime I've had a problem someone else did also, and there's always a solution.

Same here drops to single digits every time before another player connects after that it's smooth unless he drops out which makes it unplayable again until someone else connects. This completely kills the whole online experience for me.

Last edited:

Rose

Feb 2, 2019
Me and another user have summarized the game features, hardware support and more in its article on PCGamingWiki. I'll keep adding to it as necessary.

beeswax

Oct 30, 2017
Shame about the the audio issues in 5.1/7.1. I've dropped to stereo for now which fixed that but as soon as I hit the second area with the big bridge, I started getting huge pauses where the FPS drops to 0.

A few on Twitter mentioned it might be buggy netcode looking for other players so I blocked the Journey executable in the Windows Firewall and it's running smoothly again now.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played it on PlayStation, will play it again on Steam when it will come out there.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, anyone know how I can force a higher resolution? Ingame it won't let me go beyond 1920*1200, but I can't seem to find an .ini file for it either.

gschmidl

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I can't believe the Epic store didn't even notify me it was out.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Supports >60Hz? Bought.

Too bad about that network hitching, though. I hope they fix that, until then I'll play it offline.