• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
The message of "we can just hug out the racism!" in this song is like eating a slice of delicious cake and then suddenly chewing into shards of glass.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The old site version of this thread is chock full of people that clearly were waiting for moderation to go to shit and want to act like shitheads

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I understand why people might like this, but to me, this is the most basic/popcorn level racial discussion. This is the "we need to have a dialogue" strain of thought, the idea that any and all racial discrimination appears because of a 'misunderstanding'. This all ignores the power structures and dynamics that encourage and entrench racism. Racism isn't an argument to be won, it's woven deep into the fabric of our past, present and future. It requires us to take a deep look at the social institutions that we hold dear, and ultimately to probably tear them apart. Racism is more complicated than this song and it's borderline insulting when people display racism in this way and then "fix it".

TLDR: LL Cool J and Brad Paisley made this song first, it was called the Accidental Racist.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video is stupid as fuck. A white guy making complete generalizations about black people and literally saying "you'll stand for the anthem 'n-word'" is the textbook definition of racist. That's the attitude of a bigoted piece of shit, not someone equidistant from a black person who is frustrated with societial issues that oppress them. They're not equivalences, not anywhere near close.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
My face when people are sharing this on Facebook and saying why it's important to understand both sides

Smh

This video is stupid as fuck. A white guy making complete generalizations about black people and literally saying "you'll stand for the anthem 'n-word'" is the textbook definition of racist. That's the attitude of a bigoted piece of shit, not someone equidistant from a black person who is frustrated with societial issues that oppress them. They're not equivalences, not anywhere near close.
I uh, don't think he was saying they were. However yeah the hug at the end makes it a lot lamer and leaves it up for debate I guess.

Regardless of his intent though, it blows my mind that someone watching the video can actually come to the conclusion that the white man has any valid points and is worth engaging.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It doesn't say that but the song and video does frame it that way.
Yeah check my edit. I'm not really sure what the intent was the, at first I figured it was to highlight how fucking wack the alt right was but the hug muddies the waters a bit.... and the reception to it from some of the white "progressives" on social media is hilariously sad.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah check my edit. I'm not really sure what the intent was the, at first I figured it was to highlight how fucking wack the alt right was but the hug muddies the waters a bit.... and the reception to it from some of the white "progressives" on social media is hilariously sad.
Exactly. Framing the white guys points in contrast to the black guys points gives them both the same level of legitimacy.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Exactly. Framing the white guys points in contrast to the black guys points gives them both the same level of legitimacy.

I thought the video was about disapproving the white dude's racist ponts/views and the "not racist" line was being thrown around as a cover-up for his bigoted views. But the hug at the end just muddles the whole message I initially thought of.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I thought the video was about disapproving the white dude's racist ponts/views and the "not racist" line was being thrown around as a cover-up for his bigoted views. But the hug at the end just muddles the whole message I initially thought of.
Exactly my thoughts.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's what the video was going for im just talking about its framing and thus its impact. It doesn't surprise me that people who watch the video come away from it feel like the white dude had some valid points. That and what the smart bros piece points out the black guys response to that is weak.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If only you listened to racists about how much they hate you for your skin color than the world would be a better place.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Does no one else think the song deliberately sets up a fantastical scenario?

Like i figure the dude knows this shit wont happen, the song is showing that he wishes it could.

Also the backing track sucks, the vocals are good but it needs some raw sax jazz hip hop.

Id like to see covers of this

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does no one else think the song deliberately sets up a fantastical scenario?

Like i figure the dude knows this shit wont happen, the song is showing that he wishes it could.

Also the backing track sucks, the vocals are good but it needs some raw sax jazz hip hop.

Id like to see covers of this

You mean a scenario where a MAGA rap battles a black man and both are voiced by the same rapper? And then they hug?

I see that all the time. You need to check out your local clubs because it's as common as F.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
You mean a scenario where a MAGA rap battles a black man and both are voiced by the same rapper? And then they hug?

I see that all the time. You need to check out your local clubs because it's as common as F.

Dat sarcasm doe

Tho a dude who rapped both sides, changed clothes n everything, would be really entertaining.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
I didn't think of it that way. Wat gives you that idea

There was that whole section i think 3/4s of the way through that gave me that idea.

not to mention that repeated use of the word 'wish'.

its entirely possible im reading too much into this, but given what this rapper seems to write about and the high level vocal lines im thinking there is a deeper understanding of this song than on whats on its face.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this and I push back pretty hard on the criticism that it's promoting a "both sides" message. I mean the black voice tears down the white voice's "arguments" to the extent I really struggle to understand how people are interpreting it that way.

I get that the narrative hinges on the "let me hear your side" device but I disagree that the song is giving equal credence to both. The message isn't "hug a racist", it's "fuck you, all of your racist arguments are bullshit".

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this and I push back pretty hard on the criticism that it's promoting a "both sides" message. I mean the black voice tears down the white voice's "arguments" to the extent I really struggle to understand how people are interpreting it that way.

I get that the narrative hinges on the "let me hear your side" device but I disagree that the song is giving equal credence to both. The message isn't "hug a racist", it's "fuck you, all of your racist arguments are bullshit".
Because that doesn't really happen

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because that doesn't really happen
Well yeah i think it does. He may not address all of them in specifics but he certainly addresses the way a bunch of the issues the white guy throws out there are a result of systematic racism which is...true?

The entire thrust of his verse is "black people get fucked by the system".

Do you honestly think the artist's intent is for you to come away from the song thinking "whiteboy got some good points" because if you do, I don't think you're listening or you're taking a cynical interpretation. Verse 1 is all bullshit, verse 2 is real.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah i think it does. He may not address all of them in specifics but he certainly addresses the way a bunch of the issues the white guy throws out there are a result of systematic racism which is...true?

Do you honestly think the artist's intent is for you to come away from the song thinking "whiteboy got some good points" because if you do, I don't think you're listening or you're taking a cynical interpretation. Verse 1 is all bullshit, verse 2 is real.
I don't really care what the artists intent is, I'm looking at the song itself.

Verse 1 is a collection of common hateful arguments against the guy. Verse 2 is, like you say, a retort against them, but it's laced with insults towards the white guy in a similar manner that the white guy insulted him. The implication of the conclusion is that all both of these people are seeking is a common understanding and appreciation for the other's way of life and their resentfulness towards each other.

I'm not gonna say that this is exactly the same thing as "Both sides" but the idea that all the racist, hateful, vitriolic BS is just a cover for the white racist wanting to truly understand the life of black people is preposterous. No, they don't want to understand black people, they want black people subjected, if not eradicated. The bitterness of the black guy is based in sheer exhaustion of having to deal with the white guy's BS, while the bittterness of the white guy is simple malice. They're not comparable and hugging it out is not really a realistic possibility for most racists out there.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

Agreed. The hug at the end is lame and the white guy saying that he wants to understand the black experience is unbelievable, but the song unequivocally uses verse 2 to dismantle a lot of the common arguments racists use to justify their opinions about blacks. I didn't read it at all as suggesting that both people in the video were making equally valid arguments. Whether a white person who holds the views in the first verse would realize how wrong they are upon hearing verse 2 is another question altogether, though.

The spirit of the song is good, even if some people may share it in a way that tries to equate it as a "both sides are valid" argument. And I don't think it comes off as judging people of color who choose not to engage with racists or make it their business trying to educate people who may largely not be receptive to the truth about the historical atrocities and how the effects are still felt in 2017. But I'll never knock someone for utilizing that strategy. I'll never get upset at someone for trying to engage with people, even if those people may not deserve or appreciate that interaction.

Oct 26, 2017
This joint was brilliant. I definitely think Joyner is underrated and does the best storytelling in hip hop right now.

I really enjoyed this track, I'll agree on the "I wish I knew your story" though, racists don't care.

I see others posting some of his other work, but my favorite of his is definitely Ross Cappicchioni. Seriously y'all need to watch this if you've never seen it.

Crazy especially if you know the story behind the kid it's based on.

Holy shit I'm speechless. From the point of view of the camera, the story it's based on, the lyrics, seeing it from both sides, everything. Incredibly well done and I was really feeling this. Not a whole lot of videos in this genre are made like this. If any!

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's more of this bullshit message that if we try hard enough we might be able to talk sense into racists. That it's up to us to get them to understand. Fuck that.

Pretty much; as usual they're trying to shift the blame/guilt on everyone else but themselves... it's typical victim mentality, i hate that stupid fucking bullshit

yt9zgh03flgz.jpg

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to watching this.

Yeah that was some bullshit. I completely reject 'two-sides to every story' both sides premise. Whether it was the authors intent or not he frames it as white people have a problem with 'certain' black people and dude's rebuttal falls flat. It's not like Maga people didn't shit on the most respectable black man for 8 years.

So corny and toothless.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The basis is an ideal world where two opposing sides can come together. It's an optimistic song, but the hug is so shallow. One side (#maga) is presented dishonestly, but it's the way THAT side sees themselves as. They don't compromise and they certainly don't care to understand, but they thing that the other side needs to work with them.

A song can't cover everything though. I accept that. This seems like a song from the heart and, with a very general idea of race relations, draws an ideal road to reconciliation. However, it's all bullshit. It took two viewings to get me to that point.

And a thing that I noticed: who starts the conversation/arguing? The white guy. Who reacts/rebuts? The black guy. If this was to be based more in real life, this video would've ended with the white guy flipping off the black guy and stomping away.

That is a pretty damn good write-up. I agree with a lot, especially the rebuttal being pretty shitty. That goes back to the black guy reacting to the white guy's arguments: As the write-up said in a way, the black guy accepted the "all blacks are criminals" as fact and jumped to defending the "why black guys commit crimes is because of racism". That's really not good.

I feel like some of the problem is that the song starts off on the wrong foot. This song needed to start with the black guy's side first. Put the white, conservative, trumpkin on the rebuttal side. This song has a great beat and great hooks, but the content needed more researching and a totally new approach to truly send a message.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Verse 2 is not real, Verse 2 isn't real the moment he says black people are committing crimes because of racism.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
strong video, but I agree....the hug it out moment was a bit of a let down. I'd rather the #MAGA guy ask Joyner about his story and fade out while they start a dialogue.

Oct 28, 2017

Verse 2, of unintentionally, legitimized the hateful lyrics of verse 1. That's why this song is terrible.