• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seriously gotta give Bloodborne another try. I want to like these games, dammit.

Jun 13, 2020
I don't know what will be more relieving, finally seeing Elden Ring or people no longer complaining about not seeing Elden Ring.
The latter obviously. Like, the game hasn't been announced that long ago. There are games that haven't been shown for more than 3 years. This game was announced on E3 2019, not really that long ago. Sure it's strange that there has been no news since, but I assume the game was early on development and this is also From's first open world game. Also, Covid.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
It has to come out by end of year right? How long are cross-gen games going to be thing? I thought Cyberpunk disaster put that to bed. If "Elden Ring" became a next-gen only release and was pushed back to 2022 I'd be ok with that. I'm still not sure it exists.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm sure the game will get a proper 'reveal' at some point, but I feel all I personally need to hear from FromSoft is "yes this is a game molded in a similar gameplay fashion to the 'Souls' games and 'Bloodborne" and "yes there's a character creator". The latter is where Sekiro lost me personally. I'm not saying a fixed protagonist was a bad decision by From by any means, it's just a big appeal of Bloodborne to me was creating my own protagonist, and for whatever reason, it was just super satisfying for me to play through Bloodborne as a customized protagonist, and in turn made that experience more endearing to me. From what I've heard on Elden Ring from what I understand they're going back to that system, but as long as that is confirmed to be the case, I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

Jun 13, 2020
It has to come out by end of year right? How long are cross-gen games going to be thing? I thought Cyberpunk disaster put that to bed. If "Elden Ring" became a next-gen only release and was pushed back to 2022 I'd be ok with that. I'm still not sure it exists.
Horizon 2 is cross gen, even God of War Ragnarok might be. Cyberpunk was simply a badly optimised, unfinished game. It has nothing to do with cross gen games no longer being viable.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the game will get a proper 'reveal' at some point, but I feel all I personally need to hear from FromSoft is "yes this is a game molded in a similar gameplay fashion to the 'Souls' games and 'Bloodborne" and "yes there's a character creator". The latter is where Sekiro lost me personally. I'm not saying a fixed protagonist was a bad decision by From by any means, it's just a big appeal of Bloodborne to me was creating my own protagonist, and for whatever reason, it was just super satisfying for me to play through Bloodborne as a customized protagonist, and in turn made that experience more endearing to me. From what I've heard on Elden Ring from what I understand they're going back to that system, but as long as that is confirmed to be the case, I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.
I think this addresses most of your concerns:
www.ign.com

Elden Ring Is an Evolution of Dark Souls Says Creator – E3 2019 - IGN

FromSoftware’s Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro, sits down with IGN to tell you what to expect from his new game Elden Ring.
Miyazaki specifically says no set protagonist, gameplay similar to Dark Souls, etc.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I kind of feel like it's going to be re-revealed as a next Gen, MS exclusive to be honest

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think this addresses most of your concerns:
www.ign.com

Elden Ring Is an Evolution of Dark Souls Says Creator – E3 2019 - IGN

FromSoftware’s Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro, sits down with IGN to tell you what to expect from his new game Elden Ring.
Miyazaki specifically says no set protagonist, gameplay similar to Dark Souls, etc.

Yeah glad to hear that. Looking forward to checking out Elden Ring whenever it comes out in that case.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've seriously gotta give Bloodborne another try. I want to like these games, dammit.

Is it the difficulty holding you back? I cheesed plenty in Bloodborne using summons for certain bosses, so I'm far from a good player at Souls games in general, but it does feel amazing when you overcome the difficulty curve for whatever encounter. Bloodborne has some of the most amazing atmosphere, enemy designs, and environmental storytelling/world building out there, and is well worth the grind to experience the total presentation.

I never got far in Demon's Souls on PS3 but am forcing myself to stick with it on PS5 just because I can't get enough of the art and world. The Soulsborne wikis are a fantastic resource, highly recommend checking them out if you want to tackle Bloodborne again.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I think From hasn't put a single game on Game Pass or any other service yet. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it was only Bloodborne on Plus and that was most likely because of Sony.

Dark Souls (360) was gifted as Games with Gold a while back, but the decision isn't theirs to make, just the publishers. Activision hasn't allowed a single game on the service, so I'd definitely doubt we see Sekiro, but with Namco being behind Elder Ring, that definitely increases the likelihood given that they've allowed a lot of their games on the service. The marketing deal with Xbox could also play a part.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Hopefully it's not just "Dark Souls in an open world" and it feels like a new IP (which imo Sekiro didn't).
I think From hasn't put a single game on Game Pass or any other service yet. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it was only Bloodborne on Plus and that was most likely because of Sony.
I believe Dark Souls 3 is on PS Now, but I could be wrong about that.

Edit: Looks like I got it mixed up with Darksiders 3.

Last edited:

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Not to sound like I'm threadwhining but the details in this thread literally feel like it's just repeating the same info as the other thread except Schreier is the source.
isn't he just piggybacking off what Grubb is saying
what new information is there
Game seems to be MS marketed so maybe he doesn't have many (good/deep?) sources there?

Jason doesn't seem to report on Xbox or Xbox-adjacent news does he? Seems like he has many tentacles in Sony's studios though, no doubt!

Oct 25, 2017
Not to sound like I'm threadwhining but the details in this thread literally feel like it's just repeating the same info as the other thread except Schreier is the source.
He's actually more vague, too. "relatively soon"

Possibly it's just not for you but I only stuck with BB after the third try and it ended up being one of my favourite all-time games.

I kind of feel like it's going to be re-revealed as a next Gen, MS exclusive to be honest
I'm just glad you're being honest.

Where is this Game Pass and MS exclusive stuff coming from? Lunacy

Adum

May 30, 2019
The only thing that I think people are so interested in is that it's by From Software + GRRM has some part of it.
That's such a weird take on it. That's like saying the only reason people are so interested in Breath of the Wild 2 is because the first game was so damn good. I mean, yeah. That's the point.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Same, thread feels unnecessary unless something really significant and definitive was revealed, plus the man literally says "I don't know much about it".
Agreed. This is what happens with these so-called journalists and insiders. One outlet breaks a story and then everyone and their mother starts claiming they heard it too and can corroborate it.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
word on the grape vine is testing started recently on a build that might be for a demo.
A possible exclusive for the microsoft event.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That's such a weird take on it. That's like saying the only reason people are so interested in Breath of the Wild 2 is because the first game was so damn good. I mean, yeah. That's the point.
Well I could see if it was described to be like the Souls Borne games, but we don't have a clue what the game will be about, especially the gameplay as far as I know, and I'll admit I don't know much so maybe that's why I'm not so excited.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
I just hope it comes 2021. The way Jeff Grubb was talking makes it sound it like it will, but 2022 would be such buzzkill. :(

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
Was interesting to hear what Jeff Grubb was saying about Japanese studios and not really being prepared for working from home. I wonder if that was a big reason we haven't seen/heard anything about elden ring for the last year?

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
Yeah I think this is definitely showing at this Microsoft event next month. I'm not sure why so many people are insistent that it's purely 'tech/business' focussed when literally all that has been said is that there's an event called 'whats new in gaming' happening.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Hopefully it's not just "Dark Souls in an open world" and it feels like a new IP (which imo Sekiro didn't).

If Sekiro with its different combat system, traversal, set character, feudal Japan setting, stealth, and lack of RPG options and online, didn't feel like a new IP to you, then I doubt this will as it sounds way closer to Soulsborne than Sekiro ever did.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope it comes 2021. The way Jeff Grubb was talking makes it sound it like it will, but 2022 would be such buzzkill. :(
Someone crunched the numbers and if the reveal is march then the release could be Dec. Frankly I dont see them putting it on Dec when their usual early quarter window is so near by in 2022.

At the same time idk if either Bamco or From can afford to delay this game any longer for the sake of their finances. Im hoping for Oct/Nov, that seems like a good date to release the game assuming the game gets a reveal by April.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
C'mon now, you can't actually believe that lol

No one in their right mind would share something like that in the first place. Talking is another thing.

These insiders have no clue about a release date and that's something that'll most likely be at the end of the trailer like in other From games.

Trailer sharing happens, I'm sure much to the ire of publishers.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If Elden Ring is the "Botw" of Dark Souls then I will be very happy.

I think having a large world that doesn't feel like every inch of it has been meticulously handcrafted would be a huge downgrade. That is what From is the best at. Their level designs are second to none. No one does it better than them. Elden Ring is clearly going to open things up, but they need to keep their design principles intact. If Elden Ring feels like BOTW that would be really disappointing.

I expect this game to feel more like Dark Souls than Sekiro did. However, I am also of the opinion that Sekiro has some shared DNA with the Souls series, but plays in such a dramatically different manner that it really doesn't feel like a Souls game.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
What does that mean?

Great open world of Dark Souls variety™

In all seriousness, if it had the density and curiosity of Breath of the Wild's open world, and you truly can go to where you can see, but the atmosphere and mythos of the game was set in a significantly more dark and mature world... that would be a dream come true.

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
I feel like if a gameplay trailer were to be revealed at this Microsoft event with a release date at the end for October or something, era and the whole internet would implode lol.

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
The latter obviously. Like, the game hasn't been announced that long ago. There are games that haven't been shown for more than 3 years. This game was announced on E3 2019, not really that long ago. Sure it's strange that there has been no news since, but I assume the game was early on development and this is also From's first open world game. Also, Covid.
we know ER has been in development since early 2017, and from had a very consistent output plus that from has never went silent for this long after the announcement before, it's normal for us to complaint about the long silence

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have reached the firm point of completely not giving a shit about this game. There is a point where constant tease becomes just numbing.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I have reached the firm point of completely not giving a shit about this game. There is a point where constant tease becomes just numbing.
There is that and where I'm at , end of the day it's another souls game. It's not going to be this accessible third person action game that 10 million are going to cop at launch.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
it took me about 4 attempts to actually get into it.
It's in my top 3 GoTG for sure.
I've tried twice. On my latest try it kept giving me a connection error after the opening cutscene and booting me back to the main menu.

One day I will play it, perhaps if they do a next-gen patch.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
What does that mean?

Ya know like magnet puzzles and stuff :P

Great open world of Dark Souls variety™

In all seriousness, if it had the density and curiosity of Breath of the Wild's open world, and you truly can go to where you can see, but the atmosphere and mythos of the game was set in a significantly more dark and mature world... that would be a dream come true.

I think Ashen had a good semi open world, or at least the feel of more outdoor, non structures/ruins locations traversal between the actual caves, ruins locations. Really excited to see what FROM has come up with for Elden Ring.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly, or maybe more in the direction of sanity, I'm not interested in this game at all yet. The only thing that I think people are so interested in is that it's by From Software + GRRM has some part of it.
It has to be "internet memes". I know FromSoft games have a dedicated fanbase now but seeing how this game trends at every gaming event and how the internet talks about it you'd think it's the next GTA or Zelda. Didn't Sekrio sell less than 5 million copies?