• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

Judge jails former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning for refusing to testify to a grand jury probing Wikileaks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...01ffb5bd5e6_story.html?utm_term=.abe31f0075a2

Former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning will be held in jail until she testifies before a grand jury or that grand jury is no longer operating, a federal judge in Alexandria ruled Friday.

Most of the hearing at which prosecutors argued for Manning to held in contempt was sealed, but the court was open to the public for Judge Claude M. Hilton's ruling.

"I've found you in contempt," Hilton said. He ordered her to custody immediately, "either until you purge yourself or the end of the life of the grand jury."

Manning was called to testify in an investigation into Wikileaks, the anti-secrecy website she shared classified documents with back in 2010. Manning served seven years of a 35 year prison sentence for her leak before receiving a commutation from then-President Barack Obama.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday, WaPo: Chelsea Manning faces contempt hearing after refusing to answer grand jury questions
Former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning faces possible jail time after refusing to answer a grand jury's questions about her disclosure of classified State Department cables and war logs in 2010 to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks.
Manning said that a federal judge in Alexandria, Va., scheduled a contempt hearing for Friday and that she could be sent to jail, less than two years after she was released from a military prison for the leaks.
"Yesterday, I appeared before a secret grand jury after being given immunity for my testimony," Manning said in a statement Thursday. "All of the substantive questions pertained to my disclosures of information to the public in 2010 — answers I provided in extensive testimony, during my court-martial in 2013. I responded to each question with the following statement: 'I object to the question and refuse to answer on the grounds that the question is in violation of my First, Fourth, and Sixth Amendment, and other statutory rights.' "

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Send her to prison. Not only is she refusing to testify, she's also a friend of neo nazis and alt right assholes. Fuck her.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Caping for Wikileaks in 2019? This ain't it chief

zou

Oct 29, 2017
So she has immunity, supposedly answered all the questions before and then decided to not answer any of them in front of a grand jury? So she either lied or just wants the attention?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Send someone to jail because of the behavior of people they are associated with? Sounds like a very slippery slope.

Associated with? She was leaking information to them and now won't testify about ongoing criminal actions of WikiLeaks.

I supported her pardon, but she has milkshake ducked so hard since her release.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Liberals are mad that Manning attended a party hosted by Mike Cernovich
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/22/chelsea-manning-far-right-trump-gather-intel

It's atrocious for armchair #resisters to pass judgement on somebody (a trans woman no less!) who has endured unbelievable suffering so the rest of us can know just a glimpse of the evil our government does abroad. I can't believe they lack the self awareness of this.

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
absolutely despicable.

I love to live in a democracy where whistleblowers of state crimes get tortured and solitary confinement.

Whistleblower? Please. Snowden was a whistleblower. Chelsea wasnt. She didnt give two shits how she did what she did. She wasnt careful at all. She still defends wikileakd and assange and alt right nazis

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liberals are mad that Manning attended a party hosted by Mike Cernovich
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/22/chelsea-manning-far-right-trump-gather-intel

It's atrocious for armchair #resisters to pass judgement on somebody (a trans woman no less!) who has endured unbelievable suffering so the rest of us can know just a glimpse of the evil our government does abroad. I can't believe they lack the self awareness of this.

Lol so trans cant be bigots? Hey chief, even Jews supported Nazis in Germany. She continues to cape for assange who is an alt right supporter.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

WaPo: Chelsea Manning sent to jail for refusing to testify in Wikileaks case
Former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning will be held in jail until she testifies before a grand jury or that grand jury is no longer operating, a federal judge in Alexandria ruled Friday.
Most of the hearing at which prosecutors argued for Manning to held in contempt was sealed, but the court was open to the public for Judge Claude M. Hilton's ruling.
"I've found you in contempt," Hilton said. He ordered her to custody immediately, "either until you purge yourself or the end of the life of the grand jury."
Manning was called to testify in an investigation into Wikileaks, the anti-secrecy website she shared classified documents with back in 2010. Manning served seven years of a 35 year prison sentence for her leak before receiving a commutation from then-President Barack Obama.
Outside court before the hearing, Manning said she was prepared to go to jail.
"These secret proceedings tend to favor the government," she said. "I'm always willing to explain things publicly."

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
The 1st, 4th, and 6th Amendments aren't going to help you here with being held in contempt.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Whistleblower? Please. Snowden was a whistleblower. Chelsea wasnt. She didnt give two shits how she did what she did. She wasnt careful at all. She still defends wikileakd and assange and alt right nazis

She basically gave up her life to release video of US helicopters gunning down journalists in Iraq with full audio of the bureaucratic approval of the operation. Immediately, after, the same helicopter gunned down the first responders. Please reconsider your thinking.

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She basically gave up her life to release video of US helicopters gunning down journalists in Iraq with full audio of the bureaucratic approval of the operation. Please reconsider your thinking.

She didnt think twice of the people she was putting in danger. She to this day supports assange. Get out of here. Fuck her.

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Selective concern about identity politics by liberals is a dead giveaway.

She wants people to support her for being trans but she supports assange who unlike say Ilhan Omar is antisemitic, hangs out withh people who are racist, and people in this thread wonder why folks like myself condemn her. Its amazing.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
She wants people to support her for being trans but she supports assange who unlike say Ilhan Omar is antisemitic, hangs out withh people who are racist, and people in this thread wonder why folks like myself condemn her. Its amazing.

*whispers* maybe there are bigger principles at play than the personal failings of Julian Assange.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk about you guys, but i think it's insanely woke to cheer for torture victims going back to jail for refusing to answer questions in front of a secret grand jury

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
idk about you guys, but i think it's insanely woke to cheer for torture victims going back to jail for refusing to answer questions in front of a secret grand jury
A whistleblower all of a sudden can't whistleblow when it comes to protecting Russian stooge Assange?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She didnt think twice of the people she was putting in danger. She to this day supports assange. Get out of here. Fuck her.
Put people in danger how? If the US is homicidal hypocrites and using my tax money to do so, I have the right to know. Americans want transparency when it comes to the consumer habits of food stamp recipients but generally don't care for scrutinizing the military.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't shock me if Trump gives her a pardon next.

That's how screwed up this whole thing is. Politics, once again, is eating itself alive.

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*whispers* maybe there are bigger principles at play than the personal failings of Julian Assange.

And yet she refuses to condemn him...hmmm but sure. Her being trans should have anything to do with her poor judgement at best, downright disregard for certain minority groups at worst. Not to mention her refusal to actually release the information in a manner that didnt risk the lives of innocent people.

Oct 27, 2017
Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning was jailed on Friday after refusing to answer questions from a federal grand jury in Virginia looking into the release of documents to WikiLeaks.

Earlier in the day, Manning told reporters that she was prepared to go to jail following the closed contempt hearing for her resistance to provide testimony because she doesn't believe in the grand jury process.

On Wednesday, Manning did appear before a grand jury in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. but refused to answer any questions.

"I responded to each question with the following statement: 'I object to the question and refuse to answer on the grounds that the question is in violation of my First, Fourth, and Sixth Amendment, and other statutory rights," Manning said in a statement.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-refusing-testify-grand-jury-virginia-n980016

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not following the logic here. So just because she may have had bad things happen in military confinement, means she can now ignore lawful proceedings and court orders?

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
She's being stupid especially since she was given immunity. Lock her up, just like anyone else would be in this situation.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why she would piss off a judge like this, what exactly is her end game here? The judge is completely right to hold her in contempt like they would any other person for refusing to testify.