• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thebishop is right, Wikileaks isn't just Assange, it's much bigger than him

41909_USA181004russiahackingafp_1538690841198.jpg

Freedom fighters, every one of them!

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She didnt selectively release information that revealed the crimes while protecting people who werent decision makers but who were put at risk by releasing the info. Why is that hard for you to understand? The two are not mutually exclusive. Look at Snowden and many other people who leaked info about our govt. jesus
I'll have to brush up on the Manning saga then, it was long ago.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Manning absolutely was a whistleblower at the time. She revealed the US committing war crimes. Snowden, is not a whistleblower. He's the idiot you should direct your ire at.

I don't see a problem in her being jailed for refusing to testify. That's what happens when you try to ignore subpoenas.
Snowden made sure his leaks were controlled through releasing it with news outlets and didn't release any infos that would be damaging to unrelated people. Manning didn't. I don't see how they're not both whistleblowers, regardless of what you think of them. With Snowden being the one doing more due diligence with it.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wikileaks was never bad. it releases accurate, secret information about powerful state and corporate actors in the public interest and has never been responsible for outing a source. It would be an incredible blow to press freedom worldwide if Assange was successfully prosecuted for crimes related to *publishing*. I have no interest in defending Assange on the Swedish rape allegations, and at any rate, Wikileaks is bigger than Assange.

I think, with regard to Wikileaks, that you are oversimplifying a bit. Yes, Wikileaks did well to expose war crimes and rights violations by the American government. But Assange and Wikileaks ultimately became a tool of Putin and the Russians. Assange himself is a bad person too. So there's that.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wikileaks was never bad. it releases accurate, secret information about powerful state and corporate actors in the public interest and has never been responsible for outing a source. It would be an incredible blow to press freedom worldwide if Assange was successfully prosecuted for crimes related to *publishing*. I have no interest in defending Assange on the Swedish rape allegations, and at any rate, Wikileaks is bigger than Assange.
Imagine actually believing any of this horseshit in 2019

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
This is the bullshit you support

6095c484-0c54-4ba2-9ac2-e876738257d4.jpg

Like this post from you could have been made in good faith in the earlier part of this decade, but Wikileaks has long since made sure we all know they're a Russian tool now.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if she didn't have immunity, could she have plead the 5th to avoid having to incriminate herself in the conspiracy to aid Russia and Wikileaks? I think it's a matter of public image for her... she probably likes that there are people still call her a 'hero.' I'd think if she were to be exposed as being part of a conspiracy involving Russia, that would change. It seems so obvious now with WIkileaks... Snowden hides out in Russia? That rent isn't free. And Russians are brilliant people, but they do the legwork on internet trolling. The strategy and language comes from American conspirators.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I wish her luck. I'm not understanding her stance on this but she's making a principled stand. I applaud her courage. Manning is problematic in some ways but she's braver than any of the posters criticizing her here.

Liberals are authoritarian and believe in "law&order" along with worship of existing structures of power, no matter how inhuman. Since Trump took office, hell even before under Obama, there are many posters who slavishly bootlick the deep state here at ERA. Every topic about Snowden, Manning, the Patriot Act, etc. etc. you will find liberals coming out of the woodwork to boot-lick. Every time.
Deep state huh

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Judge: I'm going to jail you for contempt if you don't testify under immunity

Manning: I'm not going to testify. I'm going to cite violations of amendments that won't help me.

Judge: Off to jail you go

Manning:
tumblr_inline_pfp352ORsk1r4hkfd_250.png

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish her luck. I'm not understanding her stance on this but she's making a principled stand. I applaud her courage. Manning is problematic in some ways but she's braver than any of the posters criticizing her here.

Liberals are authoritarian and believe in "law&order" along with worship of existing structures of power, no matter how inhuman. Since Trump took office, hell even before under Obama, there are many posters who slavishly bootlick the deep state here at ERA. Every topic about Snowden, Manning, the Patriot Act, etc. etc. you will find liberals coming out of the woodwork to boot-lick. Every time.

You know, when someone is given a court order to appear and testify while still having immunity, and decides not to show up, I would call that being an idiot.

But I guess to some it's being super duper brave to stand up for the racist dude you fell in love with while he used you to get juicy embarrassing ambassador wires

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of WL material relevant to Canada. Like this one about US/CA policy re tarsands:
https://thinkprogress.org/wikileaks...canadian-tar-sands-oil-pipeline-ac57984aed99/

Or this one about the Canadian government's efforts to gag the press from reporting about warrantless wiretapping of Mohawk nation protesters:
https://wikileaks.org/wiki/Canadian_Mohawk_wiretaps_injuncted_stories_2008

K

They're still a bigoted organization who selectively leaks only to harm select governments.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Liberals are mad that Manning attended a party hosted by Mike Cernovich
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/22/chelsea-manning-far-right-trump-gather-intel

It's atrocious for armchair #resisters to pass judgement on somebody (a trans woman no less!) who has endured unbelievable suffering so the rest of us can know just a glimpse of the evil our government does abroad. I can't believe they lack the self awareness of this.

it's pretty ridiculous. who hasn't ended up in a washington dc escape room surrounded by alt right icons? that's probably the shtick of the escape room. be surrounded by the most repugnant individuals to make you want to escape faster.

8sbFDEO.jpg

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There's plenty of WL material relevant to Canada. Like this one about US/CA policy re tarsands:
https://thinkprogress.org/wikileaks...canadian-tar-sands-oil-pipeline-ac57984aed99/

Or this one about the Canadian government's efforts to gag the press from reporting about warrantless wiretapping of Mohawk nation protesters:
https://wikileaks.org/wiki/Canadian_Mohawk_wiretaps_injuncted_stories_2008
Anything from WL about Russia though?
Or are their scrutiny kinda like Trump, you know buddy buddy with tyrants and contempt for democracies.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
it's pretty ridiculous. who hasn't ended up in a washington dc escape room surrounded by alt right icons? that's probably the shtick of the escape room. be surrounded by the most repugnant individuals to make you want to escape faster.

8sbFDEO.jpg
Can I use Get Out rules for this escape room? Will I be allowed weapons?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

It would be really alarming if these people were more than spectators to politics. But it's still a frightening indication of where mainstream American thought is at across the bipartisan spectrum. Like all these people who believe in the Trump-Russia-Wikileaks conspiracy don't even notice the cognitive dissonance that they're cheering on President Trump's (with help from his buddy Mike Pompeo) aggressive effort to prosecute Assange.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be really alarming if these people were more than spectators to politics. But it's still a frightening indication of where mainstream American thought is at across the bipartisan spectrum. Like all these people who believe in the Trump-Russia-Wikileaks conspiracy don't even notice the cognitive dissonance that it's President Trump (with help from his buddy Mike Pompeo) aggressively moving to prosecute Assange.

paythetrolltoll-sm.gif

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
She didnt selectively release information that revealed the crimes while protecting people who werent decision makers but who were put at risk by releasing the info. Why is that hard for you to understand? The two are not mutually exclusive. Look at Snowden and many other people who leaked info about our govt. jesus

You should stop trying, the majority of people here are woefully ignorant of what Manning actually leaked. And, have no knowledge of what a grand jury proceeding entails and the full activities of Wikileaks.

All said and done, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Your 1st, 4th, and 5th Amendment rights are going to help you in a grand jury proceeding.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

Aren't you supposed to get some sort of memo from your handler about terms not to use outside of alt-right echo chambers?

Literally two words and you're down ever having credibility on this site again. You're going to get fired at this rate.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It would be really alarming if these people were more than spectators to politics. But it's still a frightening indication of where mainstream American thought is at across the bipartisan spectrum. Like all these people who believe in the Trump-Russia-Wikileaks conspiracy don't even notice the cognitive dissonance that they're cheering on President Trump's (with help from his buddy Mike Pompeo) aggressive effort to prosecute Assange.
Don't show your cards this easily, it removes the fun.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
1st Amendment: Free Speech doesn't protect you from not testifying to a grand jury with the agreement of immunity with cooperation.

4th Amendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

This isn't a search or seizure.

6th Amendment
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

In the case of the grand jury, Chelsea isn't the accused so this doesn't work either.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Caping for Wikileaks in 2019? This ain't it chief

There's basically no reasonable defense for the contempt here. She could show up and plead the fifth. If they were a Russian cutout then her defense at the time boils down to ignorance. Also no defense but wouldn't change her commutation.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The thing I can't figure out is what they think she knows that would warrant this testimony in the first place. Are they questioning every one of Wikileaks' sources?