• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 20, 2017
Neither of those links is relevant to the the point:
1. Did Russia hack GOP documents in addition to DNC emails? (anonymous officials in my link suggest yes)
2. Did Russia provide those documents to wikileaks (nothing I've seen suggests this, even anonymously and evidence-free)
3. Did Wikileaks choose not to release GOP-incriminating documents they had in their possession? (see #2)

The problem is even using that link in the first place to justify your argument. Try harder (or on second thoughts, maybe don't).

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's no credible claim that Wikileaks had GOP emails comparable to the DNC leaks and chose not to release them. If it was actually true, I would have a problem with it.
There's more to Wikileaks than this single case. You can read up about several other controversies.
There's also probably a reason why most of the founding members left the platform due to internal conflicts with Assange and especially due to the lack of transparency of which and why some Intel gets published and other doesn't.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
But this thread is about Chelsea Manning refusing to testify about (if we're generous to her) what we now know to be a direct and aggressive cutout of the Russian government and its targeted attacks on our democratic institutions.

Nobody is subpoenaing her about her gender or hunger strike.

Michael Jackson was also a fantastic dancer but I feel different about him now than I did in 1987.

You know that. I prefer evidence for such outlandish claims.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Wow you guys can be weird af here at times.

For some reason, you see Manning as some white night far-left warrior who'll save you all from the evil American fascist right. So when she is associated with people who are alt-right and racists, ITS OKAY! You can't blame her for that, it's them not her! And even though she literally broke the law and put many innocent people's lives at risk.

But fucking hang Chris Pratt for attending a Church that's anti-gay. After all, if he goes to that Church he must be anti-gay too!

Either stick with guilt by association or don't, flip-flopping depending on the person to fit your political beliefs is weak.

What's all this you guys shit? It's like 2-3 people saying what you're talking about and a thread full of people telling them otherwise. If you don't like era, don't visit, but these backhanded gotcha moments are dumb as fuck and need to be called out.

First of all, there's no "you guys" or "ERA." Every single one of us most likely has differing opinions on a variety of topics, so kindly spare us your pathetic attempt to bring up Chris Pratt's ass out of the blue and stop trying to bring up old drama from threads we've all moved on from in an attempt to call out a bunch of nameless posters.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't you supposed to get some sort of memo from your handler about terms not to use outside of alt-right echo chambers?

Literally two words and you're down ever having credibility on this site again. You're going to get fired at this rate.

Are you accusing me of being a Russian shill or alt-right plant? Provide some support for this or retract it. I've been consistent and vocal on this issue since the old site.

The criticism of the American intelligence community isn't just an alt-right talking point. That you think it is means that you just aren't paying attention. On the left we have had concerns about them that go back decades. They've deposed sovereign governments, tortured, sabotauged POC leadership here in the US, provided weapons and training to terrorists who use those same tools on American citizens, and, since 2002, have been engaging in a bulk warrant-less surveillance of American citizens as well as allies. Among other atrocities too numerous to name here spanning many, many years.

So yes, I am going to be continue to be critical of the deep state and authoritarianism in general.

2. The idea that Assange or Wikileaks are "tools of russia" is total conspiracy theory, approaching Alex Jones territory. If the Russian GRU, under the guise of Guccifer 2.0 actually were the source of the DNC emails (and I don't have a big objection to that idea), WL did the right thing by releasing the material. If Guccifer gave the emails to the NYT, and the NYT didn't release them, it would be an unbelievable failure of journalism. Not saying WL's approach to dumping the entire archive was the best way to go, but any outlet worth consideration would have published stories from that material. To say WL are tools of Russia, you'd have to show some deeper collaboration, and it hasn't been shown by the Mueller investigation or anywhere else.

You're right in that I don't have any direct proof, because any communications Assange had with Russia is not public knowledge at this point. It is a black box. But when the output of that black box favors Russia, and preferred Russian tools like Trump and the GOP, it points to a collaboration. I believe that, years later, we will have hard evidence of that collaboration.

There are a lot of Russian fingerprints all over both the Trump White House and Assange/Wikileaks. You call it a conspiracy theory, I say that there is too much to be coincidence.

Careful, you'll sound like a bootlicking liberal

I've been consistent on this for years, just being realistic about Assange, who did some useful things but is not a hero in my eyes.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It's so fucking stupid. You show up to the grand jury, you plead the 5th, you go home. If you are granted immunity you show up, you answer their questions truthfully and in full, you go home.

This is not exactly rocket science.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know, guys, you can be appreciative of someone doing something in the past and view them pieces of shit in the present

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Inaproppriate Language
What's all this you guys shit? It's like 2-3 people saying what you're talking about and a thread full of people telling them otherwise. If you don't like era, don't visit, but these backhanded gotcha moments are dumb as fuck and need to be called out.

First of all, there's no "you guys" or "ERA." Every single one of us most likely has differing opinions on a variety of topics, so kindly spare us your pathetic attempt to bring up Chris Pratt's ass out of the blue and stop trying to bring up old drama from threads we've all moved on from in an attempt to call out a bunch of nameless posters.

If that's what you got from my post then cool. Not sure how you got so triggered unless you're now seeing your own hypocrisy in these matters.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb. If she had really wanted to, she could've gone and "not remembered" any of it if protecting Wikileaks was so damn important. But I honestly think she knows this and just likes being a martyr for a dumb cause.

But hey this is the same person who dumped tons of confidential information which she had no idea of the contents to a hostile foreign agency that dumps all documents online with absolutely minimal vetting or retractions. She's damn lucky no one got hurt or killed over that stunt, and it shows her lack of thinking anything through.

That said, last time the conditions of her imprisonment were disgusting, and I hope the US does not repeat any of it this time. But they probably will because our penal system is a fucking joke.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wikileaks is a bigoted organization who seeks to only "expose" a curated list of governments.

And won't think twice of going after say a Sanders government.

Stupidity is not bravery

I missed your reply but you made some valuable points. And yes, I agree (and said in a prior post) that Wikileaks only exposes a select few governments. They've got Russian (and maybe other bad actors) fingerprints all over them. Assange is also a piece of shit as a person. However, the initial leaks during the Obama administration were a service to our nation, and to the world. Truly a mixed bag.

Chelsea Manning is brave. You can be brave and stupid. If I were her, I wouldn't go to a party held by the alt-right and attended by neo-Nazis. It seems like she is trying to protect Assange out of loyalty. Brave but stupid. I've long said, Manning is no Edward Snowden. She's far more problematic. Her choices of friends shows further evidence of bad judgment.

She has immunity, the wiser thing to do would have been to testify. Standing on her principles here was misguided.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
That's not jingoism, Wikileaks has been a tool of Russian intelligence to tear everyone else down, including the US.

it was pretty clear to a lot of people that this is what wikileaks was prior to actually finding out about it. It was pretty obvious. i question anyone that caped for them at any point in time.

Also, she's refusing to testify likely because there's something she doesn't want to be asked about. If I had to put money on it, i'd say its her association with anyone connected to wikileaks after we all found out that they were Russian intelligence.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it was pretty clear to a lot of people that this is what wikileaks was prior to actually finding out about it. It was pretty obvious. i question anyone that caped for them at any point in time.

Also, she's refusing to testify likely because there's something she doesn't want to be asked about. If I had to put money on it, i'd say its her association with anyone connected to wikileaks after we all found out that they were Russian intelligence.
Yep, I've never trusted Wikileaks. Never bought into their altruistic, "just journalists" bullshit, which clearly fell apart years later with the influx of Russian and hate propaganda all over their twitter. Seems some people were already fully primed and fooled though, still believing that Assange and WL have good motives. Yeesh.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Wikileaks is like the NSA.
People were skeptical about and at 1st you could have an argument about whether or not they're a force of good or not.
They've been exposed since then and anyone still caping for them should rightfully be sideeyed.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I get that she feels some kind of way about Wikileaks and what she did believing she was doing something several years ago, but you gotta have some perspective about what Wikileaks is now (and has been for who knows how long). You are defending some pretty scummy people who are doing more harm than good.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I've never trusted Wikileaks. Never bought into their altruistic, "just journalists" bullshit, which clearly fell apart years later with the influx of Russian and hate propaganda all over their twitter. Seems some people were already fully primed and fooled though, still believing that Assange and WL have good motives. Yeesh.
Same, I thought their stated rationale was absurd naive BS in the Bush era that made absolutely no sense because everyone is going to have secrets and classified info as a matter of necessity, which is why the revelations of the past few years about them line up with that. Suddenly the nonsensical stated ideology made complete sense because it was never the actual operating ideology at all, it was merely a front.

There was a really good twitter thread going into the early history of wikileaks (short version: started off with good intentions, but the original high-minded founders except assange quickly left and once he was the one in full control it descended quickly to being just an arm of the GRU) but I didn't think to save it unfortunately.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Once Visa and MC cut off donations to WikiLeaks, Assange sold out. He even had a show on RT.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I think the treatment she received while imprisoned the first time was terrible and am glad Obama let her out, she can fuck right off with pretty much all her actions since then. I feel like people haven't actually kept up with her. I'm not sure if the trauma of prision has caused her to need far more psych help than she is getting or she was just always really dumb but she doesn't need defending from her actions

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Are you accusing me of being a Russian shill or alt-right plant? Provide some support for this or retract it. I've been consistent and vocal on this issue since the old site.

I'm accusing you of being impossible to take seriously because you're using the term "deep state" without irony.

Are you trying to do a bit, here? Am I getting trolled? If you're trying to make a salient point, wipe those words from your mouth and come up with a way to phrase what you're trying to say that doesn't immediately associate you with literally the dumbest people on the planet. The words "deep state" don't have any business in an adult conversation except when quoted as "hilarious dumb shit Alex Jones has said".

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wikileaks is like the NSA.
People were skeptical about and at 1st you could have an argument about whether or not they're a force of good or not.
They've been exposed since then and anyone still caping for them should rightfully be sideeyed.
The NSA is the signals intelligence arm of the US government

Wikileaks is a scorched-earth agent of chaos financed by the Russian mafia (which is also the Russian government) masquerading as a beacon of transparency and journalism.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The NSA is the signals intelligence arm of the US government

Wikileaks is a scorched-earth agent of chaos financed by the Russian mafia (which is also the Russian government) masquerading as a beacon of transparency and journalism.
You can counteract them just by having more open and transparent government entities and actions. Literally all it would take.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's pretty hard to argue against her being held for contempt of court when her explanation is that she has contempt for the court.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like seeing her go to jail but this isn't a very compelling explanation.

Yeah this kind of feels to me like when someone gets pulled over by the cops and try to claim they are "sovereign citizens" and the police cannot do anything to them because they claim that US laws do not apply. Refusing a court order to testify to a grand jury because you don't believe in grand juries in general just....doesn't really fly?

I wonder if she has a lawyer, and if so, why they are letting her go through with this. It's pretty awful that someone who has been harshly imprisoned and has had her mental health noticeably threatened will needlessly go through all that all over again.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can counteract them just by having more open and transparent government entities and actions. Literally all it would take.
Some level of secrecy will always be necessary. Wikileaks is transparant in how they wont redact non-Russia aligned actors but will redact Russia-aligned ones in that they're explicitly interested in only one-sided transparency. These people are not your friends. https://theintercept.com/2018/02/14/julian-assange-wikileaks-election-clinton-trump/

Deleted member 8777

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some level of secrecy will always be necessary. Wikileaks is transparant in how they wont redact non-Russia aligned actors but will redact Russia-aligned ones in that they're explicitly interested in only one-sided transparency. These people are not your friends. https://theintercept.com/2018/02/14/julian-assange-wikileaks-election-clinton-trump/
I'm just fascinated by the fact you treat russia as if you're living under the cold war. For what? Ok wikileaks is a laundering program for the FSB. What prevents the US, an endlessly more resourceful nation, from having a similar operation?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this kind of feels to me like when someone gets pulled over by the cops and try to claim they are "sovereign citizens" and the police cannot do anything to them because they claim that US laws do not apply. Refusing a court order to testify to a grand jury because you don't believe in grand juries in general just....doesn't really fly?

I wonder if she has a lawyer, and if so, why they are letting her go through with this. It's pretty awful that someone who has been harshly imprisoned and has had her mental health noticeably threatened will needlessly go through all that all over again.
Yeah, this all seems very avoidable, and I fear that she is getting advice or encouragement from the wrong people.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just fascinated by the fact you treat russia as if you're living under the cold war. For what? Ok wikileaks is a laundering program for the FSB. What prevents the US, an endlessly more resourceful nation, from having a similar operation?

This is the ultimate level of whataboutism -- "what about this program that I can't think of an example of but that you presumably could have if you wanted to?"

Even if we grant your premises here, which, again, actually requires quite a bit of work since you're referencing a hypothetical operation that may or may not exist but that you can conceive of, it does not seem particularly surprising that, as Americans, we might oppose a foreign nation attacking our sovereignty but not oppose an American operation not attacking our sovereignty. (Personally I don't really think we should be messing with other people's sovereignty either. But even if you assume we're totally self-interested, it's not like the argument makes no sense.)

Do you genuinely expect us to say "well, Russia hacked our election, but that's actually fine with us since we also have spies?" Does your country have spies? Does that justify American meddling in your elections?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I treat them as though they're cold war Russia because Putin is a product of cold war Russia and is following the playbook (foundations of geopolitics) of cold war Russia.

We have boring US-friendly news channels and stuff (one of them had a scandal where something super anti-semitic got on the air within the past few years) but they're not out there pushing anti-vaxx bullshit. Russia is an authoritarian mafia state dictatorship run by a guy who's interested in destabilizing western and non-western countries so he can expand his mafia state. This is why the Maginstky act pissed him off so much- it hit right at what he cares about: Money (and thus power.)

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Chelsea Manning has released a statement:

Honestly this statement feels pretty reasonable to me. People are not obligated to testify as witnesses if they don't want to.

If Chelsea has actually violated some sort of immunity agreement, the prosecutor should bring charges.

Although the judge has the legal authority to hold her in contempt for as long as he wants, that doesn't justify her imprisonment, it just demonstrates the staggering reach of criminal contempt. Its power requires a similar level of responsibility. It is not clear to me that the judge is exercising that level of responsibility here.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this statement feels pretty reasonable to me. People are not obligated to testify as witnesses if they don't want to.

If Chelsea has actually violated some sort of immunity agreement, the prosecutor should bring charges.

Although the judge has the legal authority to hold her in contempt for as long as he wants, that doesn't justify her imprisonment, it just demonstrates the staggering reach of criminal contempt. Its power requires a similar level of responsibility. It is not clear to me that the judge is exercising that level of responsibility here.

Anyone refusing to answer questions like that would be jailed until they comply.

Deleted member 8777

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the ultimate level of whataboutism -- "what about this program that I can't think of an example of but that you presumably could have if you wanted to?"

Even if we grant your premises here, which, again, actually requires quite a bit of work since you're referencing a hypothetical operation that may or may not exist but that you can conceive of, it does not seem particularly surprising that, as Americans, we might oppose a foreign nation attacking our sovereignty but not oppose an American operation not attacking our sovereignty. (Personally I don't really think we should be messing with other people's sovereignty either. But even if you assume we're totally self-interested, it's not like the argument makes no sense.)

Do you genuinely expect us to say "well, Russia hacked our election, but that's actually fine with us since we also have spies?" Does your country have spies? Does that justify American meddling in your elections?
I agree you should have sovereignty. The question then remains did the russians commit unforgivable crimes in regards to your elections? Should they be nuked for helping the opposition or should you move away further from democracy? Or is the whole thing just a big sham and an excuse for the dogshit democratic party?